Letter examination/Proofread

18dundj

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 09:30 am
This isn't so much a question as it is a request. Please look over my business style letter to S.E. Hinton and give your opinions/advice about how I might improve it or point out any grammar errors.

(My address)

Susan Eloise Hinton
edited out author's address for her privacy - moderator

Dear Ms. Hinton:

I am writing to tell you that I profoundly enjoyed The Outsiders. I am a senior in high school, and I just read the book for the first time, and I honestly didn’t expect it to be very entertaining. I did technically “have” to read it because it was for my English class, but if I didn’t like it, I only would have found key points or basically just answers for a test. I read quite a bit, but I usually stick to fantasy or mythological books, though I’m genuinely happy I switched it up for once.

While I found myself enthralled with the entirety of The Outsiders, there were several things in and about the book that I appreciated above the rest. I was delighted when I discovered that the whole book was acknowledged as such and was written by Ponyboy to tell the greasers’ side of the story. The text being written without perfect grammar outside of the dialogue really helped to keep you invested; moreover, it helps make you forget that you are reading a book. While I’m sure you hear this often from fans in my age group, I still feel that I should say the teenager perspective made it much more relatable to me and gave me a larger sense of familiarity than if the main characters were all fully grown adults. As dark as this may sound, I am glad that Johnny and Dally didn’t make it. The book’s ending feels much more emotionally charged and the “happily ever after ending” would not have felt nearly as satisfying when compared to Ponyboy’s recovering state.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would answer a couple of questions to help clarify some things for me. The obvious question: why the names Ponyboy and Sodapop? I know that it was mentioned in the book that their father was original, but what made you think to go this route to portray that? Whenever I have to write, the characters and how they act (whether I’m the one who made them or not) are always much easier to figure out then the actual plot of the story. Is it like this for you as well? As I have already mentioned, I usually read different genres than this. What made you decide to write it in a realistic fiction style?

I looked at Robert Frost’s Nothing Gold Can Stay a few times before reading Johnny’s last words, and I can honestly say I didn’t make the connection to childhood innocence beforehand. I only saw it as a different wording of the phrase; all goods things must end. After having read The Outsiders I now plan on reading more of your books. If they are anywhere near as good, they should be well worth the read. I would be near ecstatic if you took the time out of your schedule to give a short reply.

Sincerely,

(My name)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 731 • Replies: 7
No top replies

18dundj

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 09:47 am
@18dundj,
sorry the letter topic has to be so specific, I know this makes it harder to help but any advice about letter writing in general would be welcome
18dundj

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 10:36 am
@18dundj,
absolutely anything would be helpful no matter how small
I'm a bit worried about it and I'm kind of desperate
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 10:50 am
@18dundj,
Okay, it's written very well so no need to be desperate. One suggestion:

Quote:
I was delighted when I discovered that the whole book was acknowledged as such and was written by Ponyboy to tell the greasers’ side of the story.

Clean this sentence up, I don't really know what the first part is trying to say.

Overall a fine letter though and better than the vast majority of things I see posted here for help, so don't worry -

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
18dundj

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 10:52 am
@Cycloptichorn,
thank you very much for the help
0 Replies

18dundj

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 10:59 am
please don't let cycloptichorn's help deter anybody from posting advice, more is always better in these situations
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 11:29 am
@18dundj,
Nearly perfect, and I agree with Cyclo that there's just the one odd sentence. It may work better as two separate sentences.

Also, be sure to enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope! Smile She is a wonderful author and I hope you enjoy her other works even half as much.
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 01:02 pm
@jespah,
(I'd bet this was an assignment for a class. (Write to your favorite author)

But anyway . . . .

The Chicago Manual of Style says: When quoted in text or listed in a bibliography, titles of books, journals, plays, and other freestanding works are italicized; titles of articles, chapters, and other shorter works are set in roman and enclosed in quotation marks.
0 Replies