The so-called left-leaning media....

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 12:55 am
Instigate wrote:
The bias is inherrent in the very definitions of conservative and liberal. Liberalism is more interesting, its more about change. On the liberal side there is also far more outrage, protests, global warming, doom and gloom, We're all gonna die!!! Fish really do have feelings! Bush is Satan!, etc, etc. What is interesting is what sells.

I've not had the prior pleasure Instigate and therefore let me, now, extend a welcome.

Liberal is, indeed, more anxious, and Liberals are, indeed, more in tune with their hyperbolic selves.

However, when one reaches a certain age...an age when there are people on earth whom one hopes will outlive one, one tends towards the predictable, the staid, and the hell with what might be interesting.
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:02 am
Lusatian wrote:
Frank, denying that the mass media is left leaning would be in sinc with claiming that the military does not favor conservatives, Hollywood celebrities are staunch Republicans, and the majority of NHL players and NFL quarterbacks are black.

Journalism and creative writing are generally listed in university catalogs as liberal arts, most of the time falling under said liberal arts departments. Therefore it shouldn't be hard for an educated and situationally-aware individual to concede that the prevailing sentiment in institutions such as CBS, ABC, Newsweek, MSNBC is more in tune with a liberal agenda that encompasses free speech, free press, transparency, and checks and balances, all aspects that the mass media trumpet as their goals and their divine right to be in your face whenever it may slightly boost ratings.

Some things are not too difficult to recognize as patterns. But, I guess you must have been fooled by Susan Sarandon coming out in support of the President, those military protests demanding equal rights for gays, and that incredible show of athletisism from the NHL.

Nobody is arguing that the journalists are liberal, just as the people who decide what is aired are conservative.

What you are failing to notice is that the reporter is not the one who frames the programming, but the conservative program managers. The tone and rhetoric is abjectly from the hard right, the stories are squelched and shut down. Why do you think you haven't heard about the election fraud in mainstream media? Because they're liberal?!?? Look at the facts instead of relying on stereotypes and hatred for your opinion.

Besides, where is the "liberal" media outlet to counter Faux News? Oh, I forgot, there is NONE!!!! Some liberal bias I tell you.
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:09 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Instigate wrote:
The bias is inherrent in the very definitions of conservative and liberal. Liberalism is more interesting, its more about change. On the liberal side there is also far more outrage, protests, global warming, doom and gloom, We're all gonna die!!! Fish really do have feelings! Bush is Satan!, etc, etc. What is interesting is what sells.

I've not had the prior pleasure Instigate and therefore let me, now, extend a welcome.

Liberal is, indeed, more anxious, and Liberals are, indeed, more in tune with their hyperbolic selves.

However, when one reaches a certain age...an age when there are people on earth whom one hopes will outlive one, one tends towards the predictable, the staid, and the hell with what might be interesting.

More stereotypes Finn, way to keep an open mind. If you're 20 and liberal, you have no heart, if your're 40 & liberal you have no brain. It use to be true, not any more. If you have a brain and think for yourself, you vote liberal. If you believe what others tell you, without investegating matters yourself, you are conservative.

Since you are so happy to throw stereotypes around, here are a few more.

Liberal minds are openminded. They tend to look at a situation and analyze all possible outcomes before making a decision on what to do.

Conservatives are more close minded, or as I like to put it, simple minded. THey often think they have the answer before all of the information is gathered. They tend to think inside the box, instead of outside the box.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:17 am
PDiddie wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Just remember you have to recite "I do believe in fairies!" three times while ringing the bell.

Why do you always post a smart-alecky non sequitur every time you've run out of arguments?

To some of the ignorance that gets posted around here, I find it easier to be smart-alecky and non-sequitur than to keep beating my head against the wall. Nothing I say will matter to Joe Republican....

For example:

Joe Republican wrote:
More stereotypes Finn, way to keep an open mind. If you're 20 and liberal, you have no heart, if your're 40 & liberal you have no brain. It use to be true, not any more. If you have a brain and think for yourself, you vote liberal. If you believe what others tell you, without investegating matters yourself, you are conservative.

Since you are so happy to throw stereotypes around, here are a few more.

Liberal minds are openminded. They tend to look at a situation and analyze all possible outcomes before making a decision on what to do.

Conservatives are more close minded, or as I like to put it, simple minded. THey often think they have the answer before all of the information is gathered. They tend to think inside the box, instead of outside the box.

Should I bother replying to that nonsense? No. Instead, I will choose to be smart-alecky and non-sequitur.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 08:37 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Have you heard some of the stuff being spouted by conservatives?

I'm of the opinion that that the whole neo-con movement is based on fear.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 10:19 am
"Liberal minds are openminded. They tend to look at a situation and analyze all possible outcomes before making a decision on what to do."

This is why we have overly complex goverment mandated solutions to simple problems. Call a spade a spade, and play the card.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 10:24 am
cjhsa wrote:
"Liberal minds are openminded. They tend to look at a situation and analyze all possible outcomes before making a decision on what to do."

This is why we have overly complex goverment mandated solutions to simple problems. Call a spade a spade, and play the card.

Those overly complex government mandated solutions cannot be laid entirely at the feet of "liberal minds". I'll give you a hint, there is one party who has been running the government for 22 of the last 34 years. A corrupt and inefficient government is indeed a problem, but it isn't the result of 'liberal minds'.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 11:57 am
You're tap dancing around the obvious, FD.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 12:37 pm
...you're playing the tune, cjhsa.
0 Replies