Evolutionry/religious nonsense

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2018 08:22 pm
@Setanta,
68% believe in god. Many are trying to wrestle with the concepts of creation and evolution. They are required to ignore many parts of the Bible in order to believe in both. I wonder how that's working out?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2018 11:42 pm
I suppose he thinks the fossils were put in the ground by a supernatural whatever just to be playing like a kid with action figures.
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 07:04 am
@Setanta,
Quote:

No intelligence is necessary. Those species which cannot adapt to their environments well enough to successfully reproduce, die off. Those species which are sufficiently well-adapted to successfully reproduce within the environment prosper. That you don't understand natural selection is not evidence that it does not work, and work without intelligence and without intent.

How very dull-witted, and I'd be willing to bet that you thought you were being clever.

It all depends on your perpective which view is true, which is dull-witted and which is 'clever'.

Just another day in the matrix.
Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 07:26 am
@Leadfoot,
That you don't understand natural selection is not evidence that it does not work. Why don't you see if you can't work up some original material on your own. At least, though, you aren't savagely attacking the Jehovah's witness, just for being a Jehovah's witness, as so many so-called christians around here do.
MadJW

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 09:33 am
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee380/theMadJW/Deviloution/ChartlesWuzzaDimwitLOGO.jpg

Author of the Dumbest of all Dogma!
0 Replies

MadJW

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 09:34 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

68% believe in god. Many are trying to wrestle with the concepts of creation and evolution. They are required to ignore many parts of the Bible in order to believe in both. I wonder how that's working out?

--

Maybe you can give an example.
Or are we just supposed to put Faith in...YOU?
MadJW

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 09:37 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I suppose he thinks the fossils were put in the ground by a supernatural whatever just to be playing like a kid with action figures.

--

How condescending of you.
Maybe you can direct us to the Endless Intermediate Fossils showing men and animals changing from one thing to another, hmmmmm?
BTW- what's the current version teach- that we can from apes, fish, or birds?
(Or all 3)?
0 Replies

MadJW

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 09:44 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That you don't understand natural selection is not evidence that it does not work. Why don't you...

--------------
My, what an un-impressive non-answer.
He expects US to ASSume, as he does, that non-thinking matter can organize itself in wonderful ways!

"Natural Selection" itself is an oxymoron.
To select (CHOOSE one thing from another) one needs to see, to perceive, to think, and to decide.
In his imaginary world, molecules are VERY, VERY smart!

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee380/theMadJW/Deviloution/BackToFISH.jpg
coluber2001

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 02:49 pm
Joseph Campbell explains it better here than I ever could.

MadJW

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 03:24 pm
@coluber2001,
So, he answers with a video.

yawn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 03:40 pm
@MadJW,
So all you've got are cartoons, sneers and insults. You are a waste of time.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 04:17 pm
@MadJW,
Bible: Earth is 7,000 years old. Science: Earth is 4.5 billion years old. Bible: World flood. Science: No evidence of a world flood.
Bible: Jesus returned from the dead. Science: Once brain dead, you're dead. Bible: Thou shalt not kill. Bible: Kill all nonbelievers. Bible: Adam and Eve were the first humans. Science: Homo sapiens evolved from primates. http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence Finally: No evidence of any god or gods. Many cultures created their own gods. Some countries have many gods like India. The 33 Million Gods of Hinduism. Death: Usually people who have brain death have for instance been recovered from drowning after a while, blood clots, blood loss, things like this. There is a lot of case history of brain dead people, determining the neurobiological criteria as families get attached to the people. However they are not the people there any more. They are gone.
coluber2001

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 04:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If you'll bother to watch the Joseph Campbell video I posted, you'll see that he is trying to show that myths are not intended to be taken literally but metaphorically.

Both atheists and fundamentalists make that same mistake. It may seem like a subtle difference, but it makes all the difference in the world. The point is that Believers don't have to cling fanatically to mistaken interpretation nor do people who rejected their own religions have to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 04:37 pm
@coluber2001,
Where does atheists make mistakes? Are you trying to justify your god? If myths are not to be taken seriously, why are there so many in this world that believes in their god? Most pray to their god. That's evidence they believe their is a god.
coluber2001

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 06:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Myths are metaphors and refer to our psyche in relation to Nature and the universe. It's a mistake to take myths literally, and both atheist and fundamentalist make that same mistake. Religion has nothing whatsoever to do with a supernatural, and the discovery of evolution made a supernatural unnecessary to explain natural phenomena. That's why the discovery of evolution by means of natural selection seems so threatening to fundamentalists, because it makes the supernatural that they so fanatically cling to superfluous. True religion is experiencing a transcendent jump past the intellect and rational. The vocabulary of myth is poetry, and the spirit of poetry, like music, cannot be explained rationally.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 06:54 pm
@coluber2001,
I disagree. Mythology had much impact on present religions.
Quote:
Ancient Egyptian religion and mythology left behind many writings and monuments, along with significant influences on ancient and modern cultures.
. ....and modern cultures.
coluber2001

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 07:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Joseph Campbell says in the video: "All religions are true in the sense that they are metaphorical of the human and cosmic mystery. But if you get stuck to the metaphor, then you're in trouble."

That's all I'm trying to say. Almost everybody gets stuck to the metaphor.
brianjakub

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 08:35 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
How very dull-witted, and I'd be willing to bet that you thought you were being clever.

No intelligence is necessary. Those species which cannot adapt to their environments well enough to successfully reproduce, die off. Those species which are sufficiently well-adapted to successfully reproduce within the environment prosper. That you don't understand natural selection is not evidence that it does not work, and work without intelligence and without intent.

If, there is no actual "intelligence" involved in biological evolution, what you are describing is:

1. a very complex system of artificial intelligence,
2. that introduces new information into the system in such a complex way,
3. that it cannot be explained in any coherent way that can be imagined as a step by step biological process let alone be replicated.

But, to show us you understand or somebody else understands it, could you please go over the step by step process (or sight a scholarly paper) describing how a one celled a sexually reproducing animal to evolved to an sexually reproducing wholly mammoth?

And to avoid sounding "dull-witted", if you use the words "could have", "might have", "may have", etc. . . in your explanation could you show some proof that the process is understood, (and really could have happened) beyond giving the process a name like these?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_sexual_reproduction#Other_explanations
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 08:43 pm
Why the hell should I? You have specified a set of premises you have not substantiated, so I see no reason to meet a standard you don't meet.

(The word you wanted was "cite," not "sight.")
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2018 08:46 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
"All religions are true in the sense that they are metaphorical of the human and cosmic mystery."
Yes, I agree, because many comic characters have the same type of "life."
0 Replies