High Sodium Content Foods

Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:04 am
One method of controlling hypertension is by diet and life style modification. Relative to diet, the content of sodium must be closely monitored.

For this reason, I'm interested in constructing a list of various foods and their respective sodium contents.

I'll start off this thread with Ovaltine. I was suprised to find that each serving of Ovaltine contains 2400 mg of Sodium. Very high salt content!
Not good for patients on a salt restricted diet. Twisted Evil
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 8,940 • Replies: 25
Topic Closed
No top replies

jespah

Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:10 am
Many canned and kosher foods are high in salt, due to the preservation process used in canning and the koshering/preservation process used for kosher meats. If a canned food isn't being suspended in some sort of sauce that you want, one suggestion is to rinse the canned food several times before cooking (e. g. canned vegetables).
0 Replies

New Haven

Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:22 am
I remember a question on Abuzz, a long time ago, about how one could go about removing salt from Kosher chicken. The poster had a medical problem similar to congestive heart.
0 Replies

jespah

Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:45 am
Well, you can rinse the chicken inside and out several times before cooking and also make sure to discard all drippings (just make gravy from salt-free kosher bouillion and corn starch instead). That's not perfect but it would eliminate a lot of the salt.
0 Replies

New Haven

Fri 14 Feb, 2003 12:50 pm
"salt-free" kosher bouillion?

Does that come in small cubes? Do you know of a brand, by any chance
0 Replies

jespah

Sat 15 Feb, 2003 05:18 am
I'm not sure if Knorr makes this. Will have to check (I'm going to the market today; I'll take a look if I remember to do so).
0 Replies

steissd

Sat 15 Feb, 2003 05:55 am
Quote:

• One teaspoon of table salt = 2,324 mg. of sodium

• One cup of chicken noodle soup = 1,108 mg.

• One half cup pasta sauce = 660 mg.

• One half cup pork & beans = 420 mg.

• A 2.5 oz. serving of boxed macaroni and cheese = 560 mg.

• One 6 oz. slice of cold cut packaged ham = 760 mg.

• One ounce of corn flakes = 350 mg.

• One oz. grated Parmesan cheese = 528 mg.

People having cardiovascular, kidney or liver problems should restrict themselves to 1,000 mg of sodium per day or less.
0 Replies

New Haven

Sat 15 Feb, 2003 06:59 am
Stessid:

Where did the value of 1000 mg sodium/day come from?
0 Replies

New Haven

Sat 15 Feb, 2003 06:59 am
Jespah:
Thanks!
0 Replies

steissd

Sat 15 Feb, 2003 07:46 am
Oh, sorry, I have forgotten the URL of the site from where I have copied the quoted table of sodium contents. The site dealt with dietary restrictions for people having kidney, cardiovascular and chronic liver conditions.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Sat 15 Feb, 2003 08:12 am
Watch out for canned soup. I have before me a Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup that has 870mg. of salt. A Progresso Beef and Baked Potato soup sports 860 mg. of salt. I try to stay away from soup, but my husband loves it. Whenever I have Campbell's soup, I end up with edema in my legs!

Also, check out the salt content in frozen dinners, especially the ones that are supposed to be "diet". I took a look at some of the Lean Cuisine that I have in my freezer. The sodium ran from 510-690.
0 Replies

jespah

Sun 16 Feb, 2003 09:17 am
Looked at Knorr vegetarian vegetable bouillion cubes yesterday - 850 mg sodium per serving!
0 Replies

jjorge

Sun 16 Feb, 2003 09:49 am
The tsodium tsunami is even worse than you might think!

I have before me a can of Campbell's cream of chicken soup that lists the sodium content as 890mg. per cup (with water added)
but the can contains 2.5 servings. How many of you limit yourself to one 6 oz. cup?

If you merely split one can with someone (7.5 oz each) that is 1112.5 mg!

If you have a BOWL of it (let's call that 2 cups) you have ingested 1780 mgs. of sodium, and if you sometimes have a whole can that is 2225 mgs!
or about 94% of the Recomended daily allowance.
0 Replies

New Haven

Sun 16 Feb, 2003 11:12 am
I agree that the Diet Dinners are loaded with salt. Also the soups.

Phoenix:

Edema in the legs? Not good.
0 Replies

New Haven

Sun 16 Feb, 2003 12:08 pm
Low sodium: Diet ginger ale.

( I was surprised that the drink had any sodium in it!)bb
0 Replies

steissd

Mon 17 Feb, 2003 01:32 am
The problem is with the taste preferences of the Western people: low salt food tastes for us like hay.
0 Replies

New Haven

Mon 17 Feb, 2003 05:37 am
For health reasons you really do need a little salt in your diet. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

steissd

Wed 19 Feb, 2003 02:17 am
From the other side, sodium is a necessary ingredient of the system: ions of sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium are essential for nerve pulses generation, muscle contraction, glands' secretion, etc.
0 Replies

New Haven

Thu 20 Feb, 2003 06:46 pm
Good news...LifeSavers are sodium free( or close to it!)
0 Replies

msolga

Thu 20 Feb, 2003 06:56 pm
I recently read a newspaper article saying that many Australian children are now suffering from iodine deficiencies as a result of salt-reduced diets & overly-refined salt in their food. Apparently iodine tablets are now required to address the deficiency.
0 Replies