Members' Occupation

Peace and Love

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 03:16 pm
I'm paid to be an Accountant.....

However, my first love is Music. I was a Music major in college for 5 years, before switching to Accounting.

I love my job. I work for a group of 30 young creative architects. We specialize in school buildings. Several of our architects play music, also, and we have an "office band".

Very Happy
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 03:17 pm
Seeing the sorry state of youth - kind of wishing I had taken the teacher path.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 03:18 pm
P & L
what do you play?
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 03:39 pm
Steissd-Your assumption is correct. The Air Force is a part of the armed forces, as are the navy, the army, the marines, and the coast guard. Your poll, however, lists "army" not "armed forces"
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 03:58 pm
OK, the mistake is corrected, I changed "army" for more general term "Armed Forces".
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 04:40 pm
Wouldn't 'military' have worked as a catch-all?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 04:42 pm
Well, you are right. But the Armed Forces are basically the same.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 04:43 pm
Just checking, because I always lump them into the word 'military'.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:06 pm
When I was a kid,..I wanted to be a space-man,..it didn't work out Laughing

I did follow my second choice, which was cooking, and have been doing that since I was thirteen years old.

I've been working for the last two years as a personal chef for a family. I never considered working in a private home, but was helping a friend cater a party at their house, and they wouldn't let me leave. Laughing

I had planned on opening my own restaurant, but have since decided that I want to "work to live", rather than "live to work", so I am currently in the planning stages of catering business.

I like the business because I love to cook, it's a good creative outlet, and everyone's gotta eat, so there's always work.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:07 pm
And Jerry's good at it too!
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:08 pm
Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:10 pm
You don't want to "live to work," so you're opening a catering business? Although it might not be as day-to-day as a restaurant, that's still a tough-ass business. I worked for a catering company for a summer...13-14 hour days, it was tough.
Then again, there's different kinds of "catering," I guess.

The only thing I can cook is "skillet sensations."
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:15 pm
Hiya Slappy!

It's MUCH less intense than restaurants are.
I guess 12-13 hour days, beat 24/7, which is what I'd be doing if I had a restaurant Laughing

It's alot of schlepping stuff around, but it is definately easier to take time off.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:16 pm
Mmmm,..skillet sensations!! Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:16 pm
that's right, if you don't want to cater, you just don't book that week....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:26 pm
I agree...restaurants are a crazy business...plus many fail.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 07:07 pm
I work for an NGO. Was hired as web editor, originally, but now do more allround work - writing funding applications, organising a conference now and then, co-ordinating a project, and still trying to maintain a website or two ;-)

That's "other", i guess ;-)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 08:00 pm
after training as a Librarian, I'm now a nerd!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 10:34 pm
Started as a medical reseach/clinical lab technologist, studied art at night for years, switched after 15 yrs in lab to landscape architecture school to make a living somehow by drawing, now am a landscape architect and painter, and have a gallery, and still don't make a lot of money, but am pretty happy with what I do. But..as seal said, I am not what I do either. What I really wanna do is write...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 10:39 pm
Hmm, did this and that before starting a social services agency from scratch, directed that for 3 years, left to be a full-time mom, have done several consultant-type gigs from home. Have been approached about writing (BA English w/ an emphasis on creative writing, M.Ed deaf ed) a magazine article about sozlet and signing -- have been kinda sorta working on that (should buckle down) and would love to get into that, career-wise.
0 Replies