History of film research report (what do i do?? DUE THURSDAY)

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 03:01 pm
I've been having troubles knowing where to start and how to even write a report in general.. I haven't had to do something this complicated even with being in high level english classes. I guess i find it too tedious and boring.. but I also can't even really understand what my teacher is asking for.
Here is the outline with what to do and what he expects:

History of Film

Assignment:

Research the creative, technical and formative history of Film as an artform.

Creative:
Your research needs to demonstrate the evolution and timeline of significant creative individuals and the stories they developed.

Who are they?
What did they create?
How did it affect society?
Are they remembered today for their accomplishments?

Technical:
Your research needs to illustrate the significant technological advances that allowed film to become a significant medium of communication in early and present day society.

Who are the main inventors of film technology?
How were films made in the earliest days of the medium?

Formative:
How did the visual language of film evolve from the earliest days of the medium.

What are the conventions of film?
Define the stages of films? How did they change from classic to revisionist?
Who are the main artists who set the standards of film production and the way information and ideas are communicated?

Your assignment needs to include the following:

A 1000 word written report.
A slide presentation with images and videos demonstrating the concepts you found in your research.
Short clips and reviews of the films you used in your research.

I'm having troubles even understanding what he's asking for because his wording is too .. complicated idk..
I have cried really hard and procrastinated enough and it is due on thursday. He only gave us a week and he was in a bad mood when he began making this assignment literally on the spot because some people misbehaved and me + 2 other students just didn't know what exactly we should be working on because he doesn't teach us anything about filming! (P.S- he's the freaking film teacher!!) we could be shooting stuff or brainstorming except we dont even understand how to use a damn camera! the rest of the class was goofing off and our teachers just picked on certain people! then he called us uncreative because it's apparently all our faults.

I just need some help dumbing down what this report is all about, how i should start it, what I should use to get my information, how to not lost my mind, and maybe if there is some sort of free service where someone writes your report thingy for you (because that would be godly-- and probably asking for too much...).. thanks

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 03:30 pm
If you can't understand this very detailed outline, I don't know what to tell you!

I'm at a loss as to what you don't understand.

Sounds like you just don't want to do the work.
zimandchowder4evr

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 03:50 pm
@PUNKEY,
Sorry, I am pretty frustrated by it. I think im overthinking it a bit too much....

One question I have is how I should a write this report. I really haven't written a proper one before. should I approach it like an essay or is it different in some way from an essay?
jespah

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 03:54 pm
@zimandchowder4evr,
Have you ever written a research paper before?

Research papers are where you put forth a premise, you support it with your research, you refute what doesn't support it (also with research), and then you draw your conclusion.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 03:55 pm
@zimandchowder4evr,
I know, because of my family, a lot about the Hollywood (so called) film industry. I know, by seeing movies from elsewhere in the world, more. Views vary, and that is probably universal.
My father was an early film editor, late twenties, into the thirties, and more. I considered going into that myself.

I think I'd be right that the do-ers would be appalled by your teacher's questions.

Good luck.

I will add, check out UCLA film department; they may be able to help you.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 04:25 pm
@zimandchowder4evr,
I know, because of my family, a lot about the Hollywood (so called) film industry. I know, by seeing movies from elsewhere in the world, more. Views vary, and that is probably universal.
My father was an early film editor, late twenties, into the thirties, and more. I considered going into that myself.

I think I'd be right that the do-ers would be appalled by your teacher's questions.

Good luck.
I will add, check out UCLA film department; they may be able to help you.
0 Replies

zimandchowder4evr

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2017 04:31 pm
@jespah,
Thank you. that helps. I haven't done much like this and this assignment kind of came out of nowhere so i really appreciate the help Smile
0 Replies