How to Write a good essay?

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 01:49 pm
I am preparing to take an English language proficiency test. And as known, this kind of tests aims at examining the four basic language skills which are listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Indeed I face a true difficulty in learning the last one. This because I am unable to find a systematic way to be able to write a good essay within a limited period of time, especially when the subject required to write about is not a familiar one.
Fortunately, I have eventually realized that the best way and the most successful for me is to read essays written by professionals. What I am looking for is a comprehensive book that contains a collections of essays about most common topics.
Could you please provide me with an advice?

jespah

Mon 18 Sep, 2017 03:59 pm
@iamtooconfused,
I can tell you exactly how to manage your time in a timed essay situation because I learned this in school.
  • Divide your time into fourths. That is, if you have an hour, it's four sections of time, 15 minutes each. If you have 40 minutes, then those four sections are only 10 minutes long, etc.
  • For the first quarter of the time, plan the essay. Write scratch notes. How you'll start, what your conclusion will be, how you'll support it, and any counter arguments you will need to refute.
  • For the second quarter, write the introduction and your first supporting argument. If your have the time, write your second supporting argument during this time.
  • For the third quarter, finish writing your supporting arguments and write your first counter argument and its refutation.
  • For the final quarter, touch on any other counter arguments (you can spend less time on these than on support), write your conclusion, and then proofread the essay and hand it in.
I learned it that way in 1978 and it's never gone out of style to do it that way.

And PS reading others' essays won't do you any good. You'll just need to practice doing this.
dalehileman

Tue 19 Sep, 2017 10:01 am
@iamtooconfused,
Golly Pete Iam, that's like askin', 'describe the Universe'
0 Replies

iamtooconfused

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 02:34 pm
@jespah,
Thanks a lot,
I will try the approach you have suggested. Still I have some problem with timing since I have to write about 300-400 words within the period of 30 mins. What makes it even harder is that English is not my language. So, is there any strategy help not only to write a good essay but also to write it quickly?
jespah

Wed 20 Sep, 2017 03:44 pm
@iamtooconfused,
You need to make decisions very quickly, as that isn't a lot of time. So you really can't spend time trying to decide if one method or word is better than another. With so little time, you will need to hit the ground running really quickly, so you might need to tweak the time and go with a shorter amount of time to plan. 1/4 of 30 minutes is 7 1/2 minutes. You might need to shorten that to 5 just so you can get the words out. You might also need to scrap the proofreading step as you'll need the minutes.

Keep thinking about how one sentence connects to the next one, and how one idea leads to the next. That's about the best I can tell you, as that is a rather short amount of time, particularly for a person who is not a native speaker.
NishiShivkumar

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 03:45 am
@iamtooconfused,
Good essay is one which is well-researched and communicates the concept very well.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 04:22 am
@jespah,
0 Replies

dalehileman

Tue 7 Nov, 2017 12:09 pm
@iamtooconfused,
Code:but also to write it quickly?
Fuse, I spend maybe 7-1/2 hrs a day to just write a Let to the Ed
0 Replies