$100,000 reward for info on 1964 "Freedom Summer" slayings

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 12:38 pm
An anonymous donor has posted a $100,000 reward for information leading to charges in the unsolved "Freedom Summer" slayings of 3 civil rights workers in Mississippi in June, 1964.

Background information here

The three volunteers, in the state to help to register black voters, were allegedly beaten and shot to death by Klansmen on a dirt road as they drove to a local church to investigate a fire. Nineteen people were indicted in the slayings for violating federal civil rights law, but the state never brought any murder charges. The reward is being administered by the Mississippi Religious Leadership Conference.

Quote:
$100,000 reward offered in 1964 civil rights murders

By Shelia Byrd, Associated Press | December 21, 2004

JACKSON, Miss. -- An anonymous donor has posted a $100,000 reward for information leading to murder charges in one of the most notorious crimes of the civil rights era -- the ''Freedom Summer" slayings of three civil rights workers in 1964.

The reward will be administered by an interfaith organization as the state renews efforts to bring charges in the killings of James Chaney, Michael Schwerner, and Andrew Goodman.

''There are people who have been harboring some of this information for a long time. There was a lot of common knowledge about this," said the Rev. James White, treasurer of the Mississippi Religious Leadership Conference, which is overseeing the reward money.

In 1964, the three volunteers helping to register black voters were murdered on a lonely dirt road as they drove to a church to investigate a fire.

They were allegedly stopped by Klansmen, beaten, and shot to death.

Several weeks later, their bodies were found buried in a dam a few miles from the church.

Nineteen men, many of them Klansmen, were indicted. Seven were convicted of federal civil rights violations and sentenced to prison terms ranging from three to 10 years.

But the state never brought murder charges, and none of the men convicted served more than six years.

Of those indicted, only seven are still alive, said Jacob Ray, a spokesman for Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood, who has reopened an investigation of the slayings.

© Copyright 2004 Globe Newspaper Company.
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 573 • Replies: 1
No top replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 10:36 am
Oh, let it come to pass ... here, as written by Harry Belafonte and sung by so many ...

Quote:
I think of Andy in the cold wet clay
Those three are on my mind
With his comrades down beside him
On that brutal day

There lays young James in his final pain
So I ask the killers can you see those three again

I see dark eyed Michael
With his dark eyed bride