Italian police use software to reconstruct Jesus' face

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 01:39 pm
Quote:
Italian police use software to reconstruct Jesus' face

Associated Press

Rome, December 23, 2004

Italian police investigators used forensic software to analyze the shroud of Turin and make a digital portrait of Jesus as he might have looked at age 12, a report said Thursday.

The portrait, printed in Corriere della Sera newspaper, shows a wavy-haired boy with large, dark eyes. The reconstruction was based on the shroud kept in the northern Italian city of Turin, which bears an image of Christ's face. Many believe it was his burial cloth.

To make the digital image, police used a program generally employed for "aging" photos of criminals who have been longtime fugitives from justice, the newspaper said.
In this case, they made the shroud's image look younger, showing how Jesus might have looked at age 12, when he went missing in Jerusalem and was later discovered speaking with religious teachers at a temple, according to the New Testament. Very little is known about Jesus at the time of that famous episode.

"We made a rigorous effort based on the shroud of Turin, but it's clear that the data at our disposal were limited," said police official Carlo Bui, quoted by Corriere. "Let's say we have made an excellent hypothesis."

Bui said police also used historical data and other ancient images to make the portrait, but he did not elaborate. His office did not return calls seeking comment.
Source: AP

Picture from Spiegel-online

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,419728,00.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,594 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:14 pm
The police are doing this? What's he suspected of?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 03:35 pm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 03:43 pm
Pic of that pomegranate

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40662000/jpg/_40662589_pome_body_ap.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 03:52 pm
Thanks, Walter. Wish I had the time to learn how to do the picture bit here. That face of Jesus was quite like the picture that my mom had. I think it was called Jesus in the temple.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 05:31 pm
Slow but sure aren't they?

Future headlines:

ITALIAN POLICE HOPEFUL FOR SUCCESSFUL PROSECUTION IN CEASAR STABBING CASE!!

ROMAN ARSON INVESTIGATION IN 2,000TH BIG YEAR! EMPEROR NERO STILL 'UNABLE TO ATTEND COURT'.

CARBINARI ISSUE 'LOITERING WITH INTENT' WARNINGS TO ENTIRE HUNNISH ARMY!
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 05:34 pm
Jesus looks a little fruity to me.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 05:37 pm
that's a good looking boy...good thing for him there weren't any catholic priests around yet....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 05:40 pm
That boy don't look like no Jew to me . . . funny how them You're-a-Peein's is always coming up with a Messiah who looks distinctly Aryan . . .
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 05:41 pm
I thought that to..but kept silent....you know me...never one to offend or provoke...
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 06:09 pm
I think he looks a bit feminine.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 06:28 pm
With that nose 'he' looks like Celine Dion.
0 Replies