I want the US to lose the war in Iraq

old europe

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 09:44 pm
I haven't implied that it was done for the Armenians. I was just wondering why you were apparently so fond of the Ottoman Empire. By the time of the Sykes-Picot Treaty, France and Britain combined were probably no worse than the Ottoman Empire.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 10:50 pm
No particular fondness at all for that now-departed empire. By 1914 is was barely hanging on. For over two centuries Britain had alternately propped up the Ottomans whenever they feared the Russians, and attempted to tear them apart when they didn't.

My point is merely that in bringing it down, in seizing and attempting to govern (and exploit) its richest parts, and in destroying the Moslem Caliphate, Britain and France unleashed thousands of ills on the world, most far worse than the dregs of old civic horrors drug up by the New York Times and pasted here by muddle-headed liberal patsies as indicative of something still relevant in the world.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 05:43 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Frankly I think you have far more anecdotal knowledge of both history and the way in which governments work than real understanding. That is not to belie your understanding particularly, in that your wealth of anecdotal detail is great. However you manage to get some fundamentals very wrong indeed.

Someone has used a quote of yours to the effect that those who have no argument resort to condescension. I suggest that you need to revisit that quote.

Quote:
Our government has no obligation legal or moral to cure all the ills of the world.

Nor have i suggested that they do. This statement beggars the self-serving and mealy-mouth protestetations of the current administration about the virtue of freeing the Iraqi people. That claim to virtue was not advanced until it became apparent that little or no evidence would be forthcoming to prove the allegations of Iraqi WoMD resources and stockpiles, and an intentional and disingenuous campaign to imply in the minds our less critical fellow citizens that the Iraqis were involved in the September 11th attacks. Certainly we have no such obligation--and that includes in Iraq.

Quote:
The order in which one takes out his enemies in a fight or a threatening situation is not necessarily in the rank order of the threats they impose. This is a basic principle of any brawl, and it applies to nations as well.

Don't try to teach your grandmother to suck eggs. I'll warrant i've been in as many brawls, if not more, than have you. Once again, your didactic tone recalls to me the quote of you disparaging the value of the arguments of those who resort to condescension.

Quote:
North Korea is far better contained by its neighbors now than it was by the bribes paid during the Clinton years.

I suggest that you have an odd definition of contained. Japan could, just barely, defend itself against a conventional attack, were the North Koreans able to overcome their disadvantage in naval forces. Japan has no way to defend itself from nuclear attack by the North Koreans, who long have had the ability not simply to deploy intermediate range ballistic missiles, but to manufacture them in quantities sufficient for a brisk international trade in that commodity--in the 1980's, Iraq was one of their biggest customers. This was such common knowledge among casual students of military subjects, that i first read about in a war-gaming magazine. One trip to the local university library confirmed everything i had read.

South Korea, with substantial American aid, is able to defend itself. China makes no pretense of "containing" North Korea, and only grudgingly, at best, assents to putting any pressure on them to negotiate. A nuclear-armed North Korea with an unstable leadership remains the biggest threat to the stability of the western Pacific rim. You have simply stated from authority that they are "contained," and expect it to be swallowed whole by those who read here.

The contention that Hussein threatened the southwest Asian region with WoMD's was notional at best, and no compelling evidence is forthcoming. No one has any doubt about North Korea's possession of weapons of mass destruction, and the requisite delivery systems. You seem to me to be making it up as you go along, in a failing attempt to support your thesis.

Quote:
The relationship I characterized with the Iraqis persisted over many years in the Gulf. It was not merely the character of one meeting or (as was the case) several. I was not involved with the formation of our political policy, but I was directly involved with the execution of many aspects of it in both the Atlantic and the Pacific/Indian ocean regions for a long time.

The "aid" provided to Iraq during the '80s was just enough to keep them in the fight with the Iranians, no more. It was not very substantial, and it was given for the most realpolitik of reasons.

In view of the scale of casualties on both sides in the Persian war, i am rather curious as to your definition of substantial. However one defines that, we were happy to use them as proxies to smite the Persian Amalekites hip and thigh.

Quote:
Are you trying to say the French sold all those weapons to Saddam and signed all those oil development contracts with him because of our "tacit encouragement"? Funny our "tacit encouragement" of them hasn't worked anywhere else. Moreover you have this detail dead wrong. France was the major western arms supplier to Iraq long before Reagan came on the scene.

I am saying, and ought to have made this clear, that in light of all the contentions flying around these fora about what the Europeans did and did not do to provide Iraq military aid, the position of the Reagan administration did nothing to discourage it, and in fact gave a distinct impression that the Americans were in no wise averse to such transactions. The Soviet Union was Iraq's major weapons supplier.

Quote:
The policies that - in the face of general opposition from continental western Europeans - brought down the Soviet Empire without a war were hardly the stuff of "shoot-from-the-hip" policy making. That phase ended in 1982 when the feckless Jimmy Carter left the stage and Reagan took office.

Feckless means without faith--i would like to know in what particular you contend that Mr. Carter broke faith, and with whom and with regard to what. I have already had pages of exchange with you in which i ridicule your contention that Reagan brought down the Soviet empire. I don't intend to rehearse those arguments, but simply to remind you of them, and to assure you that i continue to ridicule, to laugh to scorn, the notion that the cowboy in White House in those days deserves any credit for that event.

Quote:
I don't know just what constitutes "ratified by the American people" in your definition. However two elections as president, each by relatively large majorities, does the job in my view.

I wrote: "It was not a policy ratified by the American people, except perhaps by a particularly elastic stretch of the imagination which sought to ramify Reagan's garnering a majority of voter turn-outs twice into the express will of the people, which it certainly was not." The express will of the people is what the people have said they want--hence, the use of the word express. My statement also refers to voter turn-outs. I voted in those elections as well, you know. The voter turnouts in 1980 and 1984 were among the proportionately lowest in our nation's history. Therefore, to assert that Reagan's goofy foreign policy was ratified by the people, it would be necessary to contend that garnering a majority of a 40% voter turn-out (which is very close to the voter turn-out in 1980) can be taken to be the express will of the people. Which is nonsense. Even three-fourths of such a turn-out, something Reagan did not achieve in either election, would only represent 30% of the entire electorate.

Quote:
"Secret meetings" between the Vice President and Energy executives are substantially no different than "secret meetings" between government officials ant the representatives of any interest group -- labor unions, women's rights groups, environmentalists, and so on. It happens all the time.

That something happens all the time is a meaningless statement--custom cannot be held to ratify acts either venal or criminal, as courts have long held to be the case. I am curious to know when it is that you assert government has met secretly with labor unions, women's rights groups and environmentalists to further the formation of national policies crucial to the domestic economy of every household in America. You are stretching farther and farther in an attempt to make your arguments.

Quote:
The Energy Policy document that came our of Cheney's meetings and subsequent planning was almost verbatim reproduced in the recent reissue of the policy document which caused no stir at all. It was all a red herring stirred up by the Democrats to make political points. It was full of radical stuff like renewable fuel initiatives, the resumption of the construction of nuclear power plants in this country, more efficient distribution of natural gas and the licensing of LNG terminal construction to meet our needs, and measures to increase production of petroleum in our own reserves.

When a Federal court ordered the Vice President to turn over documents from that meeting--an order he has never complied with--it was precisely because an "energy policy document" which was thought fit for public consumption by the administration is no answer to a valid question of what went on in the meetings, why those meetings included energy industry executives, but no environmentalists and no members of the opposition party, and why the administration refused to release documents from those meetings--and they continue to stonewall to this day.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:35 am
Setanta wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

Grenada? People I've spoken to who were there tell me the locals were pointing the Cubans out to our troops so they could kill them. Doesn't sound like a whole lot of love lost there...

Ah yes, if you can argue nothing else, get out the anectdotal evidence.

Translation into plain English: you don't really have anything to add to the discussion. The people I spoke to were there. They mentioned being rather astonished at the locals pointing Cubans out to the Americans, particularly given the way America is usually painted by people like yourself. It didn't seem to fit the pattern or paradigm. The good news is that the bulk of the American people have now learned to ignore the MSM and the "super experts" like yourself.

Quote:

Quote:
Panama? Same thing. I have yet to hear about anybody in Panama who was sorry to see Noriega go.

I take it you slept for several years at this time. I sure that the surviving family members of the hundreds of Panamanians killed in the initial bombing, and by American troops in the streets thereafter were less than enchanted by the methods used. That is really inexcusable--if you know no more about contemporary events than to make a remark so clueless, you really have no business debating this.

Like I say, Panama is not on Mars. Panamanians have access to the American press and the financial wherewithal to express greviences to an American audience and the leftwing MSM media here would be only too happy aid and abet them in such an endeavor. If anybody in Panama was sorry to see Noriega go, I have yet to hear or read about it.
Quote:

Quote:
Nicarague in the 1930s you say? I mean, the other guy who was interested in south and central America in the 1930s was named Adolf Hitler. You're telling me the people in Nicaragua would have been better off working for him than for us??

As you obviously know nothing about this either, let me drop some hints for you. Sandino tells the peasants to work for themselves as opposed to the United Fruit Company (an American banana and pineapple buyers cartel). The UFC complains to Roosevelt, who sends in the United States Marines. They hunt down Sandino and his followers, killing uncounted hundreds, if not thousands of peasants. Then the dynasty of the vicious, murderous Samozas is installed. They keep up a low and steady level of killing until finally run out themselves. This is followed by the extended horror of civil war, and right wing Contras, who kill on suspicion, and are well-supported by Reagan, acting through scumbags like Ollie North. Your Hitler fantasy is the sort of remark typical of those who haven't a clue what they're talking about.

Now you're accusing Franklin Roosevent, a borderline communist, of fascist conduct....

I mean, basically, you're leaving several kinds of things out of your little worldview which, in real life, cannot be left out or ignored.

One is the question of south and central American countries being viewed as prizes by guys like Hitler, Stalin, or the "beloved leader" of North Korea whose agents are signing deals with this asshole Chavez in Venezuela as we speak. What does the ordinary guy in Venezuela have to gain from that, or from the reaction it will ultimately elicit from the US? What do people in Cuba or Nicarauga gain from that sort of crap? Do they actually think that North Korea can project more power in this hemisphere than we can?

Another is the question of whether there's any legitimacy in judging people of past ages by today's leftwing 'morality' and, likewise, ignoring real considerations as to what happens to a region or its people if the US fails to act as it did.

For instance, the United States moves into a malarial swamp and builds a canal for ships to pass between the oceans without having to round the cape. Not only does that create wealth for seafaring nations as well as for the locals, but without that canal Hitler and Tojo win WW-II and the locals, along with all of the world's other untermenschen, are either enslaved or killed off.

The leftist viewpoint: the evil yankees have once again stolen land from the poor, long suffering latinos, and the canal must be given to the locals to turn over to Chinese corporations to operate. Now, in the event of a war with China, the chicoms do not need that canal to USE it; all they need to do is blow it up, and then sail on back to China singing "Ninety nine bottles of beer on the wall, ninety nine bottles of beer; take one down, and pass it around..."

I mean, neither Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, Truman, Ike, or any other respectable president would have ever let a chicom within 1000 miles of that canal.

Stupidest white man ever to walk the Earth is a hell of a title. There are only a dozen or so legitimate candidates, including Thomas Malthus, Chuck Darwin, Paul Ehrlich, the dickheads who led Europe into WW-I, Hitler... Jimmy Carter is also a member of that exclusive little club.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:49 am
As i've already pointed out, you know squat about history--and you continue to prove the point for me.

Though I've belted you and flayed you,
By the livin' Gawd that made you,
You're a greater loon than I am, Gungasnake!

With sincere apologies to the shade of Rudyard Kipling.

See my last post in which i was foolish enough to have responed in detail to the reactionary fantasies which pass for history in your mind. Please note the end thereof:

Bye, bye, have fun, don't write.

Emphasis added, as it apparently didn't sink in the first time.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:55 am
Setanta,

I wasn't trying to use condescension as a rhetorical device, and I apologize for the overtones of that in my post. I was, however, trying to express my opinion that your remarkable knowledge of historical detail far exceeds your understanding of how government and its agencies really work.

Cheney's meetings with industry executives (and others) concerning energy policy were both long overdue and proper. The entrenched bureaucracies in EPA, the Energy and Interior departments, allied with NGOs and trial lawyers had created a situation in which private capital could not be got for the construction of new oil refineries, electrical power plants of any type but gas turbine, and nuclear power plants in particular.

Decades of research into favorite "green" energy sources, (starting back in the feckless (and I mean it) Carter administration) had produced almost nothing useful, and certainly nothing that could compete on its own economic merits without large tax-funded subsidies. The regulatory bureaucracies were, on the one hand, mandating certain additives in gasoline that marginally reduced certain oxides in emissions, and on the other penalizing the oil producers for the noxious presence of those same additives in the ground water. Upwards of twelve distinct gasoline formulas were required in different regions at different times of the year, adding a degree of complexity that an overtaxed, overaged, and underinvested system of refineries and pipeline distribution could not handle.

Many billions of dollars invested in nuclear power plants that were licensed, built and then shut down in the face of endless litigation on the part of zealots who were misusing poorly thought out law, (Shoreham in Long Island and WPPS in Washington state are but the most egregious of examples) and leaving the public with a dangerously deficient production and distribution system for electrical power. Despite enormous advances in the safety and efficiency of nuclear plants, no one has attempted to license or build one here in the last 25 years. 20% of our current electrical power consumption comes from nuclear plants all more than twenty five years old - and there is nothing available to replace them.

Bush and Cheney campaigned on, among other issues, the proposition that the deadlock on energy policy, created by the actions of entrenched government bureaucracies, NGOs and their political influence on the Congress, and a public misinformed by a mass media in the grip of its own particular bias, all needed to be broken to protect the public interest. The meeting was organized to work out a strategy to advance this proposition. The Democrat counterattack was just the desperate political reaction of the very groups threatened by it - groups which do precisely the same things themselves with their favorite organs of government.

We will likely never agree on the merits of Reagan's years as President - just as you said. It is noteworthy that the written record of his thoughts and actions fairly clearly demonstrates a consistency of thought, goal, and action with respect to the Soviet Empire, and that his goals were largely realized.

With respect to Iraq - we didn't encourage the French arms sales to Saddam any more than those of the Soviets. In particular we didn't like the French willingness to provide modern tactical aircraft and Exocet missile systems - the very ones that damaged our ship. (The British had the same problem with respect to these systems sold to Argentina and later used against them). Even while the Shah was in power in Iran, the French were busy currying favor with Saddam to gain economic and political advantage over us in the Gulf region. They acted rather consistently out of their own unique perception of self-interest, and weren't much influenced by us, tacitly or otherwise.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:00 am
george and finn asked
Quote:
What is your point, and what is the relevance to the topic of this thread?

simply a creampie in the face of the doofus who preceded me.

Will try to get back here later.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 09:49 am
Not to worry, rayban1: no matter how hard blatham or others attempt to bury your posts, I will find them.

rayban1 wrote:
Joe

Your proposition is sheer lunacy. In the short time I have been here I have read some of your "stuff" and had developed an appreciation for your intellect but you destroyed that appreciation with your gambit to garner a few accolades from your choir.

Alas, my hidden agenda exposed. And now I must learn to live without your appreciation for my intellect. A veritable tsunami of calamties befall me!

rayban1 wrote:
If the US embarked on your adventure it would open a "Pandora's Box" of unintended consequences that could/would destroy all the progress that our brilliant military has achieved to date and what so many have died for, not to mention those who have been maimed for life by those who would take the world back to the 7th century.

"Our brilliant military?" Help me out here, rayban: are you being sarcastically ironic or ironically sarcastic?

rayban1 wrote:
Your simplistic and shallow effort to examine a couple of the consequences is certainly not worthy of much discussion and I can only attribute it to a momentary lapse of rational thought on your part. It is analogous to giving the ACLU the keys to the city for their efforts in destroying this country from within..

You mean the ACLU that is supporting Rush Limbaugh in his fight with the Florida courts?

rayban1 wrote:
This president has committed this country and all of our resources to the furtherance of freedom and self determination throughout the world which I personally applaud. It is the beginning of an effort to give all oppressed people the will to retake their countries from the thugs who have stolen them ................ those same thugs who now control the UN.

The president's commitment of resources in the furtherance of freedom and self-determination has been, up to this point, highly erratic. Indeed, his response so far to perhaps the most dictatorial, repressive regime in the world -- North Korea -- has been positively benign.

rayban1 wrote:
You would smash all hope of freedom from millions of people who are dominated by thugs who will spit on your altruistic mumblings about a worldwide rule of law.

After W's invasion of Iraq, I don't think the US can lecture other countries about the worldwide rule of law.

rayban1 wrote:
These thugs would laugh at you as they jail their opposition who have dared to listen to the words of our President spoken with absolute sincerity. You are absolutely disregarding the world wide protection that the word "SOVEREIGNTY" gives to those who rule these "SOVEREIGN" parcels of misery and poverty for their people but provides luxury for those in power. The UN will always protect these thugs at the expense of the citizens while at the same time the good intentions of civilized countries who propose punishment for oppressors, will be reviled by the liberal media and laughed at by the lawless element.

Now I know you're being sarcastic.

rayban1 wrote:
Not only would the hopes of all oppressed people be permanently destroyed but it would at least temporarily destroy the soul of our military who believe without question we will triumph over evil because of our past history. Do you think that they risk their lives every second of every day for a few dollars???? It is their pride in our country and the idea that we are doing the "right" thing in Iraq and around the world in attempting to destroy those who believe in death and it's rewards in a nonexistent heaven.

It is indeed a sad fact that it was the American military that was deceived most of all by the administration's lies, half-truths, and prevarications.

rayban1 wrote:
Your precious rule of law and your unproven thesis that the war in Iraq is an unjust war puts you in the category of those who have a high IQ but "ZERO" common sense.

This is confusing. On the one hand you extol the "worldwide rule of law," and then, practically in the next sentence, you decry the "precious rule of law." Rule of law good or bad? Make a choice, rayban.

rayban1 wrote:
In conclusion, I can only express my happiness that you are not our president and are instead just a misguided attorney.

And I must express my dismay that you are the president -- or at least his amanuensis.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 10:03 am
Hadn't thought about that one Joe . . . the ol' Shrub would certainly need an amanuensis if one assumes that he writes as well as he speaks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 10:09 am
O'George wrote:
I wasn't trying to use condescension as a rhetorical device, and I apologize for the overtones of that in my post. I was, however, trying to express my opinion that your remarkable knowledge of historical detail far exceeds your understanding of how government and its agencies really work.

I both know how government is intended to work, and how it actually works. That i scorn the self-serving expedients which are evident in the workings of government from Thucydides to the present does not mean i am ignorant. That i condemn the actions of self-appointed ad hoc oligarchies doesn't make me a babe in the woods.

That was a pretty nasty little trick there, O'George: make apologetic noises, and then jam the bodkin just a little further in.

You may assume, as this will be the case, that you will hear nothing further from me except frivolities--as i continue to respect you, despite your evinced political opinions, and a continuation of your sneers and condescension would likely end that.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 12:39 pm
I don't think being wrong or having that pointed out is a particulary nasty or unusual thing -- happens all the time to anyone who is really engaged in any process, myself porominently included.. My experience has been that the thing that most reliably distinguishes those who achieve from others is not so much what they know, as it is how they deal with contradictory facts and new information.

In any case I have enjoyed the conversations with you and have learned from them. I will regret their loss.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 12:41 pm
Couldn't resist once again asserting that i am wrong and you are right, could you O'George? Purporting that your cherished political opinions have the authority of pragmatic governance only makes you ideologically boorish, which is out of character for your behavior in responding to any other subject.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 02:17 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Setanta,

I wasn't trying to use condescension as a rhetorical device...

Having two guys (Setanta and somebody else) doing that on the same thread would be a bit much...
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 03:56 pm
Joe
Thanks for the new word or at least new to me...amanuensis....wow. Of course being an attorney you would be familiar with this word. Other than this you seem not to have said much of interest.

I'm surprised.....you normally do a fairly good job of dissecting. Of course we must observe the rule of law............WHERE IT CAN BE ENFORCED! You, as an attorney know how important ENFORCEMENT is to the rule of law but you must have enough common sense to know that where sovereign nations are concerned, enforcement is impossible. Therefore for all PRACTICAL purposes your altruistic wishful thinking may as well be "pie in the sky". The UN, which is now controlled by rogue nations, will laugh at any real emphasis on the rule of law except when it serves their purposes such as any attempt to limit the power of the US. This is why we must never sign on to any such attempt to limit our effectiveness or to try any of our citizens in a world court. If we sign on.....we must abide by it.......rogue nations will never observe the rules. Good examples are North Korea and Iran.......Iran interprets any "deal" with infidels, something to be broken at the earliest convenience. Korea has demonstrated the same tendency.......for different reasons.......psychopathic reasons.

You mentioned the lack of response by the President to North Korea......tell me Joe how would you "Deal" with North Korea's lunatic leader? On the one hand you call our military action against Iraq, unjust, but you seem to favor some sort of military action against an enemy who is capable of killing many hundreds of thousands of the 10,000,000 people who live in Seoul South Korea in the first few minutes of any war. If you have a plan, I'm certain we would be pleased to listen.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 04:41 pm
I have one question for those of you complaining that we didnt do anything about North Korea.

Would you rather we had gone into NK?
A yes or no answer will suffice.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 04:49 pm
I'm sure that all you want is a yes or a no, because that would be fodder for your typically simplistic rants.

I'd rather we hadn't gone to war at all. North Korea is simply the only justifiable example which meets the WoMD criterion. It is mentioned here and elsewhere only to point out how very likely it is that the Shrub and is Forty Thieves are lying through their collective teeth--once again . . .
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:01 pm
Setanta wrote:

...It is mentioned here and elsewhere only to point out how very likely it is that the Shrub and is Forty Thieves are lying through their collective teeth--once again . . .

And you expect anybody to believe that your historical interpretations aren't colored by the ideology behind that sort of statement?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 10:36 pm
rayban1 wrote:
Joe
Thanks for the new word or at least new to me...amanuensis....wow. Of course being an attorney you would be familiar with this word. Other than this you seem not to have said much of interest.

Well, I'm glad you got something out of it.

rayban1 wrote:
I'm surprised.....you normally do a fairly good job of dissecting. Of course we must observe the rule of law............WHERE IT CAN BE ENFORCED! You, as an attorney know how important ENFORCEMENT is to the rule of law but you must have enough common sense to know that where sovereign nations are concerned, enforcement is impossible.

The US obviously believes that international law can be enforced; otherwise, it would not have entered into any treaties or joined the world court or the UN.

rayban1 wrote:
Therefore for all PRACTICAL purposes your altruistic wishful thinking may as well be "pie in the sky". The UN, which is now controlled by rogue nations, will laugh at any real emphasis on the rule of law except when it serves their purposes such as any attempt to limit the power of the US. This is why we must never sign on to any such attempt to limit our effectiveness or to try any of our citizens in a world court. If we sign on.....we must abide by it.......rogue nations will never observe the rules.

If the definition of a "rogue nation" is a nation that does not recognize the binding nature of the international agreements into which it enters, then the US is most assuredly a rogue nation.

rayban1 wrote:
Good examples are North Korea and Iran.......Iran interprets any "deal" with infidels, something to be broken at the earliest convenience. Korea has demonstrated the same tendency.......for different reasons.......psychopathic reasons.

So what are the US's reasons?

rayban1 wrote:
You mentioned the lack of response by the President to North Korea......tell me Joe how would you "Deal" with North Korea's lunatic leader?

Engagement with Pyongyang, pressure on China, multilateral talks, encourage more contacts between the Koreas. Unfortunately, many options have been foreclosed by Bush's maladroit foreign policy.

rayban1 wrote:
On the one hand you call our military action against Iraq, unjust, but you seem to favor some sort of military action against an enemy who is capable of killing many hundreds of thousands of the 10,000,000 people who live in Seoul South Korea in the first few minutes of any war. If you have a plan, I'm certain we would be pleased to listen.

With the Iraq invasion, Bush proved to the world that the US would never take military action against a country that had nuclear weapons. The inevitable result was that nations such as Iran and North Korea would expend every effort to develop such weapons. It is no coincidence that Iran and North Korea ratcheted up their nuclear programs in the years since being identified as members of the "axis of evil."
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 11:09 pm
Joe wrote:

<Engagement with Pyongyang, pressure on China, multilateral talks, encourage more contacts between the Koreas. Unfortunately, many options have been foreclosed by Bush's maladroit foreign policy.>

Bush is currently engaged in everything you suggest except direct talks with the psycho and Madeline (Clinton) proved that merely amounts to giving them more time to gain the advantage. The blame for allowing NK to gain nuclear weapons can be placed squarely on the Clinton administration......not Bush.

Anything else in your grand plan?

You also wrote:

<Unfortunately, many options have been foreclosed by Bush's maladroit foreign policy.>

Can you produce any solid evidence of this allegation or is it just meaningless rhetoric?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 09:25 am
rayban1 wrote:
Anything else in your grand plan?

Nothing that I care to expand upon in a thread that is devoted to Iraq. If you want to open a thread on North Korea, I might be persuaded to post there.

rayban1 wrote:
You also wrote:

<Unfortunately, many options have been foreclosed by Bush's maladroit foreign policy.>

Can you produce any solid evidence of this allegation or is it just meaningless rhetoric?

That's an odd request coming from someone who, a few sentences before, wrote:
rayban1 wrote:
The blame for allowing NK to gain nuclear weapons can be placed squarely on the Clinton administration......not Bush.

0 Replies