Tsunami Relief: The Real Story

cjhsa

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 01:26 pm
My previous comment was only to point out that you need to be careful when you donate anything, expecially money. Pick your charities and causes carefully. Many of them are actually money losing propositions. Many are ripe with embezzlement.

The Red Cross was a bad example to use. But I hope you get my point.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 02:10 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Have you been promoted, Bill?
Laughing Me? Promoted? Shocked Nope. I'm just passing on some valuable advice that I received from another poster shortly after joining and being attacked by Hobitbob. Is that a problem?

cjhsa wrote:
The Red Cross was a bad example to use. But I hope you get my point.
I made a similar point on another thread. I praised Amazon and eBay over call centers because you bypass the crooks that way. Even charity boxes can claim charity legally, and still keep the vast majority of the proceeds for expenses (legal scam).
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 05:09 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
rykehaven: I don't know if anyone mentioned it to you, but as a general rule you should feel free to speak your mind within the terms of service, respond to those you care to and most importantly ignore whomever you want. No thinking person will blame you if you ignore excessively long, hyper-partisan attacks. No one.

Thank you for both your service and your valuable insight on this board.

Have you been promoted, Bill?

Have you?

O'Bill is showing a kindness to a newbie, and giving general advice. Why did you feel the need to make a snide comment? We all give this drill every so often.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 05:11 pm
actually the red cross is not a bad example..their administrative costs are huge...and of course they sandbagged blood testing in the early days of the AIDS epidemic...causing the loss of many lives over concern for the expense...screw them....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 08:54 pm
And their performance after 9/11 was hardly inspiring.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:42 am
Actually, you should know more "the Red Cross" in the USA, elsewhere and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), beforte making such general statements. Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 03:10 am
Last Updated:Monday, January 3, 2005. 7:30pm (AEDT)
Tsunami to hurt for a generation
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200501/r38082_95394.jpg
The tsunami devastated Meulaboh in Aceh.

Aid workers striving to help nearly 2 million desperate survivors of Asia's tsunami catastrophe made inroads today but warned the worst-hit communities would take a generation to rebuild.

The death toll from last week's tsunami is close to 150,000 across Asia.

Even hardened relief workers have been shocked by the scale of the disaster.

World Vision Australia chief executive Tim Costello has been working in Sri Lanka, where at least 30,000 people died and entire villages were wiped out.

"I can only compare it to Europe after the Second World War," Reverend Costello said.

He says it will take "a generation" to rebuild the affected nations.

"Everywhere on that [Sri Lankan] coastline people are suffering, people are desperate and begging for food, begging for water - that's the thing that just hit me," he said.

Marshall Plan

While nations and individuals have already pledged more than $US2 billion in aid, Reverend Costello says that is not enough.

He sees the need for a scheme similar to the Marshall Plan, under which the United States contributed today's equivalent of roughly $US100 billion towards the reconstruction of Europe after World War II.

World leaders will hold an emergency summit in Jakarta on Thursday to plot long-term relief efforts and ensure swift pledges of cash do not dry up during the reconstruction period.

Australian Prime Minister John Howard will join the leaders of Japan and China alongside United Nations secretary-general Kofi Annan.

UN officials say Mr Annan will use the meeting to launch a "major appeal".

Jan Egeland, the UN's head of emergency relief, estimates that 1.8 million people are in need of food aid, including 1 million in Indonesia and another 700,000 in Sri Lanka.

He says most of the remainder are in Somalia and the Maldives but has voiced optimism that the logistical problems hampering relief work in recent days are being overcome.

"We're able to reach out in all of the affected countries except in [the Indonesian regions of] Sumatra and in Aceh at the moment," Mr Egeland said.

"That is where we are behind."...
<cont>

<complete article>
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200501/s1275842.htm
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 08:25 am
Re: Tsunami Relief: The Real Story
rykehaven wrote:

The following entry is attributed to the Powerline and Diplomad blogs:

Rykehaven...welcome to A2K. Just wondering if you had a chance to read the Diplomad's entry from yesterday:

http://diplomadic.blogspot.com/2005/01/more-unreality-but-dutch-get-it.html

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

More UNreality . . . But the Dutch Get It

Well, dear friends, we're now into the tenth day of the tsunami crisis and in this battered corner of Asia, the UN is nowhere to be seen -- unless you count at meetings, in five-star hotels, and holding press conferences.

Aussies and Yanks continue to carry the overwhelming bulk of the burden, but some other fine folks also have jumped in: e.g., the New Zealanders have provided C-130 lift and an excellent and much-needed potable water distribution system; the Singaporeans have provided great helo support; the Indians have a hospital ship taking position off Sumatra. Spain and Netherlands have sent aircraft with supplies.

The UN continues to send its best product, bureaucrats. Just today the city's Embassies got a letter from the local UN representative requesting a meeting for "Ms. Margareeta Wahlstrom, United Nations Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator and the Secretary-General's Special Coordinator for Humanitarian Assistance in Tsunami-afected countries." Wow! Put that on a business card! And she must be really, really special because she has the word "coordinator" twice in her title!

The letter, in typically modest UN style, goes on to explain that "Ms. Wahlstrom's main task will be to provide leadership and support to the international relief effort. She will undertake high-level consultations with the concerned governments in order to facilitate the delivery of international assistance." Oh, and she'll be visiting from January 4-5.

Once, again, a hearty Diplomadic "WOW!" She's going to do all that in two days! The Australians and we have been feeding and otherwise helping tens-of-thousands of people stay alive for the past ten days, and still have a long, long way to go, but she's going to wrap the whole thing up in a couple of days of meetings. Thank goodness she's here to provide the poor lost Aussies and Yanks with leadership. The Diplomad bows in awe to such power and wisdom. The letter is signed, by the way, by the same UN official who suggested a couple of days back that the Australian and US air traffic controllers in Aceh should don UN blue (see our post of January 2.)

Ok, enough with the UN; you get the picture. Now to the EU. The EU could copy the Australian-American model of acting quickly and effectively to save lives, or they could copy the UN model of meeting at a leisurely pace to plan for the possibility of setting up a coordination center that will consider making a plan for the possibility of an operations center to consider beginning to request support for the tsunami's victims. Ah, my wise friends, guess which model of "action" the EU chose? No need to emulate those "cowboys" from Australia and the USA with their airplanes and loading crews working round-the-clock; oh, no, much too tacky, sweaty and dirty. No need to feed into the system those goofy Aussiyankeebushowardian New World Anglo-Saxons already have created. No, they'll follow the much more elegant Kofi Annan model. A couple of EU planners have shown up to begin making arrangements for an assessment team to arrive, etc., etc., you know the rest. Meanwhile, people die.

But all is not lost. The Dutch, who on occasion show the great common sense for which they were once justifiably famous, have signed up with the Aussiyankeebushowardian Core Group. Thanks to a European Diplomad (Yes, The Diplomadic insurgency has gone international!) we have in our possession a short situation report circulated by the Dutch at the most recent EU meeting here in this corner of the Far Abroad. This January 2 report is written by local Dutch diplomats who traveled to Aceh and saw the reality on the ground. We will cite the two principal paragraphs, and leave them unedited in their original rather charming Dutch-English,

The US military has arrived and is clearly establishing its presence everywhere in Banda Aceh. They completely have taken over the military hospital, which was a mess until yesterday but is now completely up and running. They brought big stocks of medicines, materials for the operation room, teams of doctors, water and food. Most of the patients who were lying in the hospital untreated for a week have undergone medical treatment by the US teams by this afternoon. US military have unloaded lots of heavy vehicles and organize the logistics with Indonesian military near the airport. A big camp is being set up at a major square in the town. Huge generators are ready to provide electricity. US helicopters fly to places which haven't been reached for the whole week and drop food. The impression it makes on the people is also highly positive; finally something happens in the city of Banda Aceh and finally it seems some people are in control and are doing something. No talking but action. European countries are until now invisible on the ground. IOM staff (note: this is a USAID-funded organization) is very busy briefing the incoming Americans and Australians about the situation.

The US, Australia, Singapore and the Indonesian military have started a 'Coalition Co-ordination Centre' in Medan to organize all the incoming and outgoing military flights with aid. A sub-centre is established in Banda Aceh."

Isn't that nice? Europeans with a sense of reality.
0 Replies

gorgeous

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 04:08 pm
ABE LINCON
I think the use of the US abe lincoln to help the tsunami victims is important and they are doing the best they can in the situation. they were one of the first called to help with the situation. they have supplied medicine, water, food and other supplies to the victims. they work around the clock to help the people. i think what they are doing is important and i honor them.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 04:19 pm
Once the sitution is stablized, the rebuilding efforts will be a huge boon to the area.

Lower 48 folks always talk about the Exxon Valdez being a huge disaster, but the people who live in the area of the spill know it turned out to be a huge boondoggle for them, pumping billions of $$$ into the local enonomy and infrastructre.

Not to belittle or minimize the loss of life caused by the tsunami, but in the long run, the areas affected by the disaster will be more vibrant than ever.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 04:31 pm
Well, so there's some hope for where you live, too, cjhsa: just wait for the next really bad earthquake, get a couple of hundred thousand deaths - and you've got an even more vibrant Calfornia than ever.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 04:39 pm
Yeah, I know.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 05:47 pm
Quote:
It was one of the few moments of light relief in what has otherwise been a week of heart-rending loss, ghoulish encounters with death and heroic self-sacrifice. The scene was Phuket's town hall, which has become the polyglot headquarters of the huge international operation to recover bodies and support the survivors of last week's tsunami.

The comedy was provided by the visiting governor of Florida, Jeb Bush, who might reasonably have expected at least a celebrity's welcome, if not a hero's. But even though he is the brother of the most powerful man on Earth and came bearing news of a $350 million U.S. contribution to the $2.5bn international relief effort, nobody seemed to know who he was.

"Who are you?" asked one slightly bemused Australian consular official as the large-girthed U.S. stranger pumped his hand.

"I'm Jeb Bush."

"Oh, are you a relative of the president?" said the interlocutor, jokingly.

"Yes I am. I am his little brother."

"Oh," came the reply. "Good for you."

Jeb Bush was not the only senior U.S. official who appeared to feel awkward. Secretary of State Colin Powell came close to damaging his reputation as the Bush administration's leading diplomat when he walked into the room, strolled to the U.S. desk, shook the hands of the people working there and then walked straight back out again. It was only when he was downstairs that an aide suggested he "might like" to meet the volunteers from some of the other countries, too. Reminded that he is part of an international relief mission, Powell promptly turned on his heels once again and marched back up the stairs to belatedly press some non-American flesh.

"I am his little brother."
0 Replies