Evolutionry/religious nonsense

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2018 06:53 pm
@brianjakub,
There is no "intelligence" out there. That's all in your own imagination like millions of people on this planet. This planet evolved, and produced the life forms that existed with many not surviving the changing climate. According to scientists who study this planet, they claim there have been at least five ice ages. Many life forms cannot survive long term freezes, but it seems volcanic activity helped some species survive.
https://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2014/0311/How-does-life-survive-during-ice-ages-Scientists-unravel-mystery.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2018 08:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
AMblyrhyncus cristatus is the only species of the genus of marine iguanas that are a separate genus of land iguanas. They are only found on the Galapagos. Almost every island has a unique subspecies of A c.. we did some work on mapping Espanola Island many years ago helping the govt define the off limit areas so they didnt get stomped under by tourists. The Christmas Tree marine iguana is a unique colored subspecies.

BUT, the point is, the entire genus and its one species (ans about 25 subspecies) have split off from a common ancestor well before the islands were formed .(The theory , with a good fossil record, is that the species split off from land iguanas by Rafting to the active volcanoes that later were eroded away by the sea as the Hot Spot remained stationary and the uprisen and began to form the present archipelago .

CHRISTMAS TREE MARINE IGUANA.(one of the marine iguana subspecies amblyrhyncus cristata)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/ff/Marine-Iguana-Espanola.jpg/1024px-Marine-Iguana-Espanola.jpg
farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2018 08:44 pm
@farmerman,
sitting here watching Bill Nye take on Ken Ham with his "Noah and the Flood Experience" where Ken Ham is preaching that human and Dinosaurs lived together in biblical time.
Ham pretty much just denies much of what science says.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2018 10:16 pm
@farmerman,
His name isn't Ham for nut'n.
farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2018 11:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I wanted to add about the Christmas marine iguana. This subspecies is only found on Espanola where theres a iron-rich quartz and iron stained diorite wheron live these reddish algae and the iguanas eat that crap exclusively.

But you can see how these iguanas evolved from mainland forms and have a bunch of new fetures like the comb-like dorsal spines, the splay feet with teeny webbing and huge claws, their blunt heads and , of course, their sea snake like tails which is their main propulsion(the feet act like trim tabs). They also have a lot of internal evolutionary physiology (which, Im sure LF will pooh pooh as being insignificant). But all these guys can expel the salt via their eyes and snot. They have a unique halophytic excretion system and eyes that have a fish like adaptation. They also can stop their herts for over an hour and still , like a frozen frog, jolt themselves back to life.
(our companion biologists were from a ivy league uni and were obsessive about marine iguanas)
0 Replies

brianjakub

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 03:59 am
@farmerman,
How does removing parts of the genome prove the genome was created by randomly introduced pieces of new info? If the DNA was created by introducing info by intelligent introduction of new info would the results be different?

In the fish example, did the fish adapt because of randomly generated mutatios or were the chacteristcs necessary for exploitation of an enviromental change already in the dna before the enviromental change happened?
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 05:13 am
@brianjakub,
we can test what genes actually do an by tracing back with fetures that have no apparent "place in line" for anything that appears to be anagenic. Evolution is loaded with evidence that shows us that derivative species have developed in a non linear fashion, and knowing that this is so, allows biologists to confer with the paleontologists to see what the environment may have been doing to affect the evolution in species.

If this really is what you believe that an ID agent was incompetent to show evidence of a helter skelter pattern of evolution yet was in charge of the environment , youd better start some work and provide actual evidence, not just try to coat tail on what science is doing.

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 05:35 am
@brianjakub,
For the percidae fish, they developed because humans had built dams for water power in late 17th century New England. Entire fish populations were "Trapped" behind the dams and evolved in a separate fashion than those down stream of the dams.

As far as the AFrican cichlids we see a very "plastic" genera and as lakes Malawi, Tanganyika ans especially LAke Victoria had become large bodies of water ,(LAke Victoria happend about 12K years ago ), the cichlid population just exploded in evolution of new forms that ranged from carnivorous to vegetarian species, deep water and neritic palludal waters (like carp). They became opportunistic exploiters of their new environments and evolved new genera and species accordingly . Opportunistic, no real evidence of ID when we can see species react to local environmental changes, just like all the iguanas of the Galapagos, or the many hundreds of unique species of cave fish and insects that appear nowhwere else except for that one little cave somewhere in Tennessee , New Mexico, or Yugoslav qnd China. ALL these species are genetically related to parent species near the cave sites (and nowhere else on the planet). Common ancestors were local and short lived .In only one case, is the common ancestor found in fossils in the cave floor. Kinda difficult, on the bulk of the cases, to even propose Intelligent design when a much simpler example presents itself in all the evidence.

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 10:18 am
I think the following abstract is a great explanation of naturalism's failure and why there is such a disconnect in the arguments made on this thread's subject.

Quote:
Abstract of a published paper by Dermot Moran:

Throughout his career, Edmund Husserl identifies naturalism as the greatest threat to both the sciences and philosophy. In this paper, I explicate Husserl’s overall diagnosis and critique of naturalism and then examine the specific transcendental aspect of his critique. Husserl agreed with the Neo-Kantians in rejecting naturalism. He has three major critiques of naturalism:

First, it (like psychologism and for the same reasons) is ‘countersensical’ in that it denies the very ideal laws that it needs for its own justification.

Second, naturalism essentially misconstrues consciousness by treating it as a part of the world.

Third, naturalism is the inevitable consequence of a certain rigidification of the ‘natural attitude’ into what Husserl calls the ‘naturalistic attitude’. This naturalistic attitude ‘reifies’ and it ‘absolutizes’ the world such that it is treated as taken-for-granted and ‘obvious’. Husserl’s transcendental phenomenological analysis, however, discloses that the natural attitude is, despite its omnipresence in everyday life, not primary, but in fact is relative to the ‘absolute’ transcendental attitude.

The mature Husserl’s critique of naturalism is therefore based on his acceptance of the absolute priority of the transcendental attitude. The paradox remains that we must start from and, in a sense, return to the natural attitude, while, at the same time, restricting this attitude through the on-going transcendental vigilance of the universal epoché.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 11:17 am
@farmerman,
I remember seeing roped off areas on some of the Galapagos Islands. We also visited the Darwin Research Center.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 11:42 am
@Leadfoot,
Ah-hahahahahahahahahahahahaha . . .

How very transcendent--that's even more hilarious than BJ's phony-baloney, pseudo-scientific word salad.

You guys crack me up.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 11:56 am
@Setanta,
sounds like the old Heidegger phenom... about "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

but that is the way science needs to work to get anywhere.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:33 pm
@Leadfoot,
This sounds like a job for Fresco
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 12:43 pm
@rosborne979,
Naw, Fresco's pragmatism is one of the very things that make one blind to the transcendental. It denies the nature of our consciousness and calls it an artifact of the physical. I was done with his school of thought awhile back.
It's just too limiting.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 01:17 pm
@Leadfoot,
Philosophy is not my thing. All I know is that the naturalistic foundation to science is the very thing which has made it so profoundly successful in describing and predicting the natural world.
brianjakub

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 02:16 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
the cichlid population just exploded in evolution of new forms that ranged from carnivorous to vegetarian species, deep water and neritic palludal waters (like carp). They became opportunistic exploiters of their new environments and evolved new genera and species accordingly . Opportunistic, no real evidence of ID when we can see species react to local environmental changes, just like all the iguanas of the Galapagos,. . .

op·por·tun·is·tic
ˌäpərt(y)o͞oˈnistik/Submit
adjective
exploiting chances offered by immediate circumstances without reference to a general plan or moral principle

Exploiting without a plan means without adapting. If the organisms adapts quickly to exploit a change in the environment that, would be evidence that somehow information was inserted into the DNA at an earlier time to allow for quick adaptation to an expected environmental change.

Quote:
iguanas of the Galapagos, or the many hundreds of unique species of cave fish and insects that appear nowhwere else except for that one little cave somewhere in Tennessee , New Mexico, or Yugoslav qnd China. ALL these species are genetically related to parent species near the cave sites (and nowhere else on the planet). Common ancestors were local and short lived .In only one case, is the common ancestor found in fossils in the cave floor. Kinda difficult, on the bulk of the cases, to even propose Intelligent design when a much simpler example presents itself in all the evidence.

I think it is difficult to expect "random" mutations to cause the proper evolutionary changes over the short period time that was provided just once, let alone all the examples you gave.

This reminds me of an analogy.

A man purchased a program that plays the video game breakout over and over using random moves of the paddle but, keeping track of when it scores and then repeating that pattern over again with a minor "random" change each time remembering the pattern that scores the highest. After a couple days the program had figured out the fastest way to win at breakout.

The man said, "see I figured out the fastest way to win at breakout without using any intelligence just randomly introduced new information."

I said, "But you paid someone with intelligence to write the program."

He said, No I didn't. I paid someone who "found" the program, he used a random word generator to right the program that was very similar to the program that generated random paddle moves to beat the game. The purpose of my experiment is to show computer games can be won without intelligence and I did that."

I said," but somebody wrote the program that wrote the program with the random word generator plus, intelligence was required to build the computer it was running on."

He said, "That doesn't matter, it is to hard for me to identify that person so, I am going to assume he doesn't exist, never did exist. And since it is much simpler I am going to claim that I succeeded in proving the fastest way to win at breakout can be done without any intelligence. The other good thing is I don't have to share any credit for my discovery with him or anyone else."

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 02:20 pm
@Setanta,
I must congratulate you Set.

You have wisely stayed in your role of Heckler rather than trying to advance any argument of your own. Keep up the good work.
brianjakub

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 02:22 pm
@rosborne979,
Philosophy is my thing. All I know is that the naturalistic foundation to
God is the very thing which has made me profoundly successful in describing and predicting the natural world when it comes to things like being able to picture a physical reason for "why" we have gravity and the nuclear forces and, understand why evolution is so successful.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 02:26 pm
@Leadfoot,
I've been advancing my own argument here at this site for 15 years, Bubba. As I have repeated stated, I consider evolution by descent from common ancestors modified by natural selection to be the only reasonable explanation for the diversity of life forms on this planet. No magic sky daddies, no vaguely defined design, no murky intelligence hiding in the shadows.

After a decade and a half, all I'm prepared to do now is laugh at the ID clown car when it pulls up.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2018 02:39 pm
@Setanta,
What I find interesting about the ID crowd is the very fact that they can't see nor explain what their god looks like. Some kind of comic character who is able to be all around this planet at the same time to watch each human, and listen to every prayer. Quite a feat, if I say so myself.