Cruisin'

Eva

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:19 pm
Ooh, a Mississippi River cruise does sound tempting, but not at the first of March. It would be too cold.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 10:38 pm
If hubby and I enjoy our cruise experience, the Miss. cruise would definitely be one to look into for a later date. Not for March, tho. No way.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 09:09 am
OH! Just thought of this. Do we need passports?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 09:25 am
not on the mississippi cruise (heh, heh ...). probably don't need passport for carib, but check with travel agent. we've always found it easiest to travel with a passport. even when we are going across to good ole u.s., we flash our passport for quick 'getaway' . hbg
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:21 am
OOH! OOH!...I just remembered a quick cruise that I DID enjoy. I got hired to play with a band on a ship that traveled up the Indian River in Florida. We'd set off from Ft Pierce on Sat morning and turn around in Titusville to cruise back on Sunday. That was a great cruise. And I got paid for it!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:43 am
Eva's "too cold" made me giggle. It's all sooooooo relative. A friend of mine did the Mississippi cruise at the end of October. Thought it was wonderfully warm, while the locals were complaining that it was cold. Made me think of a trip to Myrtle Beach with the hamburgers many years ago, when mrs. hamburger and I were the only ones using the outdoor pool - as people walked past with jackets on.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 10:49 am
Reminds me of my first winter in Florida when I was body surfing while the locals were collecting shells wearing ski parkas
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:17 am
our first cruise was an alaska cruise in september. just about everybody warned against it : rain, cold, snow. it was a wonderful cruise, no lineups, the locals were happy to see us and talk to us, roses were still blooming ! (should do it again). before returning east we took the train from vancouver to calgary(awesome scenery !), and on arriving in calgary we were promptly greeted with a snowstorm ! hbg
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 01:08 pm
eoe wrote:
OH! Just thought of this. Do we need passports?

Our cruise visited Nassau and I believe we needed either a passport or a birth certificate to prove citizenship in order to get off the ship there. The websites for the cruise lines should cover this.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 03:43 pm
Eoe, you can get by on a birth certificate, but you'll be showing it around a LOT. I wouldn't take a chance on losing it. It only takes about 2 weeks to get a passport here. Check with a travel agent.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 03:49 pm
And ehBeth, we Suthunnuhs don't head for the pool 'til it's 85 degrees at least. Preferably 90.

We lived in Cleveland, Ohio about 20 years ago (for a short period of time) and were appalled to see the natives at the pool the first day it hit 70. Mah mamma would've told them they'd catch their death!

<LOL> Anyhow, March on the Mississippi River would likely bring temperatures from 30 to 45. Even colder with wind chill. It gets plenty cold down South that time of year. I've nearly frozen my ass off at Mardi Gras in New Orleans before (late February/early March)...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 06:23 pm
Eva, I've been known to go into a lake (on a dime bet) while there was still ice floating in it. My favourite bikini shot of me (in my early 20's) is an Easter weekend in northern Ontario - with a pile of snow in the background on the hill. But the sun was shining, and it was above freezing - I was good to go.

30 - 45 in March is shorts and tees weather. We're bred differently up here.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 06:41 pm
EVA : " Even colder with wind chill ". what's wind chill ? don't know nothin' 'bout WINDCHILL here in caaanada - we know CHILLBLAINS though ! enjoy your WINTER !!! hbg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 07:17 pm
Having sailed on RVs (mostly North) i dont like being on a ship thats bigger than an acre. We cruise on our small lobster cabin boat and weve been all over in high seas and strong winds. When youre too busy sailing, you dont get sick. We dont go much more than 1 to 200 mi out and usuallyplot a course that leads into natural areas we wish to visit. We have a small zodiac tender to get inshore on sandy islaands where our draw is too deep.

We tried a cruise once and i got sick immediately even before we got underway and most of tthe people on the boaat were in "Gods waiting room" mode , maybe today wed have more in common , but i dont care for most old farts9even though Im getting there) cuz they just bitch and are scurrying around looking for the next buffets.
i got sick on "The Cat" from Bar Haarbour to Nova SCotia. im that way with planes too, i feel more comfortable in ssmall planes (not choppers, hate choppers)

Id go on one of those special interest cruises maybe, if it didnt last more than about 3 days. A bunch of trekkies or real estate investing, or Willie nelson look-alikes cruise would be a hoot.
One time I got a tape from a ttravel agent friend , It was a tape about a gay cruise . We gave it to some acquaintences who were talking about going on a cruise together. When they finally got it that this was a gay cruise (what the hell--wheres all the women-the guy would say)
once he got it, he was very angry and they havent talked to us much since. talk about having your head smartly up your ass, these people werent oiur types anyway. He was a rush Limbaugh fan .

TThere would be a cruise , TAlking heads and their sycophants. Makes one think about Lusitania
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 07:45 pm
I was once traveling from Boston to Nassau via Miami and much to my surprise the only people on the plane from Boston to Miami NOT going on a cruise were my dh and I. Seems we had booked the only two extra seats on a charter flight associated with the cruise. The party started as they boarded the plane and by the time we landed in Miami I'd decided I never had to go on a cruise. How do you get away from people who are driving you crazy on a floating can?

Once in Miami we boarded our flight to Nassau. Two, maybe three days later we see the same people from our flight in the Nassau marketplace and they were still partying high. The next Saturday we flew back to Miami to get a connecting flight to Boston. We were the first ones in our gate area. Two by two (sounds like an arc) they started checking in and we had the pleasure of a return trip with the same 100 or so people that we had flown down with.

I really don't ever want to take a cruise.....
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 08:32 pm
a lot depends on the cruise line you are going with. we've mainly sailed on holland-america and their mainly dutch officers run a fairly tight ship. norwegian crise line is a little less 'strict' - if that is the right word. we have met all kinds of people on our cruises : young and old, rich and not so rich, straights and gays ... ... but have always had a good time. after the first day or two we've always found some compatibile people. this was the first cruise where we asked for our own table for dinner(in the past have always asked for a table for 6 or 8), but still had plenty of occasion to mix during breakfast and lunch when there are no assigned tables. as i mentioned earlier, we've never been bored - maybe we are easily satisfied. just being on or near the water always is a happy occasion for us. we really enjoy cruisin' but i'm sure it's not for everyone. hbg
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:41 am
How's your travel planning coming along, eoe? Have you booked a cruise yet?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:06 pm
I've been away on business but back today and recharging. Several emails from various cruise lines and agencies were in the inbox this morning. I'm still nervous about actually booking, tho. So much money, so much commitment.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:57 pm
I hope you choose the Roaming Gnome. He's a marvelous companion. <smile>.

eoe, if you're feeling a bit tense, check out Roger's funny about cruising.

It's called "One Helluva Cruise"
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 06:59 pm
I did it. Booked our cruise. March 7 -11, Royal Caribbean to the Bahamas. We have a junior suite with balcony. I'm already excited!! Are we going to have a fabulous 10 year anniversary or what?
0 Replies