kerik takes the low road out of town

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:00 am
Which is a typical Republican ploy - attack the messenger, not the message.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:01 am
Lash
Temper, temper. Rudy would never win in a republican primary against a "God" fearing born again Christian. Remember the republicans have become the party of God and all that's moral. With one exception they have some difficulty with the truth.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:02 am
The Moral Minority doesn't run the GOP. And, what are they gonna do--vote ..Democrat? (guffaw)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:05 am
Did it seem that I lost my temper? Weird. I wasn't even miffed.

Just telling it like it is, ya know. I think the Dems can save their breath, trying to object to a Republican candidate's morality. Clinton changed (**** on) the playing field.

<smiles>
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:07 am
Lash
Rudy would have to win in the primaries. He would have as much chance of winning as a snowballs survival in hell. .
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:08 am
Everybody knows it will be Jeb in 2008.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:10 am
I guess we disagree. I can easily see the GOP getting behind Rudy.

I don't think abortion continues to be the divider it once was. Nobody with any sense believes R v W should be overturned. If you can't or shouldn't overturn it, abortion is now not blacks and white--but shades of grey. Republicans are electing Arnolds and Rudys. Things are a changin.

<smiles>
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:12 am
Lash
And yes the moral majority or whatever label they go by is a very large and influential constituency in the republican party. They would never support Godless Rudy.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 01:58 pm
As an independent voter, with no partisan axe to grind, I think that choosing Guiliani to run in 2008 would be one of the smartest things the GOP could do. After the Bush gang, they need a moderate, they need to mend fences and start to appeal to independents like me again. Dubya has divided the country in a way it hasn't been split since the days of Abe Lincoln/Jeff Davis and the great Secession debate. Running somebody like Jeb Bush or any other close Bush ally would be an open invitation to the Dems to start manning the barricades. Rudy, on the other hand, can utilize the 9/11 thing quite legitimately (unlike Bush). And if the Dems can't come up with anyone better than what they've been offering lately, the GOP stays in power. Rudy could well be da man.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 08:24 pm
Giuliani doesn't stand a chance against the Bush thugs:

Quote:
Conservatives continue to feast on Rudy Giuliani's misery.

As Rudy begins to distance himself from the ethically challenged, briefly nominated Homeland Security chief wanna-be Bernard Kerik, some right-wing hardliners claim White House strategist Karl Rove devised the Kerik debacle to hurt Giuliani's presidential chances in '08.

"Rove used Rudy and Kerik to tout Bush as the anti-terrorism candidate," says one Republican party player. "But Rudy is too socially liberal for the true-believers. So they let him shoot himself in the foot. Rove knew about Kerik's baggage - and that he could never be confirmed. But he went along with the nomination, betting that the heat would come down on Rudy, which it has." ...

While some think Giuliani could still be a contender in four years, others believe Rove and Bush have one man in mind for the Oval Office: brother Jeb Bush.

"They're saying, 'We own the party now,'" says one source, "and we're not going to give it away.

The plot against Rudy
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 03:31 pm
You get your news from gossip columns?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 03:41 pm
Lash
You latest avatar seem to be missing the number. :wink:
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 03:43 pm
Ya. The mins don't like me nearly as well.

I'll be whorey again before you know it. :wink:
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 11:55 pm
For what it is worth or not worth:

http://www.newsday.com/news/columnists/ny-vppin144083210dec14,0,2522589.column?coll=ny-news-columnists

JUDGMENT QUESTIONED

Kerik flap hurts a Giuliani '08 bid
If the former mayor wants to rise on the national stage, he'll need to overcome new character issues
James P. Pinkerton

December 14, 2004

OK, so Bernard Kerik is history. But how about a man who is thought to have a future - a presidential future - Rudy Giuliani?

Giuliani, "America's mayor," has been leading in 2008 opinion polls, both for the Republican nomination and for the general election. But the Kerik implosion has turned into a character issue for Giuliani. After all, it was Rudy who raised Bernie from bodyguard to police commissioner, and then tried to install him as a cabinet secretary.

What additional light do those actions shed on Giuliani's professional life? And what does it say about the potential president's judgment in people-picking?

Some conservative pundits saw no damage from the revelations about Kerik's "nannygate" problem and the 1998 arrest warrant filed against him. John Podhoretz, writing in the New York Post, asserts that for all the difficulties Giuliani will face on his hoped-for path to the White House, "the Kerik fiasco isn't even a bump on the road." But perhaps Podhoretz, whose column appeared on Sunday, wrote too soon.

That same day, the Daily News printed a messy litany of allegations. Kerik had been "deeply entangled with a New Jersey construction company long under fire for its alleged mob ties." In addition, Kerik "accepted thousands of dollars in cash and gifts without making proper public disclosures," including, for example, a $2,000 bejeweled police badge from Tiffany. Inquiring minds want to know - did Kerik pay income taxes on any freebies?

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apwashington_story.asp?category=1152&slug=Kerik%20Giuliani

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER

Wednesday, December 22, 2004 · Last updated 1:36 p.m. PT

Kerik resigns from Giuliani Partners

By SAM DOLNIK
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

NEW YORK -- Former police commissioner and U.S. homeland security nominee Bernard Kerik said Wednesday he will leave Giuliani Partners, former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani's consulting firm.

At a news conference in Manhattan, Kerik said he had apologized to Giuliani for being a distraction because of his messy withdrawal as a candidate to head the Department of Homeland Security.

The former New York corrections commissioner said he told Giuliani his resignation would be effective immediately. He said he would seek other unspecified business opportunities.

He did not take questions from reporters.

Kerik, 49, was tapped by President Bush earlier this month to head the Department of Homeland Security. He abruptly withdrew his name Dec. 10 after revealing that he had not paid all required taxes for a family nanny-housekeeper and that the woman may have been in the country illegally.

A rash of other scandals soon followed, including allegations that he had connections with people suspected of doing business with the mob and accusations that he had simultaneous extramarital affairs with two women.

Recently, the city Department of Investigation said it had been reviewing Kerik's tenure as police commissioner. According to DOI findings, Kerik submitted a background form when he became commissioner of the Department of Correction in 1998 but did not fill one out when he was appointed police commissioner two years later.

For good measure, on Monday the News reported that Kerik had been cheating on his wife with two other women. And don't be surprised if a lot more sewage comes spilling out. As it does, it will spatter Giuliani further. People will recall, for example, that in December 2001, Giuliani renamed the Manhattan Detention Complex as the Bernard B. Kerik Complex.

The close association continued into the private sector. Giuliani and Kerik went into profitable business together until, according to The Washington Post, Giuliani made an "impassioned personal plea" to the White House to secure for Kerik the Homeland Security post. After Bush picked Kerik, Giuliani then cheer-led for his protégé, praising him as "smart ... effective and sophisticated." Well, if Kerik is so smart, how did he let himself get into this pickle?

OK, we all make mistakes. The real test is whether we learn from them. Yet now, in the wake of Kerik's withdrawal from Washington, Newsday reports that the ex-top-cop will be returning to his job at Giuliani Partners, including, one supposes, their joint side-gig, Giuliani-Kerik LLC. Does that suggest that maybe Giuliani has a blind spot when it comes to Kerik? And if so, what else is Rudy blind about?

A look at the Giuliani Partners Web site reveals some buzz words that are said to be guiding the company. The first of these words is "integrity." Underneath we read that "People of integrity are not inflexible, but their decisions are made in the context of strongly held values. Principled leaders must not only set a moral compass, but also effectively communicate a code of conduct to those they lead."

So it's fair to ask: How's Giuliani doing on that score? Does Kerik fit Giuliani's vision of integrity, not to mention effective homeland security, including the enforcement of our immigration laws?

One can be sure that reporters - and opposition researchers working for rival '08 Republicans - are going to be looking more closely at the Kerik Kan of Worms. Giuliani Partners' clients include such eye-catching outfits as the National Thoroughbred Racing Association and Entergy Nuclear Northeast.

Giuliani was a great mayor. No seamy revelations will undo his success in reducing crime or restoring morale after 9/11. But, if Giuliani wants to rise higher in public life, he will have to raise the standards he imposes on his colleagues - and improve his own judgment about what will play on the national stage.

James P. Pinkerton's e-mail address is [email protected].
Copyright © 2004, Newsday, Inc.

[All in all, the guy was newswothy as Bush had only just picked for homeland security and then all those things came to light. ]
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 05:18 am
Lash wrote:
You get your news from gossip columns?

Assuming that was directed at me, I'll regard it as simply an uninformed, unintelligent, ignorant comment.

Discounting Jeb (which is easy to do, especially in this post-Christmas shopping period) Guiliani stands a snowball's chance if McCain runs. The sad fact for sensible, moderate Republicans is that their poster boy Rudy was used like a dishrag by Karl Ro--err, Bush's campaign, and now that his usefulness has ended, he's been discarded. There is no place in the current permutation of the GOP for a person with Guiliani's positions.

Besides, Hillary already punked that chump once. Cool
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 12:21 pm
PDiddie's remark--
Assuming that was directed at me, I'll regard it as simply an uninformed, unintelligent, ignorant comment.
----------
Do what ever you have to do to try to avoid the fact that you get your news from gossip columns. I must admit I am uninformed about what some gossip monger tries to pass off for news. The next bit of hard-hitting news in that column--for the other ignorant among us-- Jennifer Anniston wasn't wearing her wedding ring at LAX!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 08:51 pm
Lash wrote:
Do what ever you have to do to try to avoid the fact that you get your news from gossip columns. I must admit I am uninformed about what some gossip monger tries to pass off for news. The next bit of hard-hitting news in that column--for the other ignorant among us-- Jennifer Anniston wasn't wearing her wedding ring at LAX!

That's two posts in a row you can't address the topic.

Did Santa blow off your house this year?
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 11:24 pm
It still blows my mind that a guy who evades taxes, was ordered to pay a conflict-of-interest fine for using three police officers to do research about his mother for his book, having an affair with that publisher of said book, having an overlapping affair with a city correction officer and book publisher, hiring an illegal alien, and a windfall from exercising stock options in a stun gun company that does business with the department. (He earned $6.2 million from the options received from Taser International) becomes the Police Commissioner. The Police Commissioner folks.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 07:28 am
RfromP
True, It also blows my mind that an addled brained idiot can become president of the US and be reelected to a second term. However, we must remember this is America the land of opportunity. Where money talks and bullshyt walks. And politicians can always be bought for the right price.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 11:14 am
Au1929,
It just really bothers me that there are good and decent people out there who can't get a job shoveling **** and this guy who seems to break the law as a matter of routine is of all things the Police Commissioner. And not just any Police Commissioner, New York City Police Commissioner.

As for Bush, that's just downright scary. He's so clearly going out of his way to make sure the rich get richer and while screwing the rest of the country and no one seems to see it. Not to mention he's an outright liar and quite the dolt as you said.

This is the land of opportunity where practically anyone can become anything but it's a shame that the ones who attain these positions are exactly the ones who shouldn't have them.
0 Replies