Witness to history...pick a day, any day.

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 08:39 am
I'm just curious about you history connoisseurs -I've got the time machine ready and waiting. If you could travel back in time, to any period and date - what would you pick? What event would you most like to have experienced first hand. You are guaranteed a safe return so don't worry about plagues, food poisoning or a Viking axe being lodged in your head.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,817 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Grande Armee

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 12:35 am
I'd like to see the start of the French Revolution right up to Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo. Immense period in French history imo.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 04:21 am
Grande Armée :

And being an actor of "reign of terror", ending like Robespierre?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 12:04 pm
Ever since I visited Marie Antoinette's little faux shepherdess' village I have had some sympathy for her. I thought anyone who could of conceive of something so charming couldn't be all bad. After reading a couple of recent biographies about her my sympathy has increased. I think she was a victim of privilege and her times, in an odd kind of way. No tears over Louis XVI here - I think the French were right-on getting rid of him.

If I had to chose a queen to live under- I would go with Elizabeth I.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 12:32 pm
To know all about her complicated love affairs?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 12:52 pm
I'm one of those rare Americans who doesn't care about a leader's sex life - just how they lead.

If Elizabeth I could have her "virginity" and lovers too - all the more power to her.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 01:10 pm
I cheer you for thinking so.

And, BTW, Welcome to A2K!!!
0 Replies

Grande Armee

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:57 am
Francis wrote:
Grande Armée :

And being an actor of "reign of terror", ending like Robespierre?

The "Terror" was indeed a very bad time. The birth of extreme radicalism I believe. Still a fascinating period in time.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:01 am
I would love to witness the debate over the Constitution, although, of course, that would be a rather drawn out "event."
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:06 am
Oh do I have to pick just one? I am an avid History Geek.

Just a taste of the 1700's in Scotland during the war with the English, although the lifestyle is less than attractive for a moden person (pew...) Clan history is extremely interesting to me.

The roaring 20's when mob life was at it's peak. I'd love to have hung around with the wiseguys just to see what it was really like. The whole lifestyle facinates me.

Just two of my absolute favorite historical interests.
0 Replies

VooDoo

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:55 am
The unification of China and the reign of Emperor Qin. I'm an ancient Chinese history buff. The terracotta warriors, the heavenly horses, the Great Wallm the Silk Road, classical chinese philosophy. It all brings a smile to this geek's face.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:13 am
What century {western calendar} did the unification take place? Was this the same time period that the movie "Hero" placed it's mythical story? I have seen the terracotta warriors on exhibit in NYC, but I don't remember the dates.
0 Replies

conman71

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 07:25 pm
How about...

October 1917 (Rise of Soviet Bolsheviks)
9 Nov. 1989 (Fall of Berlin Wall)
6 June 1944 (Invasion of Normandy)

I have always been somewhat mystified by the life of communism, especially in the Soviet Union. Plus, I'd just like to witness the massive scale of the landings in Normandy.
0 Replies

VooDoo

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:36 pm
Green Witch wrote:
What century {western calendar} did the unification take place? Was this the same time period that the movie "Hero" placed it's mythical story? I have seen the terracotta warriors on exhibit in NYC, but I don't remember the dates.

Hi Green Witch , in answer to your questions: the unification took place under the Qin dynasty from 221-206 BCE. And yes, the movie "Hero" by Zhang Yimou is loosely based on assassination attempts on the first emperor Qin Shihuangdi. He died in 210 BCE but the Warriors were only recently discovered in 1974.

Conman71- I recently met someone who present when the Berlin Wall came down. He said it was one of the most memorable and astonishing moments in his life. Made me wish I was there.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:50 pm
I'm surprised that no one, so far, has mentioned the Crucifixtion, just to see whether it really happened and what really happened. I mean, if the Bible is correct, wouldn't you just love to be there on the day of the alleged Resurrection?
0 Replies

conman71

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 08:24 am
Good point, Merry Andrew. Especially after The DaVinci Code and this kind of duobt surrounding the Catholic Church.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 06:49 pm
I'm so conditioned to keep faith locked away from academic thought that it didn't even pop into my head to go back to an event just to prove it happened. There are probably a lot of such events that fall into the mythical or faith based belief of history- such as the warrior stuffed Trojan Horse or the parting of the Red Sea.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 06:55 pm
I would pick the witch burnings of the 1700's in england

Then i would like to travel to the Ice Age in northern europe.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 07:05 pm
I'd love ro be in Hastings, England in October, 1066.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 07:09 pm
I think I would have liked to have been one of the first settlers in the West...maybe Montana or Wyoming. Traveled in covered wagons.......
0 Replies