U.S. Gave $1B in Faith-Based Funds in 2003

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 06:44 am
Quote:
The government gave more than $1 billion in 2003 to organizations it considers "faith-based," with some going to programs where prayer and spiritual guidance are central and some to organizations that do not consider themselves religious at all.

Many of these groups have entirely secular missions and some organizations were surprised to find their names on a list of faith-based groups provided to The Associated Press by the White House.

"Someone has obviously designated us a faith-based organization, but we don't recognize ourselves as that," said Stacey Denaux, executive director of Crisis Ministries, a homeless shelter and soup kitchen in Charleston, S.C.

Other grant recipients are religious, offering social service programs that the government may have deemed too religious to receive money before President Bush took office.

Visitors to TMM Family Services in Tucson, Ariz., which received $25,000 for housing counseling, are greeted by a picture of Jesus and quotes from the Bible.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050103/D87CAFL00.html

Well, the citizens of the US can finally know where their tax money is going, as far as "faith based initiatives" are concerned. The following link will give you the information, state by state, about how much money is going where.

What do you think about this? Do you think that our tax monies are being spent appropriately?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/specials/interactives/wdc/faithbased/index.html?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,880 • Replies: 222
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:21 am
Re: U.S. Gave $1B in Faith-Based Funds in 2003
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Well, the citizens of the US can finally know where their tax money is going, as far as "faith based initiatives" are concerned.

This is even more astonishing for me: why didn't someone know this before, I mean, at times, when the budget was discussed?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:23 am
I have an attitude, I voted never.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:23 am
"An AP analysis of the $1.17 billion and nearly 150 interviews in 30 states with grant recipients found:

_Many are well-established, large social service providers that have received federal money for decades. More than 80 percent of recipients at HHS had received federal money before. At HUD, the figure was 93 percent.

_Two programs account for half of the $1.17 billion total: A HUD program known as Section 202 that builds housing for low-income poor people, and Head Start, a large preschool program for poor children. Both of them are dominated by longtime grant recipients that able to handle large amounts of money - not the small church groups sometimes evoked by the White House.

_Many organizations insist they do not belong on a list of "faith-based organizations," even though they may have religious roots.

Some have no connection at all to religion, such as You Gotta Believe!, a Brooklyn, N.Y.-based group that finds permanent homes for teenagers in foster care. The name is not intended to invoke a belief in God, but the belief that there is a home somewhere for every child."

I'm not sure if the writer is exagerating the point based upon the excerpt above.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:52 am
Actually, some more information can be got via the

The White House Office and Centers for the Faith-Based and Community Initiatives

and the

Faith-Based & Community Initiatives
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 08:40 am
Does the US constitution carry any weight with this administration? Yes, if Bush can use it to his advantage. Where he cannot it might just have been written on tissue paper with disappearing ink. The separation of Church and state is a defining principle in the constitution that this administration is making every effort to diminish and if possible to do away with. Religion and government mix as well as oil and water. The poison of religion should never be allowed to seep into the governing of this nation.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:01 am
au1929 wrote:
Does the US constitution carry any weight with this administration? Yes, if Bush can use it to his advantage. Where he cannot it might just have been written on tissue paper with disappearing ink. The separation of Church and state is a defining principle in the constitution that this administration is making every effort to diminish and if possible to do away with. Religion and government mix as well as oil and water. The poison of religion should never be allowed to seep into the governing of this nation.

"_Two programs account for half of the $1.17 billion total: A HUD program known as Section 202 that builds housing for low-income poor people, and Head Start, a large preschool program for poor children. Both of them are dominated by longtime grant recipients that able to handle large amounts of money - not the small church groups sometimes evoked by the White House. "

So you want to eliminate HUD?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:04 am
I'm with dys.
Never. Ever.
Never ever.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:08 am
I voted "Yes, with a caveat." Secular operations of religious groups should not be discriminated against. That being the case (in my opinion), why call it "Faith Based" in the first place.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:12 am
I want a complete schism between church and state. The fantasy that money given to faith based charities will not in part be used to fund religious activities is fallacy.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:12 am
I voted no-never with a cravat (well, actually it's a bolo tie with a pretty stone).
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:20 am
roger wrote:
I voted "Yes, with a caveat." Secular operations of religious groups should not be discriminated against. That being the case (in my opinion), why call it "Faith Based" in the first place.

I totally agree. I chose Never, but based on the 'why call it Faith Based' rationale.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:24 am
5 to 3 to 0, I think we have a mandate let's change the supreme court to our advantage (and toss ethics out of the house and senate while we have the political capital, as if the house or senate ever had ethics.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:25 am
roger wrote:
Secular operations of religious groups should not be discriminated against. That being the case (in my opinion), why call it "Faith Based" in the first place.

I think that the "faith based" appellation was one of Bush's "shticks" to get in good with the Bible thumpers.

As I have mentioned in the past, I worked, for many years, with a not-for-profit religious (Ohmygosh, not YOU, Phoenix!) organization that provided all kinds of social services.

We received funds from the NYC Department of Mental Health, the NYS Office of Mental health, Medicare and Medicaid. I have to admit, that on occasion, there WAS a conflict of interest, in terms of providing services that were not in accordance with the culture of the organization.

Fortunately, the issue did not come up very often, and we learned how to do "workarounds". I could see though, that there could potentially be a problem. There could be a conflict between the religious parameters that we needed to work with, and the interests of the client.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:34 am
What is the issue with faith-based charities?

Do you believe they only help people of the same faith? That they only help those that go to church? That they force people to pray?

I believe this is much ado over nothing.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:37 am
I'm sure you do.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:30 am
Okay, so are you saying that if there are 2 drug programs, 1 faith-based and 1 not, even if the faith-based program was successful and the other wasn't, you would fund the unsuccessful program rather than the successful one?

Funding programs that work, regardless of religious or non-religious affiliation is not establishing a religion - it's spending money where it will do the most good. The establishment clause says the government cannot force everyone to join a specific religion; it does not require the government to discriminate against religious-based organizations with grant money.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:44 am
McGentrix wrote:
What is the issue with faith-based charities?

Do you believe they only help people of the same faith? That they only help those that go to church? That they force people to pray?

I believe this is much ado over nothing.

Well, fer instance, here's an example. A young girl is pregnant, and wants to know how to go about getting an abortion. That is what she wants. She happens into a faith based counselling center that does not support abortions. The therapist is not permitted, by her agency, to discuss abortions with her client.

Watcha think of that...........is THAT "much ado about nothing'?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:46 am
I have never seen, or heard, of any religious organization that did not discriminate. It's built in.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:48 am
dys- The ONLY reason that I was hired by the agency that I worked in, was it because it was in a division that was partially supported by public monies. They were forced not to discriminate, by federal law. The rest of the agency, where the programs were funded solely from their own funds, was manned completely by people who were of the faith of the agency.
0 Replies