Can I tell you my story?

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2017 05:54 pm
I'm a married woman and I had a 1 night stand with a woman. Before ill wishing me, please hear me out. I was sexually abused as a child by a man and a woman also, my family were unfaithful to their spouse, divorce was common, my mother has 6 children to 5 different men. I went through boyfriend after boyfriend at high school, and cheated on one, I was promiscuous and had no idea of how to be in a relationship.
When I left home I had a lesbian relationship for 2 years, I was flirty but I didn't think so, she was a big woman, and mentally and physically abused me to the point she dragged me by my hair and kicked me in the stomach repeatedly, I attempted suicide and ended up in hospital for 3 days. I left the relationship, she stalked me and didn't leave me alone until I entered another relationship with my now husband. I was still in the same mind-set, freely talking to guys without a thought of how my then boyfriend now husband felt about it. It caused problems and he became extremely jealous, it didn't help that other guys kept commenting about me to him. His jealousy turned to rage, and he became physically abusive, and controlling. I couldn't see why he was so upset, and put it down to being controlling. As time went on he became emotionally and mentally abusive. I couldn't see that my talking and laughing with guys was making him so insecure, I had been this way my whole life, it was normal for me.
He spent more and more time with his friends and wouldn't let me go out. I got pregnant and it all escalated to the point I ended up packing a bag and leaving. We eventually got back together, I had another baby, long story short, the vicious cycle never slowed down or stopped it just got worse and worse. I attempted suicide again and went to hospital, I became bulimic which helped deal with how I was feeling, my self esteem was extremely low, and I was depressed.
His friends were number 1, he was always going out I was always staying home, if I did go out on the odd occasion I would get absolutely blind drunk. We eventually moved away to start fresh, the relationship went from bad to worse, the physical, mental and emotional abuse became daily, I was so depressed I would sit in a room and punch myself or binge eat and purge.
I got pregnant again but had a miscarriage, I had a mental breakdown. The relationship went over and over in an abusive cycle of absolute hate, I couldn't leave because I had no where to go and no money. We moved again, I got pregnant and had another baby. Everything stayed the same stuck in that cycle, I would wish he would have a car accident and not come home, I hated him but loved him and couldn't leave. We fought all the time, daily. We ended up getting married, biggest mistake I made. Nothing changed. I was so mentally unstable by that time after 12 years of it all, I would cut myself. I turned to alcohol to take me out of my life, I became an alcoholic. His constant abuse withered everything about myself to nothing. I had 2 more mental breakdowns. After another 4 years of this something happened, I had birthday drinks with a friend and my husband picked me up, he was angry because I wasn't waiting outside, we had a big argument, we got to a set of lights and I got out of the car and ran off and hid so he couldn't find me, I hated him, I was afraid of him. I was a mess, I slept in the long grass, I walked, ran,
took my bra off kept my top on, hoping some creep would kidnap me a rape me to punish me then kill me and put me out of my misery. My husband found me and punched me repeatedly on the back of my head before pushing me into the car, I got out and ran off, the police stopped me and took me home. 2 weeks later, I was drinking with another friend, a woman, we were extremely drunk, this is when I cheated on my husband, I wish it never happened and hate myself for what I did. I now feel like my husband deserves better, I'm now the person he had always accused me of being. I'm racked with guilt and shame. I have told him, his reaction has made me feel like the horrible person I am. I want him to be happy, I have offered him a way out so he can start fresh with someone else but he doesn't want to. I feel ashamed that my children have witnessed us arguing and him being physically abusive toward me in the past. He is full of anger, he always has been. I've tried my hardest to be a good Mum, my children and I are very close. The only thing I've ever done right in my life was to be a good Mum the best I can. I want my husband to find happiness with someone else because we destroy each other but he wants us to stay together. The abuse has mellowed out a lot, it's been around 4 months since he last physically abused me, strangled me.
Please help with some advice

jespah

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2017 07:21 pm
@Intheory,
Yes, of course you can tell us, and I'm glad you did.

You need to get out yesterday.

Your husband's feelings should not be your primary thought right now. Instead, your primary thoughts should be your own and your children's collective well-being.

Staying in this marriage and with this unrepentant abuser is bad for both.

You say you have five half-siblings. Are you close with any of them? If so, then make contact. Tell them what you told us. Copying and pasting this post is fine. Ask them if they have or know of a place where at least some of your children can stay, or you can, or you can with all of your children. It's not great to break up siblings, but it's better if they are out of the home, and if you have to do that piecemeal, then so be it.

Get them a place or places at the same time you get one for yourself. While this is happening, get on birth control ASAP so you aren't dealing with yet another pregnancy and child.

BTW, if you are not close with any of your half-siblings, then talk to someone you work with, or even HR about finding a place or places, or someone at church if you go, or a friend. If none of those can work, talk to your doctor or your children's pediatrician.

When you're out, work on your drinking. Alcoholics Anonymous is a great resource that a lot of people swear by. If you aren't interested in a 12 step program, then talk to your doctor about controlling and containing your substance abuse in some way. I highly recommend you take some sort of step like this so you can have a clear head and be the best parent you can be to your children. They love you and they depend upon you. It's good if you are at your best.

Talk to social services in your area. Get job training if you need it. And most importantly, you'll need to get mental health counseling. You can get a referral from your doctor. You need to talk to an impartial professional about what is going on, so you'll have tools to go forward and cope without turning to booze or bulimia, or thinking that his abuse is in any way your fault. Because it's not.

Of course if you or any of your children are in immediate danger, pack a bag with overnight clothes for you and your children, any medications any of you take, your wallet, and any ID you have which might be separate (if you have a passport or the like, take it with you), and your phone if you have one, and go to the nearest women's shelter and call the cops.

I'm serious. This man you married does not love you. He only wants to keep you married to him so he can keep using you as a punching bag. If a friend of yours was being treated like this, you would call the police, wouldn't you? So be a good friend to yourself.

Get out while you can, and take your children with you. Life does not have to be this way.

We're all rooting for you.

Here are some places which might be able to help:
http://www.ncadv.org/
http://www.nationalcenterdvtraumamh.org/resources/national-domestic-violence-organizations/
http://www.thehotline.org/ (800) 799-7233
Intheory

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2017 11:50 pm
@jespah,
".......or thinking that his abuse is in any way your fault. Because it's not."

Is it not my fault that I made him act this way? That is what he tells me and I feel responsible for that.
Intheory

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2017 12:17 am
@jespah,
And thank you for your response. I'm feeling confused and not sure if I can go through with leaving. I appreciate the time you took to reply.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2017 05:17 am
@Intheory,
It is so not your fault. He's a big boy. He can take responsibility for his own actions, feelings, and abuse.
0 Replies