Drug Firms Issue Memos on Michael Moore

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 06:30 am
Apparently, Michael Moore has found another cause to champion. The latter-day Ralph Nader wannabe is now targeting the health care industry.

Quote:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=361363

What do you think of that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,944 • Replies: 25
No top replies

squinney

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 07:45 am
I think it's a shame that the drug companies aren't above the board and honest so they wouldn't have to worry and warn about guys like Moore..
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 08:06 am
squinney- I hear ya, and you probably have a point. The problem is that Moore often indulges in "yellow journalism". I would respect a disinterested person who is looking to write a story about the problems of the medical industry in a straight forward, ethical reporting, kind of film.

I don't think that Moore operates that way, though. He has a definite agenda, and will slant anything that he finds to fit that agenda.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 08:21 am
Well, at least, these drug firms are doing a good job in advertising for that film.

Actually, I support strongly squinneys opinion.

If those firms really had nothing to hide, they certainly wouldn't worry so much.

I really wonder what a "desinterested" person could find.
And since such films/documentaries did a lot of good elsewhere, years back already - why shouldn't it work in the US for consumers as well?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 08:28 am
Walter- I have some very strong feelings about the US health care industry, most of it negative. So I would not mind if some of their dirty laundry saw the light of day. I think that the industry has a LOT to hide.

Saying that, I would prefer that a respected journalist, with a reputation for honesty and integrity, and fairness, expose the problems that are rife within the industry. I think that Michael Moore's byline would take away from the credibility of what is presented.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 08:30 am
Quote:
I don't think that Moore operates that way, though. He has a definite agenda, and will slant anything that he finds to fit that agenda.

I guess agendas are toxic only if they offend your causes. I dont see any of those promised law suits from 'Fahrenheit 911"'

I, for one, would like to see how our Federal Govt is saving us from pandemic by not allowing inferior, disease infested Canadian drugs. Cause we all know that the Canadians dont really care about the health of their people. I mean they only live a measly 6 years longer and that can easily be explained by America's major recreation , which is killing each other
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 08:46 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
squinney- I hear ya, and you probably have a point. The problem is that Moore often indulges in "yellow journalism". I would respect a disinterested person who is looking to write a story about the problems of the medical industry in a straight forward, ethical reporting, kind of film.

I think Moores position on many things is probably extreme I'll allow you that. However he sheds a tremendous amount of light on his subjects and brings them to the front of peoples minds in a way that the regular print and media news cannot accomplish...sensationalism in journalism is the only way to get anyones attention....hell the cable and regular broadcast news outlets sensationalize everything...Moore just takes it a step further. If we were a more analytical less ADD society the amount of hue and cry might not be as necessary and in fact, if we were paying attention to people like the scumbag criminals in the healthcare and pharmaceutical industry and holding them accountable for ethical behavior a Michael Moore would be out of business. We are nurturing him and his ilk, on the left or the right. Remember, the vampire can't just come in your house, you have to let him in of your own free will.....but once you do, purposely or by just not paying attention...he can do whatever the hell he pleases, and he will. Much easier to keep him out than get him out once you've opened your door.

In the long run, outing people, corporations, institutions and governments that are doing wrong is like battling the common cold...all we're doing is
treating the symptoms....until we find a cure for the disease....it will keep coming back in a new form. And it is looking more and more like WE are the disease....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 09:25 am
you must openly invite a vampire into your home so he can sell you cheap inferior Canadian drugs
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 09:26 am
which started as triple A God Bless American drugs before they were sold to the Canadians and underwent a horrible metamorphosis into the inferior crap they are today.....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 09:31 am
ghastly.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 09:35 am
yes indeed....
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 09:42 am
Phoenix and all, some historian once observed that the only REAL change, be it for better or for worse, is effected through the lunatic fringe and the wild-eyed fanatics. Frankly, I'm glad Moore has stirred things up.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:12 am
Oh, woe for the poor defenseless purveyors of Health and Goodness!
To be VICTIMIZED as they dispense their charity and GoodWill... it's just TOO MUCH!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:17 am
damn pill pimps.
We gottta tthink of an incentive for med makers to profit from good health rather than just selling pills.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:19 am
We need more journalists like Moore. The mainstream hacks are all afraid to offend their bosses.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:20 am
Howard Dean said on Bill Mahers show that the problem with our healthcare system is that it's a sickness based system rather than a wellness based system and I truly believe that accurately sums it up in a nutshell....

I also agree with many that there's no profit in keeping people well..only in selling them drugs on the repeat.....that doesn't just work for crack you know...keep 'em sick...keep 'em dependent....keep yourself rich....so it has always been.....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:39 am
I think the guy is a millionaire and should learn to dress himself.

Fat slob would probably be taken more seriously if he didn't look like he just finished chopping wood all day. What the hell is up with that?

But, uh, yea...drug companies definitely don't use the most ethical practices, maybe a Moore film would be good to expose them to the public. I bet a lot of people have no clue what these companies are doing.

(actually, when I was looking for outside sales jobs, even though everyone was talking about how great pharma/drug sales are, I wouldn't consider it, the way they "sell" is many times a joke).
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:40 am
aren't pharm salesman more order takers?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:47 am
Their biggest ttrick is borrowed from the old days in heroin sales. they give away lots of dime bags to the docttors who, for tthe most partt, are about as savvy on drug formulations as I am on the hobbies of the Pharaohs
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:57 am
farmerman wrote:
Their biggest ttrick is borrowed from the old days in heroin sales. they give away lots of dime bags to the docttors who, for tthe most partt, are about as savvy on drug formulations as I am on the hobbies of the Pharaohs

ahhh...the very sales strategy I use over at the middle school.....very results producing...
0 Replies