Company Cutting Corners

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:34 am
Previously I had complained about my company making certain cutbacks since a recent merger. There have been some huge benefit changes, but now the things that are being cut are very petty. This is a very large international company; one of the very largest financial companies. The newest items: our plants, calendars, and it looks like coffee.

Before leaving for a week off, I found out from our facilities contact that we no longer have plant service. It seems the company does not want to pay for some one to come around and water and maintain our plants. If we want plants, we have to water them ourselves. Now I think my time is better served dealing with our clients and making sure they are happy than to water plants, don’t you?

It appears that our order for appointment calendars has been rejected. The calendars cost $8. My position is AVP. I have very strict deadlines with deliverables for my client along with many meetings and conference calls. An appointment calendar is very important to help organize these meetings and deadlines. It is also helpful to have an appointment book at these meetings/conference calls when you need to reschedule or schedule a follow up. Don’t ya think $8 is worth the price to help AVPs keep their meetings and deliverables organized?

Next the coffee machines were removed. No word on these yet, luckily I do not have a caffeine addiction, but I know others that rely on this fix. I also, look at this a future reason to leave the office to get their cup of java.

How cheap can they get????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,095 • Replies: 26
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:36 am
Well, there is the toilet paper...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:41 am
Don’t give them any ideas!!!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:48 am
Finance company, did you say? They are cheap bastards. That's just the way it is. I work for JPMorganChase. We haven't had plants at all in the office since I've been here, and we don't have any coffee machines either. We still get our calendars though. I guess I should be thankful to work in such a wonderfully stimulating environment.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:12 am
Oh sh*t kicky, we work for the same company!!! Has it not gotten significantly worse since the merger.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:16 am
small world

kicky, do you still have toilet paper?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:18 am
Linkat, I had a feeling we might. Laughing

Worse? Yes. Significantly worse? Not sure. I have been here for over five years, and it's always just seemed like a slow descent into hell for me. But then, I'm just a graphics person. It's probably different for you.

How long have you been there?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:21 am
FreeDuck wrote:
small world

kicky, do you still have toilet paper?

Yes, we do, but we have pay toilets.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:21 am
That's so cool!

All of the workplace from hell stories from both of you, and it's the SAME workplace from hell!! :-D
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:22 am
my place (engineering firm) has decided to take away 3 of our 6 annual sick days this year, in order to "keep pace with industry trends"...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:22 am
Actually kicky when I first worked here 5 years this fall, the Co. was Chase. Advertisements up the wazzo stating “Employer of Choice.” And it was a great place to work. Then we merged with JPM and things did change, but so was the economy, everywhere s*cked. I did not get a raise for 2 years. But it was still a decent place to work. I think in Boston we may be a little more isolated than NY and so we have not seen the same impacts until this most recent merger.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:40 am
I was hired at JPMorgan before the mergers. When we merged with Chase I didn't notice much difference on the JPMorgan side. Minor things. Plus, yeah, the economy was in the crapper. This new merger has actually had some bigger annoying changes, now that I think about it, but really, I hate it all, so I just expect it to get progressively worse.

It's funny that you mention the calendar thing. The graphics people don't really need calendars, and we are getting them. He he...want to buy mine? I'll sell it to you for ten bucks!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:43 am
You know what's funny? I just finished writing that post, and I heard one of the administrative assistants come over and tell one of my co-workers to make another choice of calendar because they won't pay for certain ones! How the hell cheap can they be!? Amazing.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:55 am
Great Region, that is exactly how they always explain it to us (when they explain it to us) whenever they make cutbacks, “…to be in line with other companies in our industry.” What they don’t understand is we are a small subset of the company and it is not in line with other companies doing similar work.

Since our merger, the other big change I noticed is the lack of communication of changes. For example, our health insurance changed so dramatically that my premium more than doubled. There was no communication of any major changes, only that it was the annual period for open enrollment in benefits.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:57 am
Kicky that must have been why you were in that dream with me. We were scaling down some sort of scaffolding in a parking garage along with another female A2K member (ehBeth claims it was her). It must have been us trying to escape from work. Does ehBeth work at JPMC too?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:59 am
Nahhhhhhhh. I used to work where Jespah used to work.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:01 pm
You guys are making me feel good about my job! Shocked
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:03 pm
Well maybe ehBeth you were just there for moral support. I suppose that is why Kicky and I were so far ahead of you, we had a reason to get away quicker.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:04 pm
We got an e-mail about the benefits changing, but it didn't really affect me much, so I didn't pay much attention. Communication for the most part is horrible though, no argument there.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 01:08 pm
Well, my benefits are fine and we have coffee machines. Crappy coffee, but it's free. I am just totally uninspired.
0 Replies