Help: I have no friends.....

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 10:17 am
Wow that's not bad Kiwiio I might try that some day.

What's OE?
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 04:01 pm
Overseas Experience...its when you leave home to work while you travel in other countries, honestly you meet so many
people and make so many friends and whats even better you have a free place to stay should you do your OE again. Very Happy
0 Replies

ameet

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 10:04 am
about making friends and how hard it is for me
hi,

i understand what so many ppl here are talking about.

all through my life i've never had that special connection with friends. at school, college, university....everyone formed groups but i couldn't.

i have no trouble meeting ppl, i have so many aquitances, but they never go further.

i live in a small city in china, and theres maybe 100 - 200 foreighners here, and only one or 2 bars/cafe where most ppl hang out. i know lots off ppl but not cloesly.

its just i can't form a connection that easy, and if i do, after a few months they run away.

i definetly think too much, i can't relax when i'm with others unless i'm drunk...so many insecurities..but how can i stop that. how can i just be relaxed and let a friendship grow.

also many ppl (usually) girlfriends say when they first saw me they thought i was standoffish, i can't understand y. how do i appear less so.

i feel so alone,and i hate eating dinner in a cafe on my own, i always feel ppl are looking at me and thinking i'm a loner. how can i stop feeling like that. i always worry what others think.

it makes me so sad. i love life, and going out, but i want friends to do it with.

i'm now starting my second year here, and there'll be a new batch of foreighners (every year new students and teachers), so theres oppurtunities, and right now i feel like crying.

ameet
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 08:35 pm
Hey AlmostBitter

( if this thread is still going!)

Friends are a lot of work! Laughing

I'm 26. I have a few friends, the rest are acquaintances etc.
Friends definetly come and go in cycles.

There was lots of good stuff here. I was interested too, 'cause sometimes I have trouble meeting new people. I can be an abrasive broad and that can sometimes be a problem.

The most important thing is to be yourself. A cliche, but true.
Don't waste time on people that don't appreciate you for who you are.
Make time for the ones you want to get closer to.
Ya gotta put yourself on the line - that's all there is to it.

Try something you would never normally do. By reaching out into unknown territory, you'll get the opportunity to meet people you wouldn't even think could become a good friend.

cheers, brother
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 04:09 pm
Re: about making friends and how hard it is for me
ameet wrote:
hi,

i understand what so many ppl here are talking about.

all through my life i've never had that special connection with friends. at school, college, university....everyone formed groups but i couldn't.

i have no trouble meeting ppl, i have so many aquitances, but they never go further.

i live in a small city in china, and theres maybe 100 - 200 foreighners here, and only one or 2 bars/cafe where most ppl hang out. i know lots off ppl but not cloesly.

its just i can't form a connection that easy, and if i do, after a few months they run away.

i definetly think too much, i can't relax when i'm with others unless i'm drunk...so many insecurities..but how can i stop that. how can i just be relaxed and let a friendship grow.

also many ppl (usually) girlfriends say when they first saw me they thought i was standoffish, i can't understand y. how do i appear less so.

i feel so alone,and i hate eating dinner in a cafe on my own, i always feel ppl are looking at me and thinking i'm a loner. how can i stop feeling like that. i always worry what others think.

it makes me so sad. i love life, and going out, but i want friends to do it with.

i'm now starting my second year here, and there'll be a new batch of foreighners (every year new students and teachers), so theres oppurtunities, and right now i feel like crying.

ameet

I'm similar to you in many ways "think too much", "insecure about myself", "loner" etc. however I put those in quotations because I don't really want to see myself that way even though I am, etc. Anyways to the point I'm not sure if this matters or not however I'm a guy and one of the reasons I find it tough for me to make friends is because I'm "shy" and whenever a conflict arises (especially now a days) even the slightest bit in the "relationship"/"friendship" I would "run away." As for advice...
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 04:15 pm
flushd wrote:
Hey AlmostBitter

( if this thread is still going!)

Friends are a lot of work! Laughing

I'm 26. I have a few friends, the rest are acquaintances etc.
Friends definetly come and go in cycles.

There was lots of good stuff here. I was interested too, 'cause sometimes I have trouble meeting new people. I can be an abrasive broad and that can sometimes be a problem.

The most important thing is to be yourself. A cliche, but true.
Don't waste time on people that don't appreciate you for who you are.
Make time for the ones you want to get closer to.
Ya gotta put yourself on the line - that's all there is to it.

Try something you would never normally do. By reaching out into unknown territory, you'll get the opportunity to meet people you wouldn't even think could become a good friend.

cheers, brother

As for advice yes very similar to what flushed said. Be fair warned though when you put yourself on the line it's a 50/50 chance whether you'll make/break a "friendship" or create a bad/good impression. As for me I've put myself on the line numerous of times and I've still had problems making friends.... until one day I finally found somebody who I can just communicate with without feeling "insecure" about myself because he doesn't look at me funny as if "I'm an idiot/weird" that's the type of friend I've been looking for my whole life and I've finally found one. All of this came after all my schooling years and now I'm into my 3rd year of post-secondary then I met him.

As for meeting people... yes if they can't accept who you are give up on them instantly it is not worth your energy/effort to seek out a person if they can't accept you. I had to learn through it the hard way... and I hope you find that "friend" (quotes used in a good way this time) some day.
0 Replies