Im going to share my familys secret lvovian Nut roll recipe

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 04:01 pm
my cousin and I are the caretakers of this recipe, She feels it must be guarded and only brought out on the holiday to make and serve to special guests. me, Im not so sure. i think a recipe should have a DNA that records its travels around the world and maybe back again. if anyone iis interested , pleaase say "yes , Im interested, and i shall post it for your just in time holidaay baking. Its a real crowd pleaser.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,456 • Replies: 55
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 04:08 pm
INTERESTED!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 04:09 pm
I have my loaf pan out, and at the ready! Very Happy
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 04:35 pm
Honestly, an Ivovian Nut Roll sounds like some sort of Eastern European sexual position.........in which case I would be interested in hearing more....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 04:38 pm
Nah...........more like a Venusian Olympic event!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 04:50 pm
Salivating, waiting...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:16 pm
bpb, that is the kievian tea bag of which youve thought ,
here is the nut roll recipe

The ROLL

cream together
1.5 lb butter, warmed but not runny
3 eggs
6to 7 c flour(a plain bleached is best, whole wheat doesnt do it)
3/4 pt sweet creaM
YEAST
DASH SALT
cream the butter and flour and slowly add the sweet cream till the mix comes away from the bowl
Oh you should have added the yeast in a shot glass of warm sugar water and mix this up aand add the yeast water to the rest and mix and let rise about an hour then punch down and refrigerate over night.
----------------------
The filling
This is nuts, we like english walnuts and pecans for our taste . Ive had pistachios but its actually too rich for me and opening all those pisttachios is not my idea of a night out at Home Depot

2C sugar (taste is the judge more or less)
2egg whites slighhtly beaaten
2lb shelled nuts more or less
1/2 lb butter
1/4 c milk 1/2 tsp of super strong vanilla (we like Pennzys double strengtth)

The nuts must be mushed up so they are like a crunchy but not quite a nut butter. a food processor , carefully pulsed works, if you arent so inclined , put the nuts in a plastic bag and beat the crap out them, then mix all the ingredientts and let in fridge overnight aalso

_______________NEXT DAY_________________

set oven to 350 and dont screw with it. it needs to be an honest sustainable temp , so I dont want any of this "Ill turn it on 5 min before ****"

TAake your baking surface, we use a chopping board island its fairly big and forgiving and you dont shoot sugar all over the place. COver this witth sugar (fine sugar but not powder)

Roll out a glop of nutroll dough so its aabout as big as an 8" pizza and thinnnn. not like phyllo but maybe an 1/8" tthick. Then slop on the filling generously so its about 1/2 from the edges and roll up tthe whole thing in tthe mess of sugar. wet the edges and tighten the ends and sides cause the filling will want to ooze out while baking. Do your best, maybe cav has some ideas about containment but it smells great on the pan

Load about 4 or 5 on a cookie pan . leave about an inch or more between rolls cuz they gonna swell .

Bake em at 350 for 30 to 35 min depending on your preference in brownness.
DO NOT EAT WHILE THEY ARE HOT--think molten lava in your mouth. these are best served cool but not cold . When you cut tthem in cross section , tthhey should have a number of tree ring like laayers , I try to shoott for at least 5. We wrap in foil and keep in a big bread saver. They are like potato chips. WIth company, theyre usually gone in a few days

Some people substitutre marmelaades and peach or apricot preserves instead of nuts. To that I must say that Theyre just a bunch of pussies

My wife has taken to putting sesame seeds on top, they add a little zip with this as a coffee roll .

Try to avoid adding cinnamon because you will just have a Cinabun and , while Ive nothing against Cinabuns ( I only travel highways that have Cinabun road stops) the fine taste of baked nuts is special in itself

Since cooking is about the only joy I get in the Christmas holiday , my lovely wife lets me do it so I dont depress everyone else. AND, truthfully, its an equivalent to woodworking except you get to eat what youve built and in woodworking you dont .

SO Merry Christmas and by next Monday, Ill be my normal sweet self
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:18 pm
farmerman wrote:
bpb, that the kievian tea bag of which youve thought ,
ere is tte nut roll recipe

The ROLL

cream together
1.5 lb butter, warmed but not runny
3 eggs
6tto 7 c flour(a plain bleached is best, whole weat doesnt do it)
3/4 pt sweet creaM
YEAST
DASH SALT
creaam the butter aand flour and slowly add thhe sweet creaam till the mix comes away from the bowl
Oh you should haaave added the yeast in a shot glaass of warm sugar water and mix this up and let rise about an hour then punch down and refrigeraaate over night.
----------------------
The filling
Thhis is nuts, we like english walnuts and pecans for our taste . Ive had pistachios but its actually too rich for me and opening all those pisttachios is not my idea of a night out at Home Depot

2C sugaar (taste is the judge more or less)
2egg whites slighhtly beaaten
2lb shelled nuts more or less
1/2 lb butter
1/4 c milk 1/2 tsp of super strong vanilla 9we like Pennzys double strengtth)

TThe nuts must be mushed up so thhey are like a crunchy but not quite a nut butter then mix all the ingredientts and let in fridge overnight aalso

_______________NEXT DAY_________________

set oven to 350 and dont screw with it. i needs to be an honest sustainable temp , so I dont want any of this "turn on 5 min before"

TAake your baking surfaace, we use a chopping boaard island. COver this witth sugar (fine sugaar but not powder)

Roll out a glop of nutroll dough so its aabout as big as an 8" pizza and thinnnn. not like pyllo but maybe an 1/8" slop on the filling so its about 1/2 from the edges and roll up tthe whole thing in tthe mess of sugar. wet te edges and tighten thhe ends and sides cause the filling will want to ooze out while baking. Do your best, maybe cav has some ideas about containment but it smells great on thhe pan

Load about 4 or 5 on a cookie pan . leaave aabout an inch or more between rolls cuz they gonna swell

Bake em at 350 for 30 to 35 min depending on your preference in brownness.
DO NOT EAT WHILE THEY ARE HOT--think molten lava in your mouth. these are best served cool but not cold . We wraap in foil and keep in a big breaad saaver. Thhey aare like potato chips.

Some people substitutre marmelaades and peach or apricot preserves insteaad of nuts.Theyre just a bunch of pussies

My wife has taaken to putting sesame seeds on top, they add a little zip with tthis as a coffee roll .

Try to avoid adding cinnamon because you will just have a Cinabun and , while Ive nothing against Cinabuns ( I only travel highways that have Cinabun road stops) the fine taste of baked nuts is special in itself

Since cooking is about the only joy I get in the Christmas holiday , my lovely wife lets me do it so I dont depress everyone else. AND, truthfully, its an equivalent to woodworking except you get to eat what youve built and in woodworking you dont .

SO Merry Christmas and by next Monday, Ill be in good umor and start thhinking SPRING

is the kevian tea bag anything like the Warsaw hot plate?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:28 pm
can you describe a Cleveland steamer without getting kicked off again?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:31 pm
farmerman wrote:
can you describe a Cleveland steamer without getting kicked off again?

probably not.... Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:36 pm
How much yeast???? Confused
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:38 pm
a pack in a shott of warm sugar water should be enough. does more yeast make it rise faster? or do you just end up witth wine?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:40 pm
Don't know, but 'cause I tend to overdo, I just wanted to make sure!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:46 pm
gonna try it? excellent. Now remember to maake the stuff one night aand refrig and put it together the nextt night . I dont know why, but it makes the entire nutroll taaste better, perhaps its a melding of flavors in the filling .
I hope you like em, . I had a bunch of people on abuzz send me recipes for sopaipillas one year and I make the dough for them very similar to this, exceptt for sopaipillas I deep fry them like funnel cakes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:54 pm
Sounds wonderful. Knowing me, I will probably end up with sugar all over the floor! Embarrassed
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 06:01 pm
The recipe sounds good and fattening farmerman....yum yum :wink:
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 06:23 pm
no, when you cut aa sliice, the calories leak out and you can enjoy guilt free. OR, if youre botthered, only cut hhalf a slice youll have half the calories, then you can eat twice as much
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 06:24 pm
mmmm, nut roll.....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 08:01 pm
whetres msolga, shes a lvovian
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 08:22 pm
Oh yummy. Thanks for the secret recipe farmerman :-D