Company Cutting Corners

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 03:39 pm
Do you know what else my company has cut? The Wall Street Journal subscriptions. Now this makes no sense whatsoever as we work in the investment industry. Part of our job is to keep up on current issues and regulations facing our industry. And we actually have in our procedures to our clients that one thing we do to keep up to date on current issues/regulations is to read the Wall Street Journal. Well now I don’t now how I can meet my job expectations since the company is not supplying a resource I need.

Also, they have requested that we hand in our cell phones. Actually this is a plus for me as before I was supposed to be available from 9 – 6 everyone week day whether I am in the office or not by cell. So that is one up for me. I wonder how they will explain that one to the clients when they cannot reach an AVP or VP because we are all at the same meeting. One of the reasons we all got cell phones was that clients were irate that they couldn’t get a hold of any managers. Oh well, that’s for upper management to deal with.

And by the way, there is a Wall Street Journal article about the man taking over as CEO and the headlines says….If It Moves, Try to Cut It. The article talks about how this man is known for making cost-cutting left and right. He is the new CEO as a result of the merger I have been discussing, so I guess I am not dreaming that things are getting extremely tight.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 04:05 pm
Ooh, I'd like to see that article. Do you know if I can find that online?

I would be so thankful to him if, after May 1st, he decided to go after the graphics department and cut my job. That way, I'd be fully vested, and getting unemployment. I have a frickin' dream...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 04:20 pm
I think you have pay for a subscription to get it. I would fax it to you if you don’t think it would be a problem at work. Let me know in the next 5 minutes or I am leaving. I could fax it would no name and just send it to the number. I do believe it is in today's WSJ, not sure exactly where as some one game me a copy.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 04:31 pm
Well, it's been more than five minutes, so I guess I'm out of luck. Don't worry about it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 01:44 pm
Just for kicky I found the following article from businessweek. Here is an excerpt:

“…What will a Dimonized J.P. Morgan look like? … he overhauled the bank's board, slicing it from 22 to 13 directors. Next he eliminated such perks as 401(k) matches for top earners and company cell phones for everyone; staffers must now even pay for their own newspaper subscriptions…”

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_05/b3868084_mz020.htm

And here is the link for the article I was talking about yesterday, compliments of Delaware News Journal…
…”Six months after taking over as president of JPMorgan Chase & Co., Jamie Dimon is sharpening his knife again. …Long known as a relentless cost-cutter, Dimon is using many of the same techniques he unleashed during his four-year stint at Bank One in Chicago and before that, when he was a top executive at Citigroup in the 1980s and 1990s. He refers to the process as "waste-cutting."

http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/business/2005/01/14jpmorganplansma.html
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:26 pm
Thanks. That is very interesting stuff. I'll be sure to print out multiple copies and leave them in the bathroom stalls all over the building. Razz
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:36 pm
Yes speaking of bathrooms - there is a rumor going around that they may install pay toliets. My response - I will just crawl under.
0 Replies