Who do you think will win the next election?

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 01:10 pm
Unfortunately I think Trump is on track to win again. The economy was already trending better when he was elected and should continue to improve. Even though presidents have little effect on the economy the economy has a big effect on presidential elections.

Isis is also on track to be defeated, and was already so as well, but will happen under his watch.

With all the focus on whether he can be impeached in the short term, I don't think enough people realize he has a very good shot at making this an 8-year presidency.

I, for one, am doing all I can to make that not happen (starting a superpac and becoming politically active). I don't care if it's a conservative or progressive who replaces him, I at least just want an adult that is not a national embarrassment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 2,805 • Replies: 59

Sturgis

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 04:02 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Time will tell. It's still a bit early to make predictions,, since, we don't yet have a slate of characters looking to run.

On a side note, Andrew Cuomo, New York State Governor, may be testing the waters. Although he is running for reelection next year, he has done some things which indicate aspirations for a life post-governorship. This includes having gone to the U.S. Virgin Islands after their recent hurricanes. He is one who I could see as going up against Trump and destroying him.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 04:46 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You are not the only one to think that. I have read the same thought by more than one respected source. The media while not openly supporting him are surprisingly soft on him. They are giving little or no voice to potential opponents.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 04:52 pm
@Sturgis,
I think Cuomo would get pounded by Trump, actually. He's the exact opposite of who I want going up against him.

The Dems better do a good job of coalescing around a candidate or two within the next year, because none of the current people being discussed have much of a chance other than Warren, who swears up and down she's not going to run.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 06:37 pm
@Sturgis,
It's definitely early and there is a lot of time left for things to change dramatically, I just think that as things are trending a Trump reelection is more likely than an impeachment.
roger

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 07:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Either impeached or reelected. I hope you know that's a very unusual pair of possibilities. Seems possible, though.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 08:04 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Who do you think will win the next election?

I hold with my prediction from just after the New Hampshire primary:

Trump will be president for 8 years.

Trump is the beginning of 20 straight years of Republican control over the White House (with future Republican presidents holding ideals similar to Trump's ideals).

Even after 20 years of Republican rule, the Democrats will not win back the White House until they purge their liberals and nominate a Trump-lite to be their standard bearer (sort of like how Bill Clinton had to be Reagan-lite in order to win during the Reagan era).

Robert Gentel wrote:
Isis is also on track to be defeated, and was already so as well, but will happen under his watch.

Islamic State is small potatoes. I'm thinking nuclear war with North Korea (they start it and Trump finishes it).
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 10:22 pm
By 2020, Trump will be living in Russia to avoid Federal prosecution and making RT videos lauding Vladimir Putin as being the world's best chance against "The New World Order". His RT show will be entitled, I Fought The Rothschilds And The Rothschilds Won.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 03:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,

According to the latest Granite State Poll by the University of New Hampshire Survey Center and released Wednesday, while nearly all likely Democratic primary voters are still trying to make up their minds in the 2020 New Hampshire presidential primary, Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren are early front-runners. Interest in the 2020 primary is greater than at this point in the last two electoral cycles.

http://www.fosters.com/news/20171019/bernie-sanders-in-rollinsford-sunday
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 04:11 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

According to the latest Granite State Poll by the University of New Hampshire Survey Center and released Wednesday, while nearly all likely Democratic primary voters are still trying to make up their minds in the 2020 New Hampshire presidential primary, Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren are early front-runners. Interest in the 2020 primary is greater than at this point in the last two electoral cycles.

http://www.fosters.com/news/20171019/bernie-sanders-in-rollinsford-sunday

I just saw an article about Democrats systematically ejecting as many Bernie supporters as possible.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 12:58 am
@Real Music,
Quote Real Music:
Quote:
According to the latest Granite State Poll by the University of New Hampshire Survey Center and released Wednesday, while nearly all likely Democratic primary voters are still trying to make up their minds in the 2020 New Hampshire presidential primary, Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren are early front-runners.

Ages in 2020: 78, 78, and 71. Agewise, only Warren would be sensible, and then she should only have one term if she wins it.

I don't want someone near 80 taking the call about what to do now that Russian Tanks have entered Poland or even Paris.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 04:40 am
@Blickers,
I would vote for Warren if necessary, although I don't feel as good about her as I once did. Hillary running around like Nixon did, to rehabilitate his image, might signal she secretly wants a third shot does not make me happy.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 06:26 am
@Robert Gentel,
The problem isn't Trump. The problem is the Democrats are so weak.

The Democrats have alienated a large part of the middle of America with policies that they see as unamerican. I believe that Hillary lost the election when she made her comment about "deplorables". I remember going to the local fair and seeing defiant "I am a deplorable" t-shirts during the election... that one statement summed up how people felt about the Democrats; elitist and out of touch.

The Democrats need a general message that resonates with most Americans, and they are going to need to pull in more people from middle America. This means accepting people who are pro-life. This means toning back some of the social rhetoric. A governing party needs to lead from the middle.

The way Trump has done this by speaking to both sides. He has told Dreamers that he has a heart for them. He has told people that insurance will guarantee coverage for pre-existing conditions. What Trump is doing is duplicitous and ridiculous. But it works better than what the Democrats are doing.

The Democrats need a clear, inclusive message. And they need to be better than Trump at speaking to the needs of Americans at large. This is a pretty low bar... yet somehow it seems quite possible that the Democrats will fail to clear it, again.
cameronleon

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 07:35 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The problem isn't Trump. The problem is the Democrats are so weak.

The Democrats have alienated a large part of the middle of America with policies that they see as unamerican. I believe that Hillary lost the election when she made her comment about "deplorables". I remember going to the local fair and seeing defiant "I am a deplorable" t-shirts during the election... that one statement summed up how people felt about the Democrats; elitist and out of touch.

The Democrats need a general message that resonates with most Americans, and they are going to need to pull in more people from middle America. This means accepting people who are pro-life. This means toning back some of the social rhetoric. A governing party needs to lead from the middle.

The way Trump has done this by speaking to both sides. He has told Dreamers that he has a heart for them. He has told people that insurance will guarantee coverage for pre-existing conditions. What Trump is doing is duplicitous and ridiculous. But it works better than what the Democrats are doing.

The Democrats need a clear, inclusive message. And they need to be better than Trump at speaking to the needs of Americans at large. This is a pretty low bar... yet somehow it seems quite possible that the Democrats will fail to clear it, again.

Very interesting thought.

It can be added that the best for Democrats is working with president Trump.

Totally the contrary to what Democrats are doing, working with president Trump will bring "peace" and unity, and people do vote for the one who"unifies".

I heard propaganda from Democrat candidates insulting the president, saying that the Republican candidate is a follower of hatred, discrimination, etc. because stands in agreement with president Trump, and so forth.

Such was the strategy of Hillary Clinton and this is the biggest reason why she lost, she herself destroyed her image.

Only social resent, people refused by Ross Perot (If you hate other people I don't want your vote") voted blinded for Hillary Clinton.

Candidates must prove that they will work for "everybody" not solely for a certain kind or class of society.

The future of the country doesn't depend on Republican or Democrat tendencies but in working together.

How hard is this simple fact to be understood by all the attackers who use able2know forums to discredit president Trump at all cost?

maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 08:24 am
@cameronleon,
Quote:
It can be added that the best for Democrats is working with president Trump.

Totally the contrary to what Democrats are doing, working with president Trump will bring "peace" and unity, and people do vote for the one who"unifies".

I disagree with this. This isn't at all what I was saying. I am not fan of Donald Trump. Quite the contrary. The Democrats have to counter Trump... to be able to speak directly to middle America about why they offer better governance. The need to offer a positive message... rather than a negative one. But this does not mean "working with president Trump". Of course, where Trump has a good policy they should go along, but this doesn't happen very often.

The problem is that the Democrats aren't drawing in middle America. This has nothing to do with Trump.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 02:24 pm
@cameronleon,
Says the Holocaust-denying white supremacist. I doubt any sane politician of either party would welcome your endorsement.
roger

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 02:47 pm
@wmwcjr,
You got to be kidding. Some politicians will accept any and all endorsements - depending on which crowd they are addressing at the moment.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 02:50 pm
@Real Music,
good lord

3 ancient candidates

__

I listened to an interesting program on Monocle recently, talking about the very significant problem the Democrats have as they don't have a succession plan. They forgot to develop the two generations below Obama and they're paying for it.
Blickers

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 08:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Obama wasn't really developed. He broke through in 2004 with his speech at the convention and opened everyone's eyes. Before that he was a local Chicago law professor thinking of running for Congress.
Real Music

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 07:35 pm
@cameronleon,
Quote:
How hard is this simple fact to be understood by all the attackers who use able2know forums to discredit president Trump at all cost?

No one is forcing Trump to be a horrible person.

Trump chooses to be a horrible person.

No one is forcing Trump to tell lies every single day of his presidency.

Trump chooses to tell lies every single day of his presidency.
0 Replies