Universe- how can something come from nothing?

CM130

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 07:54 pm
I understand that the big bang is responsible for creating the universe but how did the big bang come about?

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 11:44 pm
@CM130,
The Big Bang didn't create the universe. The Big Bang is the universe, from a point where the physical laws became viable to its evolution to what it is today. What existed or what happened before that point can only be speculated upon. It's more likely that there was something before this point, and not nothing, like some infinite process which the universe, finitely or not, is a part of.
chai2

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 11:47 pm
@InfraBlue,
Very well said.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 06:14 am
@InfraBlue,
I like that: There was never nothing.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 07:09 am
@InfraBlue,
Nice work on that answer.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2017 02:00 pm
@CM130,
God learned to count to six; on number seven He rested.
oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 09:06 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
It's more likely that there was something before this point, and not nothing, like some infinite process which the universe, finitely or not, is a part of.

That isn't my understanding. As far as I understand the issue, the question of what came before the Big Bang essentially has no meaning, as there is no such thing as "before the Big Bang".
chai2

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 11:02 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

What existed or what happened before that point can only be speculated upon. It's more likely that there was something before this point, and not nothing, like some infinite process which the universe, finitely or not, is a part of.

Oralloy, per what InfraBlue said, what yours, or anyones understanding is can only be speculated upon.

No one can state with certainty "there is no such thing as before the BB"

To my personal way of thinking, the idea that there was no such thing as before the BB smacks of magical/supernatural thinking. Same as when someone uses the same sort of thinking as the explanation that "well, Something/Someone had to cause it."

The only certain answer is "I/we don't know"

However, the idea that there is no before and after, just a different presentation, as InfraBlue said, "a point where the physical laws became viable to its evolution to what it is today" pretty much eliminates the idea of some Other, or Something that made the BB happen.

A young girl produces only a small amount of estrogen. At a certain point the hypothalamus starts to produce gonadotrophin releasing hormone and estrogen production increases, resulting in womanhood. Of course we can see the girl, and the later woman, but that time frame when this happens in pretty much a BB. No one knows for certain what makes the hypothalamus decide "todays the day" We can speculate, maybe someday we'll know for sure. However, it's the same idea that the physical laws became viable to it's evolution of what it is today.

0 Replies

kk4mds

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 02:58 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
God learned to count to six; on number seven He rested.

Hogwash! He had to make his tee time.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 03:05 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
It's more likely that there was something before this point, and not nothing, like some infinite process which the universe, finitely or not, is a part of.

That isn't my understanding. As far as I understand the issue, the question of what came before the Big Bang essentially has no meaning, as there is no such thing as "before the Big Bang".

General Relativity allows for the expansion and contraction of the universe, mathematically speaking, so it's possible that it can be an infinite cycle or process, among other scenarios.
0 Replies

peacecrusader888

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2017 04:14 pm
Revelation 1:8 states: "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the LORD, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty."
0 Replies

cameronleon

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 05:32 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
The Big Bang didn't create the universe. The Big Bang is the universe, from a point where the physical laws became viable to its evolution to what it is today. What existed or what happened before that point can only be speculated upon. It's more likely that there was something before this point, and not nothing, like some infinite process which the universe, finitely or not, is a part of.

The Big Bang theory states that the whole universe known today was at one primeval point, a microscopic condensed particle which by some unknown reason started to expand.

"A microscopic particle".

So, from this microscopic particle came galaxies, stars, planets, etc.

This is the most ridiculous and stupid idea ever ever told by a dude who is assumed to be a scientists.(Besides relativity, of course)

What a dull fantasy this Big Bang theory... lol.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 01:38 pm
@cameronleon,
Quote:
The Big Bang theory states that the whole universe known today was at one primeval point, a microscopic condensed particle which by some unknown reason started to expand.

No it doesn't.
0 Replies

kk4mds

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 01:53 pm
@cameronleon,
Quote:

No it doesn't. You need to learn more about the Big Bang. Prior to the Big Bang there was nothing, so the term point had no meaning. The first result of the Big Bang was the release of tremendous, unimaginable amounts of energy. That is what formed our universe.

The latest explanation, at least that I have seen, and I don't recall the entire thing, is that something occurs outside of a black hole. At some point it expands at the speed of light, forming a new universe, while doing away with the old one, like it never existed. I wish I could find the paper, but it is lost in the plethora of information that is available. If I can ever find it I'll provide a citation.

Based on that idea, what came before the big bang was an already existing universe. However, no trace of the previous universe would exist.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 06:58 pm
@CM130,
The answer is that no one knows.

Those who remain rigidly connected to the idea that there is no Supreme Creator will spill a lot of glib gobbildy gook and smugly think it advances their position.

The reality is that we don't know so anything is possible as the answer.
0 Replies

Hodgarrik

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2017 11:52 am
@cameronleon,
I agree, the whole Big Bang idea is extremely stupid, anti scientific and illogical, hence scientist works with this. lol
Steelpulse41

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 08:25 pm
@Hodgarrik,
Yep,like a wierd form of propoganda
0 Replies

OldGrumpy

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 12:01 pm
Well, I think it is a really good question.

How the hell can "nothing", create "something"?

Well, of course it can't, a two year old can figure that out!

rosborne979

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 02:09 pm
@OldGrumpy,
OldGrumpy wrote:
Well, of course it can't, a two year old can figure that out!

Two year olds are very cute, but they are not the best source of information when it comes to cutting edge cosmological physics.
OldGrumpy

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 11:12 pm
@rosborne979,
well, do you understand how 'something' can come from 'nothing"?

sheer impossible!