U.S. Gave $1B in Faith-Based Funds in 2003

mesquite

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 11:38 pm
Yeah, his track record is so abominable that if he ever did try to do the right thing I probably would not trust him.

You I am sure though will continue to carry his water no matter what he does.

Are we clear on the ad hominem?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:50 am
Well I did give you an 'out' with the 'seems' instead of the seemingly absolutes in which you frame your opinion of the president. But if you can show where you have approved any initiative, policy, or action of the president in much of anything, his professed faith notwithstanding, then I will agree I also dealt in an ad hominem.

Otherwise I will believe that the President does not meet your standards in much of any way.
0 Replies

dadothree

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 01:45 pm
Re: faith based $$$
Quote:
Do you really honestly think that things like hospitals. and universities were started because of religion?

Yes , I do believe they were started because of religious beliefs. Our church raised 10k specifically for a xray machine in a Nigerian hospital. Their doctor sevres both as surgeon and evangelist. We help support him. He does not require that the sick be converted. He simply demonstrates Christ's love. Many people are drawn to his kindness and choose to learn more. Again they are not required to go to church. But many do choose to.

Quote:
Have you ever heard of the Salem witch trials? Now there is an accomplishment done solely in the name of religion.
Quote:
Hanged on June 10, 1692
Bridget Bishop, Salem

Hanged on July 19, 1692
Sarah Good, Salem Village
Rebecca Nurse, Salem Village
Susannah Martin, Amesbury
Elizabeth How, Ipswich
Sarah Wilds, Topsfield

Hanged on August 19, 1692
George Burroughs, Wells, Maine
John Proctor, Salem Village
John Willard, Salem Village
George Jacobs, Sr., Salem Town
Martha Carrier, Andover

September 19, 1692
Giles Corey, Salem Farms, pressed to death

Hanged on September 22, 1692
Martha Corey, Salem Farms
Mary Eastey, Topsfield
Alice Parker, Salem Town
Ann Pudeater, Salem Town
Margaret Scott, Rowley
Wilmott Reed, Marblehead
Samuel Wardwell, Andover
Mary Parker, Andover

Other accused witches that were not hanged, but died in prison:

Sarah Osborne, Salem Village
Roger Toothaker, Billerica
Lyndia Dustin, Reading
Ann Foster, Andover

Thirteen others may have also died in prison, but sources conflict on the exact number.
Salem Witch Trials FAQs

First, I take no responsibility for the behavior of any people in a state that still elects Ted Kennedy. (just kidding)

Let's include the thirteen that may have died in prison also. That totals 37 people who died as a result of this witch hunt. There is no doubt that the persecutors were motivated in part by religion. Other things may have been factors as well, but lets focus on religion. I believe that when people are poorly educated the cure is better education. This is true of ones religious education as well. I really was not that familiar with the trials before exploring your link. But two of the men who helped bring an end to the trials were Increase Mather and his son Cotton. Increase Mather was the President of Harvard and a minister. If the local townspeople had been as knowledgeable as he was, the trials may have never happened. So while you look at the trials and see religion as the cause, I look at religion and see it as the cure. What the people needed was more religious knowledge not less.

Quote:
Something to note here, although most rational people no longer believe in witches, the passages which prescribed the above atrocities are still in the Bible. As a fundamentalist, do you believe in witches and the prescribed punishments??
[/QUOTE]

Do I believe in witches? You mean besides my in-laws? There are people who claim to be witches. I have never seen anything to make me believe they have any sort of "powers". I'm sure they believe in themselves though.

I don't know which passages you are referring to. There are Old Testament commands that required stoning or other punishments for a whole variety of sins. However we (christians) do not live under the old testament law. We are not saved by adherence to the law we are saved by grace. A good example is Jn 8:1-11 Here, Christ saves the woman caught in adultery and tells her to "go and sin no more". Although we are not under the old law, those old testament commands remain in the bible because they are part of the history of the Jews. Taking them out would be like rewriting their history.
Our understanding of the scriptures is very different than it was in 1692. More people are literate. The English translations are readily available. Radio, TV, and the internet make a more thorough study possible. A literal interpretation of the bible today is not the same as a literal interpretation in 1692.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 02:04 pm
Re: faith based $$$
Quote:
Do you really honestly think that things like hospitals. and universities were started because of religion?

In a historic view: yes.

And exactly because of this, they were run later by the state, country, community.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 03:23 pm
Since this seems to have degenerated into a thread on religion. I will add my two cents. IMO religion is the most divisive poison ever devised by the devious mind of men. It is responsible for more wars, burnings, massacres, genocide's, expulsions and, etc., than any other single factor through the ages.
Dafdothree wrote
Quote:
Although we are not under the old law, those old testament commands remain in the bible because they are part of the history of the Jews. Taking them out would be like rewriting their history.

Wrong, the old testament is as much a part of Christian history as it is Jewish.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 03:28 pm
au1929 wrote:

Wrong, the old testament is as much a part of Christian history as it is Jewish.

One of the rare moments, I totally agree with au. Indeed: since the Old Testaments provides the basic structure of ideas in which Christianity (and Judaism) exist, someone, who denies this, doesn't have much foundamental knowledge about Christianity.
0 Replies

dadothree

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 07:19 pm
faith based $$$
Walter Hinteler wrote:
au1929 wrote:

Quote:
One of the rare moments, I totally agree with au. Indeed: since the Old Testaments provides the basic structure of ideas in which Christianity (and Judaism) exist, someone, who denies this, doesn't have much foundamental knowledge about Christianity.

Gee guys, thanks for teaching me about my religion. Don't worry I'm not insulted. I am well aware that Judaism is the foundation of Christianity. But I don't view the bible as just a book of stories. I consider it historical. So when I said those commands were part of the history of Jews, I guess I should have said Jewish people. I meant it in a historical sense not a religious one. I don't know if a person who converted from Islam, or Buddhism would consider Mosaic law part of his/her history if they are not descendants of Isaac. Especially if their ancestors had never lived under Mosaic law. Either way my point is that we are not under the Mosaic laws.
The old and new testaments need to be taken in their proper context to each other. Many of the old testament laws and practices were done away with by the new testament. This is pretty fundamental. Otherwise we would still need to make sacrifices. I think the more you learn about christianity the more you will tolerate it. The more I learn, the better I'll practice it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 08:16 am
According to Islamic belief, the Arabs are descendants of Abraham but descend from Ishmael rather than Isaac from whom the "12 tribes of Israel" descended. Whether one believes the Biblical history to be fact or allegory, all in fact are of semitic origin and very distantly racially related nevertheless.

And yes, it was the religious, in the name of religion, who built and staffed most of the nations first hospitals and universities and that includes Harvard and Yale. Here in the Albuquerque area the Presbyterians got here first to build schools and hospitals though the Roman Catholic influence is also very apparent.

The fact is, the huge majority of not-for-profit charitable organizations in this country were founded and are organized and run by people of faith. The most recent polling data I have seen is that 90+% of Americans believe in some form of diety or higher power. The simple fact is, people of faith are most likely to be the ones who will 'get their hands dirty' in charitable service to other people. That I believe the president fully realizes and understands and why it is 'truth in advertising' to distribute grants to people, even the religious, who are helping people. The government always has. It is just being honest about it now and allowing faith based groups to be honest in asking for and accepting the funds they use to help the less fortunate.

I think most honorable people are able to set aside their personal ideology and recognize that somebody besides their 'own kind' are actually doing good things.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:46 am
Your post, as is often the case, starts with a few facts, adds stats that I suspect you're making up ("I have seen that 90+% of Americans believe in some form of diety (sic) or higher power") and then pure opinion: "The simple fact is, people of faith are most likely to be the ones who will 'get their hands dirty' in charitable service..."
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 12:40 pm
Yes, as I give considerable sums to charity and have worked in charitable not-for-profit organizations, that is my opinion. You are certainly free to express your own opinion, if that is what you think, that athiests are as likely to organize and make their vocation with a not-for-profit charitable organization as is a person of faith. That just simply isn't my experience, but hey, I'll look at any data you have.

I only mention my charitable giving because I will not give money to any organization that misrepresents itself, will not make is accounting public, or doesn't meet my standards for administrative vs product ratios.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 12:42 pm
Atheist /= non-religious.

Atheism is as much of a religion as any other.

If you want truly non-religious, look to the agnostics amongst you.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 12:42 pm
OK, here's my opinion. I give sums to charity, too, and spent years as a literacy tutor for adults. With no church involvement.

So, how about we agree to leave off generalizing about things we know nothing about?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 12:45 pm
What organization were you associated with D?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 01:09 pm
The Goodwill Literacy Center here in Seattle. They raise funds through clothing donations and teach skills to adults who need training to work.

They probably get funds from United Way, too, but I can't speak to that.
0 Replies

dadothree

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:16 pm
Charities
Quote:
D'artagnan wrote:
The Goodwill Literacy Center here in Se
attle.

Is this part of the same Goodwill industries that is in most cities?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 06:20 pm
Yes. From the Seattle Goodwill web site:

Seattle Goodwill is affiliated with Goodwill Industries International, headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland. Although we are a Goodwill Industries International member, each member Goodwill is independent and autonomous. Goodwill Industries International provides us with support and information to help us provide the best services and programs possible. There are 208 independent Goodwill member organizations throughout North America and around the world. Each of these organizations has similar programs and mission statements, but operates autonomously of other Goodwill organizations. The other three member Goodwill organizations in Washington State are Tacoma Goodwill Industries, headquartered in Tacoma, Goodwill Industries of the Inland Northwest, headquartered in Spokane, and Goodwill Industries of the Columbia, headquartered in Kennewick.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 07:10 pm
Goodwill International was founded early in the Twentieth Century by a Methodist Minister and its early history was mostly faith-based. I will agree that now they do operate as a mostly secular organization, though Goodwill in Albuquerque is headed by committed Christians, and I would lay odds that is the case pretty much everywhere. It is an exceeding efficiently run organization in most places and does good work and espouses good conservative values emphasizing the importance of pride in working for something.

Anyhow good for you D. I have done a bit of that too for another organization and it is very rewarding.
0 Replies

dadothree

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 11:52 pm
separation of church and state
Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Goodwill International was founded early in the Twentieth Century by a Methodist Minister and its early history was mostly faith-based. I will agree that now they do operate as a mostly secular organization,

Fox
You're exactly right. here's a quote

1920___________________________
With the Methodist church backing expansion, by 1920 there were 15 Goodwills, including Morgan Memorial. In subsequent decades, the relationship with the church would gradually lessen as Goodwill sought leaders from outside the ministry, and as federal funding requirements made it necessary for Goodwill to become a more secular organization.
http://www.goodwill.org/index_gii.cfm/2548/

Our church helps the needy. We believe doing so brings glory to God.
I have no doubt that the motivation for this organization was (and still is) to help the needy also. But is God glorified if nobody even remembers their origins? IMO our society has become overly concerned about the needy not having to compromise their religious beliefs or their aversion to religion. Yet there is little or no concern for ministries that may be desperately trying to help and are thus coerced into compromising their religious principles.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2005 09:34 am
Most Goodwill organizations do not bill themselves as religious organizations these days because some of their activities put them in a legal gray area to qualify as a 'church' but do not disqualify them from being not-for-profit charitable organizations. So its simpler not to be classified as a religious organization. Nevertheless, it is mostly the religious who operate the Goodwill chapters.

It just goes back to my original opinion that it is far more likely that people of faith will be those willing to 'get their hands dirty' serving the less fortunate in such organizations. That does not presume that all the employees or even all the volunteers will be people of faith; however, I think the non-religious or anti-religious will be in a very small minority in most of these organizations.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 02:40 pm
This is a slightly different slant on the thesis of this thread, but it does go back to comments that have been made in the posts on the thread.

What if the government got out of the business of charity altogether?

A MINORITY VIEW
BY WALTER E. WILLIAMS
RELEASE: WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 2005, AND THEREAFTER

NOT YOURS TO GIVE

Charity to man's fellow man is praiseworthy, and Americans are the most generous people on Earth. According to a quote by American philanthropist Daniel Rose in "An Exceptional Nation," an article in Philanthropy magazine (November/December 2004), "American private charitable contributions this year will exceed $200 billion, equal to about 10 percent of the total federal budget; that some 70 percent of U.S. households make charitable cash contributions; and that over half of all U.S. adults will volunteer an estimated 20 billion hours in charitable activities." Americans contribute six or seven times more than some of our European neighbors.

What about President Bush's $350 million commitment for earthquake and tsunami relief -- is that just as praiseworthy? Let's look at it. Charity is reaching into one's own pockets to assist his fellow man in need. Reaching into someone else's pocket to assist one's fellow man hardly qualifies as charity. When done privately, we deem it theft, and the individual risks jail time.

What would some of our ancestors say about government "charity"? James Madison, the father of our Constitution, said, in a January 1794 speech in the House of Representatives, "The government of the United States is a definite government, confined to specified objects. It is not like state governments, whose powers are more general. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government."

A few years later, Virginia Rep. William Giles condemned a relief measure for fire victims, saying it was neither the purpose nor the right of Congress to "attend to what generosity and humanity require, but to what the Constitution and their duty require."
Unlike President Bush, a few of our former presidents understood that charity is not a government function. Franklin Pierce, our 14th president, vetoed a bill to help the mentally ill, saying, "I cannot find any authority in the Constitution for public charity," adding that to approve such spending, "would be contrary to the letter and the spirit of the Constitution and subversive to the whole theory upon which the Union of these States is founded."

In 1887, President Grover Cleveland, our 22nd and 24th president, said, when he vetoed a bill to assist drought-inflicted counties in Texas, "I feel obliged to withhold my approval of the plan to indulge in benevolent and charitable sentiment through the appropriation of public funds. ... I find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution."

Tennessee Rep. Col. Davy Crockett, in speech before the House of Representatives, said, in protest against a $10,000 appropriation for a widow of a distinguished naval officer, "We have the right, as individuals, to give away as much of our own money as we please in charity, but as members of Congress, we have no right to appropriate a dollar of the public money."

I'd like to ask President Bush and members of the 109th Congress whether they've discovered the constitutional authority for charitable expenditures undiscovered by James Madison, William Giles, Presidents Franklin Pierce and Grover Cleveland, and Davy Crockett. Major U.S. companies, such as American Express, Pfizer, Exxon Mobil and General Motors donated millions of dollars to tsunami relief efforts. Like those of the Bush administration and Congress, their actions aren't praiseworthy at all. The CEOs who authorized these "charitable" donations were reaching not into their own pockets but into the pockets of their shareholders.

I get the feeling that the train of constitutional principles has left the station and the recent tsunami episode is simply another symptom of American obliviousness to constitutional government. Today's politicians can't be held fully responsible for our abandonment of constitutional government. While they can be blamed for not being statesmen, the lion's share of the blame rests with 280 million Americans. Elected officials simply mirror public misunderstanding or contempt for constitutional principles. Tragically, adherence to the constitutional values of men like James Madison and Davy Crockett would spell political suicide in today's America.

http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/wew/articles/05/give.html
0 Replies