Im going to share my familys secret lvovian Nut roll recipe

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 08:24 pm
pecans, tthhats whats the best, english walnuts second, filberts third. Ive had it witth peanuts blaaaghhh. it was like a pbj sammich
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 01:45 am
farmerman wrote:
whetres msolga, shes a lvovian

Here I am! You need support, brother farmerman?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 01:51 am
.... & are you certain it's wise to pass on the secret family nut roll recipe to others, farmerman?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 03:19 am
WELL, i MUST SHARE recipes that have given us pleasure. WHenever they try this they will thing well of tthe cuisine of Ukraine.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 11:13 pm
I know what I'll be making for Christmas. Thanks for the timely recipe farmerman.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 11:29 pm
Yes, sublime, it was very generous of farmerman to share his secret family recipe. Very Happy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:13 pm
naah, ngenerous, its a duty to not let certain recipes be lost.
TThink of all the histtoric foodstuffs that we have no idea how to prepare anymore.

Turducken has only been reintroduced as a novelty
I have no idea what the hell is syllabub
brunswick stew is being homogenized into some productt that Dupont coul make and sell.

wassaail, what the hells wassail?

im showing my ignoraance but , IGAF.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:18 pm
You have a point, farmerman. I haven't a clue about any of those. Confused
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:05 pm
But, I have heard of all those...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:18 pm
So, you're saying something here are you, osso? Evil or Very Mad Wanna fight? :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:56 pm
Eh, I am claiming to be part of the vestigial memory bankers, just, you know, because I read and have heard of this stuff.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 09:00 pm
Very Happy Admirable!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:58 am
OK- I bit the bullet, and made the nut roll. It is now cooling in its pan, and smells wonderful. I had a couple of problems, though. I don't have a big stand mixer, and, too late, I realized that my little hand mixer would not do the job. (I kinda figured it out, when the mixer started to get hot! Laughing )

Anyhow, it was not mixed enough, so I tried to figure out what to do. I ended up doing it the old fashioned way, kneading the dough by hand. It did not really rise much, so after about an hour, I kneaded it some more.

This morning I started to put it together. The dough would not roll, but stuck to the rolling pin. OK, so I improvised. I patted it out, and that worked. My sense of size and proportion is not wonderful, and I ended up making only three rolls. I still have enough dough for another two rolls, but ran out of filling. The extra dough is now in the freezer, awaiting some brilliant idea of mine about what to do with it.

I did figure out something right, though. I have a rectangular plastic serving tray with a two inch lip around it that I got at the Dollar store. I used that tray to pat out the dough. I put the sugar in the middle of the tray, smoothed it out, and used the lip to even out the sugar. Worked beautifully, and I did not spill a bit.

Farmerman, you were right about the rolls swelling. They are HUGE. I think that I will have enough nut roll to last me into the summer. I will let you know when the lava cools, and I take my first taste, as to whether it came out ok.

BTW, I would suggest that anyone who is on a diet, should not even attempt this recipe. Another thing. By this post, I think that you can understand why I am seldom found on the Food & Drink Forum........................aw, what the hell. I DO have other talents! Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:17 am
I'm gonna try this in my down time next month. Sounds great. I don't have much advice on sealing the filling beyond just pinching the ends closed, but who cares anyway? I would just suggest lining the tray with parchment for easier clean up.

Phoenix, two things...for rising, you could have probably used more yeast, or let it sit longer. Also, if the dough is sticking to the rolling pin, you can just sprinkle a little flour on it, and continue rolling. It sounds like its a pretty soft dough. Soft doughs do expand more than firm doughs, which would explain the size.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:22 am
Sounds yummy. I don't have a big mixer either, but it's on my things to get list and by the sound of Phoenix's ordeal, I think I'll wait until I have one, lol. Those things are so damn expensive!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:26 am
Quote:
for rising, you could have probably used more yeast, or let it sit longer

Cav- I sorta figured that out, but it was too late. Since all the recipe said was, "yeast", I assumed that it meant one envelope.

I just took a taste. It is delicious, but extremely sweet. I think that it is the kind of thing that you need to eat in very small pieces, lest you go into sugar shock.

Can you freeze this roll?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:33 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
for rising, you could have probably used more yeast, or let it sit longer

Cav- I sorta figured that out, but it was too late. Since all the recipe said was, "yeast", I assumed that it meant one envelope.

I just took a taste. It is delicious, but extremely sweet. I think that it is the kind of thing that you need to eat in very small pieces, lest you go into sugar shock.

Can you freeze this roll?

I'm guessing it would freeze well. I hope I didn't come off as smarmy, that wasn't my intent. It's just that on reading the recipe, it seemed to require more than one package of yeast for the size of the dough. Two packets would probably do it. farmerman did say that you can use the sugar to your taste. You could probably cut the amount by half.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:36 am
Quote:
I hope I didn't come off as smarmy, that wasn't my intent.

Cav- Smarmy??? I thought that you were being quite helpful. I have no illusions about my cooking abilities, and every bit of information is greatly appreciated! Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:41 am
Ahh, cool. I work in a service industry. Methinks I acquiesce too much. :wink:
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:43 am
pHOENIX-you get a big hug for trying it out. I hope its not too rich and sweet for your taste. my mom used to use english walnuts because their flavor is stronger aand not as sweet as pecans but we like pecans.
We made 32 of thhe things and gave mot of em away. We kept some and they didnt make it past Sunday.

I know my mom would freeze them baked and then heat em up in the oven, not a nuke . She never froze them for long though.

If you do it again, try to roll the dough as thin as you can and, if you can move thhe unbaked roll withhout tteaaring youll be happier. i try to show a disttinct 3 roll circles on thhe inside when you cut the roll. My mom could get 4 but she could make her dough like a phyllo dough, not me..

They go real fast.

YOU are right I didnt mention yeast amounts. I use 2 paacks in warm sugar water for every batch. I made 4 batches so I guess I used 8 packs. Im not sure thhat thhat wsnt too much but the dough didnt taste yeasty (I hate that )

Have a happy new year. were having pork and saurkraut tomorrow , its traditional, its garbage, I hate it, but I cant do anything that doesnt involve a divorce
0 Replies