(peri)menopause

JustBrooke

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 11:54 am
Her and Dad both walk alot and they have a treadmill that they run on.
Also....they are avid tennis players. They put their own court in at home. That's why I grew up loving tennis so much... was around me all the time.

Hmmmmm maybe that's it. Smile
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 12:14 pm
...and don't talk to me about 'vaginal dryness' :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 12:27 pm
I won't - that hasn't been a problem yet.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 12:35 pm
Give it time...
:wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 01:32 pm
great.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 02:13 pm
You wouldn't express any astonishment about differences among women's noses or chins or busts or backsides. Why marvel that some women's hormones are better regulated than those of less fortunate women.

Exercise does make a big difference--for the better.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 08:58 pm
Women, who are somewhat overweight, make high levels of estrogen from stored fat, and thus don't have many of the symptoms, that very thin women have.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2005 09:45 pm
Stored fat--breasts or elsewhere--also means concentrations of pesticides, herbicides and all the other goodies awarded to those of us at the top of the food chain.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 11:38 am
smorgs, you could try flax oil gel caps or liquid. 1 tsp (4 gels) 2 to 3 times/day should help.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 11:46 am
I've been eating that Bergen bread...you familiar?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 11:57 am
But the flax is cooked in that, no? Didn't someone here say it's better uncooked?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2005 12:14 pm
no, do you know how much Omega-3 is in each slice?

Each gelcap of oil is 1000mg. Each tsp of liquid is 4000. I have some commercially milled flaxseed that is 2600/Tbs so it depends on how much is in the bread. You're looking for a total of 8,000 - 12,000 mg/day which I think is a lot to get out of bread.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Jan, 2005 11:33 pm
I bought cold-pressed flaxseed in gel-cap form. Took one this evening.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 10:54 pm
I've been sporatically taking flax seed. I have been having hot flashes again for the last 2 weeks. I was sweating this morning in my 60 degree house (hadn't turned the heat back up because I hadn't gotten cold).

So, could hot flashes be a result of a chronic sinus infection? Just a shot in the dark.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 11:10 pm
Somehow I doubt it. Thinking perimenopause, but of course I don't know. It may be a coincidence, re your body therm.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 11:17 pm
Little K, to me it seems way early that you would be into menopause stuff.

On the other hand, I have a long time friend who married in her late thirties and they found she couldn't conceive, re being in pre meno. They went for adoption and adopted... and shortly thereafter he died, between the adoption and the birth. Of course she was beside herself. (And so was he.)

He had had hodgkins, but it was long in the past, they thought. They were in love. She of course kept the child, who is now probably about twenty.

I am not so sure my friend was ready as any of those junctures presented themselves, but she geared up and went on.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 11:20 pm
I suppose I should changed the thread's title... to PERImenopause.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 11:40 pm
I have no idea if you are in peri or not. Peri was not known about, at least in my hearing, when I was 35 or 37.... this level of delineation is relatively new.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 08:58 am
Interesting thread. I have read alot and some of the points I wanted to offer my 2 cents on have been answered.. but.. here goes.

Hot flashes happen for women. Sometimes they are so small we dont even notice them. They get progressively stronger as we age and our hormones are not as ' in balance' as they used to be. In this respect, with the strength you have been experiencing in such a short time (( less then a month it seems? )) Call a gyno, get a PAP smear.. I know you have no family history, or trace amounts of family history of cancers and such, but you are a woman and cancer is a big thing. You have also spent time smoking. Cigarette smoke contains hundreds of chemicals that remain in the body for YEARS after your first cigarette. These chemicals have been found to speed up certain types of cancer growth, depleat certian brain chemicals ..etc...etc..etc... for long periods of time after you stop smoking.
36 is a bit young for showing signs of menopause. But , in my experience, not uncommon. When I first started working in a GP office when I was 24, I saw a woman who was 31 be diagnosed with menopause. Of course, at the time, there was a big fuss about it and she actually tried to sue the doc for misdiagnosis.. until 2 years later, she stopped having her period. 3 doctors and many tests later, it was confirmed, she was going through menopause. Granted.. that is sort of an extreme situation given her age, but like I said, not completely uncommon.
I saw some referrance to soy intake in the thread too. And yes, you need to be very careful with the amounts of soy you consume. Soy has estrogen, and just like a prescription estrogen replacement, it sets your body's natural balance completely off. I too many times see women say "" Its natural, there is no harm"" I dont think you are one of these women, BUT, my opinion on this recient soy craze is this:
Our bodies ( womens) create estrogen naturally. It knows when to up the production, and when to slow it down. Estrogen effects everything from fat cells to seratonin in our brains. When we add more, our bodies dont register it because it wasnt produced BY our bodies. There for, you are compounding what is there already. In doing that , women fuel certain cancers with out even knowing it. Endometreosis ( spelling?) is fueled by estrogen and progesterone. 2 naturally occuring hormones in womens bodies. In adding soy and other estrogens to your body you can advertantly be feeding a cancer you are not aware of. Estrogen supplements are given to women who are post menopausal for a reason. Thier bodies no longer produce enough to sustain brain health, female health etc.. Not necessary for those of us who are not going through menopause. Until you are diagnosed with menopause, watch your intake of estrogen compounds.
Not saying that you should completely AVOID all soy, just dont rely on it for a source of protien, or make it a staple in your diet.
Dry skin, dry hair, could also be a sign of low B-12 amounts, and other protien related fats. Someone said Omega 3's. Great suggestion. As we age, our bodies loose the ability to process and digest certain vitamins and minerals. That lack of ability shows up first in our skin and hair. Some of the side effects that have nothing to do with female hormones are - Grey skin tint, thinning hair, flakey nails, odd smelling bowel movements, strange colored urine, acne, yellow or slightly red tinted eyes, redness in the tips of our noses, loss of taste, very dry feet or wierd smelling sweat from our feet. ( geeze.. being a woman is complicated huh! Laughing )
For a good balance in a womans body , the basic essentials are b-12, omega 3's , calcium, and a few others I can not recall before morning coffee.. but I will look them up for you.
I still recommend you signing up for a pap. Ewww.. I hate getting those, and I try to avoid them at all costs, but they are important and can help a doc in finding out if your hormones are lower then they should be.
Any-who. I will read through my books about this subject and post anything else i see that may help ya.

> whispering< did i mention a pap smear? ;-)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 11:03 am
Quote:
When perimenopause starts and how long it lasts varies. You'll probably notice signs of impending menopause, such as menstrual irregularities, sometime in your 40s. But some women notice changes as early as their mid-30s.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=DS00554

Could be some other kind of glandular weirdness. What controls body temp?
0 Replies