High Sodium Content Foods

New Haven

Thu 20 Feb, 2003 07:26 pm
Do these kids have goiters?

Good point about salt as a source of iodine. What are some natural sources of iodine?
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 20 Feb, 2003 07:45 pm
New Haven

Sounds like things are going that way. I'll see if I can find the article again & refresh my memory.

Seaweed?
0 Replies

New Haven

Thu 20 Feb, 2003 07:52 pm
For some reason I'm thinking cabbage. the Swedes in Sweden eat lots of cabbage and I thought that a few Swedes were having an adverse effect to the iodine.

( I'm not positive about this, but it's something I thought I heard about when I was in Sweden several years ago ).
0 Replies

New Haven

Fri 28 Feb, 2003 05:21 am
Raisins are a near perfect food...No fat and no sodium! Cool
0 Replies

drillersmum85

Thu 15 Feb, 2018 08:47 pm
@New Haven,
Fast forward to Feb 2018---- we have, on the supermarket shelves, salt reduced margarine and butter. There is even "no sugar" items like for cordial as an example, and fruit juice and soft drink. My query is.... why not "less salt" for meat pies for example. The great Aussie pie is beloved everywhere, as is the wonderful "snags", but they are SO salty. If we can have salt reduced marg/butter, why oh why can't we have a "less salt" choice of Four n Twenty or Sargent's meat pie (and sausages)? Just a thought.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Fri 16 Feb, 2018 03:46 pm
I had eliminated all salt from my diet. I went to the doctor, had my blood pressure measured and it was high. I couldn't understand it because I was walking about 2 miles a day on top of eliminating salt. But, I was making biscuits everyday with baking powder. Baking powder is sodium bicarbonate and sodium aluminum sulfate. So I eliminated that. I don't know if that reduced my blood pressure but it stopped my ankles from swelling.

I bought some liquid nutritional iodine at the health food store. It's a small bottle for about $5, but it will probably last for years because you only take one drop a day.

If you eliminate all table salt and think you're getting adequate iodine from the salt in processed food you're wrong. They don't use iodized salt because that adds a tiny addition to the price.
0 Replies