State by State Divorce Rates

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 06:28 pm
STATE-BY-STATE DIVORCE RATES:
MASSACHUSETTS LOWEST; NEVADA HIGHEST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Massachusetts and Connecticut rank first and second, respectively, for having the lowest divorce rates in the nation, according to new 1994 divorce data from the National Center for Health Statistics. Both states experienced a moderate drop in divorce rates between 1992 and 1994 to remain at the top of the list. Massachusetts fell from 2.8 in 1992 to 2.4 in 1994, while Connecticut fell from 3.1 to 2.8.

Nevada once again had the highest divorce rate in the country, even though it experienced the most marked drop in divorce rates during the two-year period. Nevada fell from 11.4 in 1992 to 9.0 in 1994.

The divorce rate per 1,000 population for the entire United States was 4.6 in 1994, down from 4.8 in 1992. Generally, rates were lower in the Northeast and Midwest and higher in the West and Southeast.

Only four states (New York, South Dakota, Missouri, and Mississippi) experienced a rise in divorce rates between 1992 and 1994. Eight other states held the same rate during 1992 and 1994. Vermont, with a drop in the divorce rate from 5.2 to 4.0, rose in rank from 27th to a tie for 15th position.
------------------------------------------------------------
I started this thread because I heard a voice on Pacifica Radio today stating that the liberal northeast has the most stable families in the nation. He said that the conservative Christians have one of the highest divorce rates. I will be back to link the thread on my next post.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,349 • Replies: 28
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 06:34 pm
http://www.divorcereform.org/94staterates.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 07:02 pm
eeyep. Us danged liberals with our heathen family values, we must be up to something sinister.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 07:28 pm
Probably our young women are finishing high school rather than marrying young and dumb.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 07:29 pm
That's it! Educating women is satan's work.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 07:34 pm
Save your money. Education is only going to confuse them.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 05:52 pm
My state is California. And of course divorce is rampant. We make the best of a bad thing out here in the West.

My wife divorced me but I don't feel like I am divorced. Oh, we don't sleep together, I don't pay her bills and I don't live in my house (that house) anymore but, nevertheless I still feel like a married guy. Even though we have not spoken in two years, even though the grown children rarely speak to me. No, I still feel like I am married.

I have dated countless babes since two years ago but? Just not the same, nobody replaces my wife. Just no way can they do anything like she did for those almost 30 years.

I am willing to suffer though because I now have things I simply could not afford as a married guy. No limit to books, music, movies I collect, my dog, guns, cars, I can sleep with a woman anytime I feel like it without having to see them every day or listen to them whine or worry about them getting sick and paying for the doctor, hospital etc. They are always happy when I see them.

I still wish she hadn't left me though. No idea what she is up to these days. Not that it would do me any good to know. How about you? Very Happy
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 05:59 pm
I'm in California too, and I think Hollywood brings us
down Smile

You know Jack Webbs, it took my exhusband also years
to acknowledge that we're divorced. He just came
around all the time Very Happy
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 06:00 pm
If the divorce rates are falling you can attribute it to the present morality. Many, many couples simply live together without bothering with the formality of marriage. Add that to the mix and the divorce rate would skyrocket.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 06:02 pm
Yep, red states taking ten out of ten on this one:

http://www.divorcemag.com/statistics/statsUS2.shtml

and those darn liberal blue states, well, guess we're stayin' married.

http://toughenough.org/2004/10/massachusetts-liberal-pride.html

What's that you ask ? How about the Bible Belt, you ask?

http://www.ncpa.org/pd/social/pd111999g.html

How's THAT for family values!
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 07:00 pm
I misposted. I don't know what I was thinking but my wife has been divorced going on 17 years next month not 2! See what I mean about still feeling married?

Calamity Jane, if you let your husband keep "coming around" you mustant think he was too bad?

Couples living together au 1929? I never could decide if that was plain pig behavior or not. I have not tried it myself. I could have a girlie live in and I thought about it many times.

I don't think a guy that does it has any balls, any real sense of responsibility. It is an ultimate cop out for a young guy and a very foolish mistake for the young woman. For sure. In the long run it is totally unfair to her. In most of these "wonderful arrangements" they eventually end sooner if not later. Woman is unmarried with kids. I know some of them. Few guys are anxious to marry them (except for all the metrosexuals in daytime TV soaps) and pick up the tab for some strangers mistakes.

I might do it providing she was a career woman preferably with no children or grown ones. But they would have to be living far, far away as I would be living with her, not her family. Naturally I am an older guy to so I would not be taking advantage of her. Divorcee preferred. No widows or women that have never been married. Not for me! :wink:
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 07:17 pm
No, my ex doesn't come around any longer (thank God) but he did for the first couple of years. And yes, he wasn't a bad boy, our lives just went in different directions.

Haha Jack, judging from your post, I did think you're
an older gentleman. Today no woman needs to be married,
or be taken care of. Most women work, are financially independent, and stand their ground. A husband is a nice
additon but not necessarily the main course Wink
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 10:20 pm
I am inclined to agree with you about the man not being the main course. I believe this has always been the case; woman's children come before the man, husband or otherwise.

I got married and had children mainly because it was expected of men to do it as part of life's progression. I enjoyed the children when they were very small and gradually found them to be troublesome, proportionately as they grew to puberty when I didn't like them at all and then I looked upon them as good friends once they were out of the house and on their own. I have no interest in grandchildren. The grandma and grandpa thing is mythical for me. They are my children's kids and they can put up with them. I tolerate them when they visit.

No, the real fun in life was sex with my wife and the few hours alone together each day from 18 to 46. She gave me her all for nearly 30 years. She is my sole heir. I owe her for all those years of warm, pleasent times.

The single moms I mentioned are not among the happiest women I know. Seems like their "additions" are now much more important in their forties than in their twenties and of course now they are looking for husbands rather than additions. Two of them I feel very strong about but not enough to pay for her and "his" mistakes. Whoever he might be.

The world doesn't stop for things like this though, nor should it. People get on with life one way or the other. I guess.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 02:24 pm
Oh
my
God

I think my father has found A2K.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 03:06 pm
Not likely FreeDuck, I never heard of Toilettown. Very Happy
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 03:07 pm
Well, if you were my father that wouldn't matter. He doesn't actually know where his children live.

I'm just joshing you. You sound very much like my father, but my father has remarried and does not talk so nicely about his ex-wife. Other than that you could be him.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 03:50 pm
Another interesting statistic is the teenage pregnancy rate. This rate is also highest in the southern (bible belt) states. The lowest tends to be in the Northeast including Massachusetts – considered one of the most liberal states.

“The highest rates (66–71 births per 1,000 women aged 15–19) were in Mississippi, Texas, Arizona, Arkansas and New Mexico; in the District of Columbia, 56 births occurred per 1,000 teenage women. New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, North Dakota and Maine had the lowest rates (23–29 per 1,000).

http://www.agi-usa.org/pubs/state_pregnancy_trends.pdf
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 04:02 pm
Hmmm. The Bible belt again.

Seriously, trying to impose abstinancy on teenagers is like trying to nail jello to a tree. Yes, you can talk with them, and you can perhaps suggest the advantages to waiting until one is a little older and in a serious relationship, but that's all you can do; that, and provide access to condoms for those who choose not to wait.

I have never been able to understand how some churches can be anti-birth control and anti-abortion at the same time.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 04:31 pm
angie, there's a lot of luck involved. Parents should talk to the teens, many of them don't and I can understand that. Not many people I know that can talk about sex and keep a straight face while doing it. I'm no exception.Smile

As unreligious as people are in general today about the best to be expected is to brief the teens on the options, possibilities etc. then parents should keep their fingers crossed, hope for the best and forget about it. Nothing they can do about it.

I know I was very relieved when my children reached legal age healthy, left the house and left no bastards as reminders. Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 04:39 pm
Jack Webbs wrote:
I am inclined to agree with you about the man not being the main course. I believe this has always been the case; woman's children come before the man, husband or otherwise.

I got married and had children mainly because it was expected of men to do it as part of life's progression. I enjoyed the children when they were very small and gradually found them to be troublesome, proportionately as they grew to puberty when I didn't like them at all and then I looked upon them as good friends once they were out of the house and on their own. I have no interest in grandchildren. The grandma and grandpa thing is mythical for me. They are my children's kids and they can put up with them. I tolerate them when they visit.

No, the real fun in life was sex with my wife and the few hours alone together each day from 18 to 46. She gave me her all for nearly 30 years. She is my sole heir. I owe her for all those years of warm, pleasent times.

The single moms I mentioned are not among the happiest women I know. Seems like their "additions" are now much more important in their forties than in their twenties and of course now they are looking for husbands rather than additions. Two of them I feel very strong about but not enough to pay for her and "his" mistakes. Whoever he might be.

The world doesn't stop for things like this though, nor should it. People get on with life one way or the other. I guess.

I'm sure glad you're not my father. What a horrible way to talk about your children and grandchildren!
0 Replies