kerik takes the low road out of town

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 09:46 pm
So two weeks ago we have Kerik up and ready to take over the immense task of leading Homeland Defence, in walks his past so he turns to "spending more time with his family" and oh yeah "clearing my good name" so he withdraws from the Bush nomination and today resigns from the Giuliani Corp. The man has less integrity than Spiro Agnew. But then, it's not easy for a politico to fess up with honesty.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,671 • Replies: 62
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 10:15 pm
At least he spared us the gruelling fight we usually have in these cases.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 11:08 pm
Have you people sen the latest nut on the European forum? We've got some american lecturing us about how our countries aren't democracies, and how we do not have freedom of speech. Not to mention all the evil muslims that are going to take over.

American nut
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 12:03 am
No I haven't seen it. However it is a fact that Europeans aren't any more well regarded by Americans than are Americans by our former European allies. In the long run Europe is far more likely to be the loser in this unhappy situation than the United States - notwithstanding Chirac's visins of glory, leading a European coalition that extends from the highlands of Scotlamd to the plains of Ukraine. THe union won't hold, and the depopulating countries that make it up haven't the will to survive in the face of real challenge.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 12:08 am
georgeob1 wrote:
No I haven't seen it. However it is a fact that Europeans aren't any more well regarded by Americans than are Americans by our former European allies. In the long run Europe is far more likely to be the loser in this unhappy situation than the United States - notwithstanding Chirac's visins of glory, leading a European coalition that extends from the highlands of Scotlamd to the plains of Ukraine. THe union won't hold, and the depopulating countries that make it up haven't the will to survive in the face of real challenge.

Why do you think the union will break apart? and what would european nations do if not survive?

I wasn't generalising about americans by the way, we've got nuts here in europe too.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 06:08 am
dys-Hey, the guy was caught with his pants down. What would you have wanted him to do??
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:26 am
It's never enough for the left wing rags like the NY Times and Daily News to just report the facts.

In their lame attempt to "get Rudy", they had to destroy another Great American who made a mistake in accepting the nomination. There was ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for these scum running rags and their legion of liberals to destroy Mr. Kerik.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:31 am
woiyo- I wouldn't necessarily blame the "left wing rags". I think that Kerik was very stupid to even consider taking the job. He is not a naif. He KNOWS that he had some serious problems in his background, and that the papers would pounce on them.

The fact that the papers seem to have developed a "Jerry Springer mentality" is a subject for another discussion! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:32 am
Re: kerik takes the low road out of town
dyslexia wrote:
So two weeks ago we have Kerik up and ready to take over the immense task of leading Homeland Defence, in walks his past so he turns to "spending more time with his family" and oh yeah "clearing my good name" so he withdraws from the Bush nomination and today resigns from the Giuliani Corp. The man has less integrity than Spiro Agnew. But then, it's not easy for a politico to fess up with honesty.

Obviously, you know little about integrity.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:32 am
http://www.whitehouse.org/news/2004/121304.asp
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:41 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
woiyo- I wouldn't necessarily blame the "left wing rags". I think that Kerik was very stupid to even consider taking the job. He is not a naif. He KNOWS that he had some serious problems in his background, and that the papers would pounce on them.

The fact that the papers seem to have developed a "Jerry Springer mentality" is a subject for another discussion! Evil or Very Mad

I agree and stated that Kerik made a terrible error in judgement.

That does not excuse the assasination by the media.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:48 am
Quote:
That does not excuse the assasination by the media.

Absolutely not. But the fact remains that even our mainstream newspapers are indulging in yellow journalism. That is why I mentioned Jerry Springer. Apprently, gossip, sensationalism and exaggeration is desired by the public, or the papers would not stoop so low.

If we don't like the manner with which our newspapers carry the news (notice, I did not say, "report") we need to write angry letters to the editors, and make a lot of noise. As long as people accept the way a newspaper presents the news, and the circulation of a paper is up, there is no reason for the papers to change their ways.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:06 am
I do not necesserilly agree. I feel the NY Daily News and to an extent the NY Times used the Kerik situation as a means to "get Rudy".

Just look at the 3 NY papers presentation of this event.

NY Post - Just the Facts
http://nypost.com/news/regionalnews/37060.htm

Daily Snooze - FRONT PAGE ??

http://nydailynews.com/

NY Times - Front page (below the fold) with a "blow by blow" recap with editorial commentary.
http://nytimes.com/2004/12/23/nyregion/23kerik.html

The professional approach by the POST may be surprising to some, but most understand the bias of the Times and the Daily News.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:24 am
woiyo- I see what you mean. I had not read the New York Times article before. Apparently, there was a much greater focus on Giuliani in this particular article. Wonder why? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:27 am
The thing that immediately comes to mind is that Giuliani became 'Mayor of the USA' after 09/11/01, and some people think he has a shot in 2008. So, best to kick him while he's up?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:36 am
Rudy was washed up as a politition just prior to 911. Now he's a hero to many. I don't see any halo hovering above his head.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:44 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Rudy was washed up as a politition just prior to 911. Now he's a hero to many. I don't see any halo hovering above his head.

edgarblythe- From where I stand, it does not look like Rudy was washed up at all prior to 9/11. He has been credited with cleaning up Manhattan, and making it appreciably safer. What other modern NY mayor can make that statement. I moved to Florida when Giuliani first became mayor, and I return to NY once a year. The difference is amazing! Places where I would not dare go before, I traverse in in security and safety.

Quote:
As Mayor, Rudy Giuliani has returned accountability to City government and improved the quality of life for all New Yorkers. Under his leadership, overall crime is down 57%, murder has been reduced 65%, and New York City - once infamous around the world for its dangerous streets - has been recognized by the F.B.I. as the safest large city in America for the past five years.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/rwg/html/bio.html
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:50 am
The thing with Rudy is-- he did a brilliant job cleaning up NY--and would never have gotten the credit he deserved for doing that, except for 911. Because he showed critical decision making skills in a crisis--and cared enough to attend a daunting number of funerals and got to personally know a multitude of NY citizens due to their losses--no one could reasonably deny he was a very gifted administrator, and that he genuinely loved NY and her denizens.

Being a Republican means you get shitty press in normal situations; no matter what the truth is.

The big pre-911 Rudy press was that he was finally wiping that shrewish psycho wife of his off his shoes. But, HE was made to look like the villain. Always with the double standard...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 09:04 am
Since when is reporting the facts as they are yellow journalism? Kerik it would seem is either very naive or very stupid to believe he could get away with hiding from his checkered past. As for Rudy what was so glorious about his actions on 9/11? He was the mayor and did what any should be expected to do when faced with that situation. Again what did he do that was so extraordinary? Anyone?
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 09:11 am
au1929 wrote:
Since when is reporting the facts as they are yellow journalism? Kerik it would seem is either very naive or very stupid to believe he could get away with hiding from his checkered past. As for Rudy what was so glorious about his actions on 9/11? He was the mayor and did what any should be expected to do when faced with that situation. Again what did he do that was so extraordinary? Anyone?

I believe it was the felt need by many Americans that caused them to project onto Rudy the role of a comforting father figure. That is not something that can be quantified. It's one of those things where, "you had to be there" ... and, even if you were, au1929, it doesn't mean that you felt it.
0 Replies