Calling all Conservatives...

blatham

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 09:30 am
The following is a serious question related to research with which I'm presently engaged. All responses will be sincerely appreciated.

To any non-conservative who might wander in, I'd ask that you observe if you care to, but not post.

I am seeking to better understand your feelings about iconic Americans. I am looking for those individuals, perhaps historical figures, perhaps modern, also characters from literature or film...politicians, artists, etc, really those personalities whom you identify with as true Americans.

I expect, for example, Lincoln to fit on most people's lists. But how about writers...eg, Twain? Or an artist such as John Wayne. Or perhaps the Jimmy Stewart character from "It's a Wonderful Life". Or Huck Finn? Perhaps Johnny Appleseed. What folks, real or characterized, are the ones who set American dreams and ideas on the right track.

Please think about it, take you time, and add names/figures later if the idea strikes you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,377 • Replies: 66
No top replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 12:10 pm
Blatham,

There is as much variety among Americans who, at one time or another, represented a part of the often conflicting "truth" about this country as there is in any large country. There is no single "truth" about America and no single class of people who represent the "truth" about it - any more than there is for Canada.

Thomas Jefferson represented a certain truth about America, as did Alexander Hamilton, James Monroe and other Federalists, though I admire the latter more. Robert E. Lee and Abraham Lincoln also represented conflicting and complimentary truths about this country which existed at the same critical moment in our history.

Woodrow Wilson represents the truth of a certain still-present aspect of American political thought, though I consider him to be one of history's great fools, and his political legacy quite lamentable. Dwight Eisenhower was perhaps his opposite, also a characteristic representative, and one who handled his moment far better.

I don't think a liberal - conservative taxonomy can do justice to the complexity and many-dimensioned character of the reality of our history (or anyone else's either).

Do you intend to draw some conclusions from the perhaps differing lists of iconic figures of conservatives and liberals? (I'll confess I have a hard time assigning any meaning to that.) For example I would include Presidents Wilson, Roosevelt (both of them) and Reagan on any such list of iconic political leaders, though I don't favor them all.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 12:53 pm
thanks george. I'll let you in on the purpose at the end of the exercise but it doesn't relate to this site and I've no intention of contesting anything anyone might say here.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 02:13 am
Putting these out in no particular order, just as they come to me ...

President Theodore Roosevelt (Avid environmentalist, and a man of tru character he defined the 'America Muscular' approach to politics and made the United States a true world power)

Fredrick Douglas (Disliked many aspects of America and had the courage to stand for his beliefs when men of his colour weren't even allowed to stand up)

Corporal Alvin York (Didn't want to go to war, didn't want to kill his fellow man, when he was required to, he did his duty as few other in history ever have ... when he got home, he refused to capitalize on his 'fame and notariety' and just quietly retired to his farm to live with his wife... truly one of the greatest Americans )

These men represent the three aspects of America very well:

The Man of Vision and Drive who looks ever to the horizon.

The Man of Dissent who stands firm in pointing out the flaws in the system.

The Man of Peace and Humility who it is dangerous to rouse to anger.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 06:22 am
thanks kindly, fedral
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 09:23 am
All of the persons or characters whom you mention in your initial post strike me as quintessentially American.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 10:54 am
So are you looking for an ambassador of American values, Americanism, or Conservative ideals?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 10:54 am
thanks, brandon. If others come to mind, please toss 'em in here.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 11:54 am
H.G. Wells (who was invited to the White House in 1906) also thought Theodore Roosevelt to be a perfect representative of the American people.

Aside to author: Bernie, what do you think we invite G OB to do the writeup we discussed last year? He wasn't a party to the old Cafe, but knows the subject.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:10 pm
Like George said above, your question about conservatives feel are "true Americans" doesn't compute.

What is an American anyway? Does one have to have been born and lived within the boundaries of the United States to qualify? There are those who've dedicated their lives to liberty and even the U.S. Constitution who never set eyes on our fruited plain. Does that make them less American than General Arnold, Gen. Wilkenson, or those who betrayed the country to the Nazi's, or the Communists? For me Lafayette, Simon Bolivar, Cochise, and Zapatta might qualify, if they met your criteria. I think your intent, however, is to limit our choices to those who have, or had, American citizenship without excluding women or slaves.

Speaking only for myself, those I most admire are: among the Presidents; Washington, J. Adams, Mason, the early Madison, and Gen. Greene. Jefferson is suppose has to be included, but I heartily detest the man. I would include all those who served as President, though Buchanan and Nixon are a bit problematic. I agree with George that Wilson is greatly overrated. Both Lincoln and FDR did some things that were of questionable Constitutionality, but their leadership was essential to the times. Clinton and The Shrub both qualify. BTW, I like Burr and consider him a better man than many of those who have condemned him.

Though the reality of the following doesn't always match the legend here are some icons that many would say describe the "true American". Daniel Boone, Davy Crocket, Sam Houston and the heroes of the Alamo are icons of note. I don't think much of Billy the Kid, Jesse James, or other notable outlaws, but I like Hickock's legend. The 49'rs and Klondike adventurers typify a sort of American optimism and willingness to take risks that is admirable, though much of their legacy is very, very dark. The Underground Railway and those who agitated for abolition, women's rights, and prohibition are all movements that are a vital part of the American ideal of making the United States better and more worthy of the mantle of liberty.

I would include the volunteers who went off to defeat the Spanish in Cuba, and even those who joined the Communists to fight the Fascists in Spain. The Dough Boys and G.I Joe along with the Women's Aid Society and Rosy the Riveter are part of what we are. The Labor Movement was sullied by Communist leaders whose first loyalty was to the Russia rather than the United States, and by organized crime. We thought that we were being "true Americans" when we demonstrated against the Government during the Vietnam period, but we were actually unknowingly serving the cause of our enemies. What counts most; the intent, or the actuality of one's actions?

Steinbeck, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Erskin Caldwell, and Steven King are only a small list of writers who've contributed to what has become the American image. Superman, Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck are All-Americans along with "The Four Horsemen" and Hollywood Joe are part of our iconography. What is it about Bogart, Wayne, Monroe, Madonna, and other movie stars that makes them emblematic of America? Big screens and scripted action and special effects that provide simple answers to complex problems I suppose. The reality of American life isn't Main Street or the Grapes of Wrath, it is the reality of American life in small towns and the daily struggle of anonymous men and women to make the most of their own lives. The farmer and small business person who works everyday to build something better for their families is the True American. The lawyer in to Kill a Mockingbird typifies what is best in us all better than all the action heroes who perform astounding feats of daring-do, but they are project an image of courage while real courage and dedication to liberty and dedication to the Constitution is too often overlooked.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:33 pm
Well said, Asherman, and to add to your message:

"I AM the people--the mob--the crowd--the mass.
Do you know that all the great work of the world is
done through me?
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the
world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history....."

Carl Sandburg
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:57 pm
Those you mentioned...
JFK
Robert Heinlein
Walt Whitman
Edison
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 12:59 pm
Ted Nugent
Fred Bear
My Dad
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 01:05 pm
Ronald Reagan
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 02:17 pm
Music;

Stephen Foster
Victor Herbert
George Gershwin
Richard Rogers
Aaron Copeland
Ferde Grofe

many others
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 02:30 pm
asherman...good thorough answer, thanks kindly

and to all else as well.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 02:32 pm
HofT wrote:
H.G. Wells (who was invited to the White House in 1906) also thought Theodore Roosevelt to be a perfect representative of the American people.

Aside to author: Bernie, what do you think we invite G OB to do the writeup we discussed last year? He wasn't a party to the old Cafe, but knows the subject.

Hi H
Gosh, not sure. He's a busy fellow. And getting on in years.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 06:24 pm
Barry Goldwater
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 09:10 pm
blatham wrote:
HofT wrote:

Hi H
Gosh, not sure. He's a busy fellow. And getting on in years.

Go to hell!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 09:20 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Ted Nugent
Fred Bear
My Dad

Fred Bear the archery guru? Was he into any sort of politics??
0 Replies