Cambridge English - Reading

Sat 4 Nov, 2017 07:19 pm
Hello everyone,
I am preparing myself on CAE exam. I would like to ask you, why the answer is not C) (=> see the last sentence)?
Thank you so much for answers.

The reviewer mentions Gold in order to:
A emphasise the wide range of topics that Hurst covers in each book.
B explain what he sees as a weakness in Hurst's approach.
C) support his opinion that Birdlife deserves to be very popular.
D) express his disappointment with Birdlife in comparison with Gold.

Birds are present in our lives in so many ways - as pets, as part of many people 's diet, even as a source of inspiration that Glenda Hurst's Birdlife is, in some respects, a welcome miscellany of fact and fiction. Her previous book, Gold, was a best-seller, and Hurst has, understandably, chosen to repeat a winning formula. In that book, each chapter focused on a different aspect of the metal, from its financial use to edible gold leaf, but the apparently random order of chapters meant Gold lacked continuity: there was no sense of the author presenting a case and leading us through the steps
of her argument. While each chapter was interesting enough in itself, overall the book seemed lightweight, a series 0f magazine articles. Nevertheless, Gold sold in large numbers, and I see no reason why Birdlife should not repeat that
success.

centrox

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 05:30 am
Read the review and identify when the reviewer first mentions "Gold". Then go on to read what the reviewer says about that book. Ask yourself: "What is the reviewer saying about "Gold"?
dalehileman

Sun 5 Nov, 2017 11:07 am
@centrox,
Cen as I mention in an earlier chat, I am engaged by your engagement. Since your don't Prof, I'd like to hear from you , [email protected]
0 Replies

MartinoKakabo

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 02:53 am
@centrox,
It didn't help. Then what is the answer according to you?
centrox

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 03:37 am
@MartinoKakabo,
Do you think the reviewer liked Gold?
0 Replies

centrox

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 02:25 pm
@MartinoKakabo,
Your choices:

The reviewer mentions Gold in order to:
A emphasise the wide range of topics that Hurst covers in each book.
B explain what he sees as a weakness in Hurst's approach.
C) support his opinion that Birdlife deserves to be very popular.
D) express his disappointment with Birdlife in comparison with Gold.

B is the right answer.

You asked why C is not the right answer. The reviewer clearly does not think that Birdlife deserves to be very popular. I suggested you read the piece because I hoped you would see these things, but you didn't:

The reviewer says that Birdlife is "in some respects ... welcome". That is qualified (less than total) praise. That should alert you. Then he mentions Glenda Hurst's previous book, Gold. He says that book lacked continuity, there was no sense of the the author presenting a case, overall it was lightweight, just a series of magazine articles. THESE ARE CRITICISMS. "Nevertheless", the reviewer says, the book sold in large numbers. In spite of Gold being a bad book, plenty of people bought it. He says that Hurst chose to repeat the formula (that is, Birdlife is as bad as its predecessor). He finishes by saying that Birdlife should (i.e. probably would) sell in large numbers for the same reasons that Gold did (because there are plenty of uncritical readers ready to buy lightweight books).
MartinoKakabo

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 04:24 am
@centrox,
Thanks a lot. Appreciate that.
0 Replies