The so-called left-leaning media....

Joe Republican

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 06:04 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Joe...

...you are missing the point.

Unless the organ backs the conservative agenda 100%...conservatives like McG will consider it to be liberal.

Yeah...it is stupid...but what the hell. Stupidity is a form of consistency for conservatives.

I actually get the point, hence I'm castigated out as a free trade, anti union, pro gun, pro death penalty, small government liberal.

It's actually fun to watch. Over the next 4 years, we will witness the downfall of the republican party, and they don't even see it comming.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 06:06 pm
Joe Republican wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Joe...

Unless the organ backs the conservative agenda 100%...conservatives like McG will consider it to be liberal.

Yeah...it is stupid...but what the hell. Stupidity is a form of consistency for conservatives.

I actually get the point, hence I'm castigated out as a free trade, anti union, pro gun, pro death penalty, small government liberal.

It's actually fun to watch. Over the next 4 years, we will witness the downfall of the republican party, and they don't even see it comming.

I know, the recent elections are especially telling of the future downfall of the Republican party...

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 06:08 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Huh. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were calling me stupid...

However, since I know you would never do that let's take a looksee what you said.

No, McG, I did not call you stupid...nor would I.

You do, however, adhere to...and back...a very stupid, hypocritical political philosophy.

Quote:
Unless the news organization backs the conservative agenda, it is liberal. If that is true, the the reverse of that , unless a news organization backs the liberal agenda, it is conservative, must also be true.

Nice try...but it falls very short.

My point earlier is that CONSERVATIVES seem to feel that unless a media organ is conservative...it is liberal.

I don't know that I have ever heard the opposite from the liberals. They seem to realize that the vast majority of the media is independent of either philosophy. And they are not given to the paranoia of the right...that unless you are firmly with me, you must be against me.

Quote:
I do not believe that to be my point, but apparently it is yours.

No it is not...and my guess is that you realize it is not...but that you are desparate for some kind of rebuttal.

Hey, go for it.

Quote:
Why would you be so narrow minded Frank?

I am not narrow minded...at least, not on this issue. But I think you are!

Quote:
Can't there be a middle ground?

Yes...and I truly wish you and your fellow conservatives would see it once in a while.

Quote:
Must everything be so black & white with you?

Oh my...an attempt at humor.

And it worked.

I know I laughed.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 06:27 pm
The neo-con Tag Team is relying rather heavily upon McG today... where's woiyo and the rest?
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 06:27 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Joe Republican wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Joe...

I know, the recent elections are especially telling of the future downfall of the Republican party...

Rolling Eyes

Completely ignoring the debate. . . Rolling Eyes

Just start to look at what the Neo-cons are doing to the moderate Repubs. They're driving a stake right through the middle of your party. You should really read Christine Whittman's book coming out in Jan. It may open up your eyes a little bit.

But then again, it's fun watching the Neo-cons talking points continue to be chopped up like a psyche in Gitmo.

As for the election, the Republican "mandate" was from redistricting in Texas and a less then legal campaign in Ohio, Florida and god knows where else. Your aligning with the "moral" voters (read religious extremeists) is the begionning of the end of your reign.

Pride cometh before the fall.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 06:41 pm
actually I think, separating out media owers from reporter/news gather types, there is a bias. quite a few studies have shown that the more educated one becomes the more likely he/she is to have "leftest" perspectives. The fact that journalists (in modern american" have tended to be better educated than the norm would also indicate that more of them would lean left in perspective.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 06:50 pm
Only when intelligence is ratioed to wealth.

Wealthy intellectuals tend to be more conservative. Poor intellectuals tend to be more liberal.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 06:52 pm
A question of values rears it's head. $$$ wins? apparently so.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:04 pm
It generally does in real life.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:10 pm
yeah I suppose so which is why we have the seemly eternal debate between liberals and conservatives. reality defined as what has been vs reality defined as what could be. I tend towards living for the future and hoping the younger peeps have a life, conservatives tend to live for yesterday hoping it will return tomorrow.
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:55 pm
dyslexia wrote:
actually I think, separating out media owers from reporter/news gather types, there is a bias. quite a few studies have shown that the more educated one becomes the more likely he/she is to have "leftest" perspectives. The fact that journalists (in modern american" have tended to be better educated than the norm would also indicate that more of them would lean left in perspective.

Dys, I agree with you, but look at the whole picture. I don't think anyone would argue the majority of journalists are liberal, they are for the reasons you just mentioned.

This is the way the RNC begins their talk and discussions. They focus on one truth, and try to cast it across all of society.

Now, for the entire truth, while there is a larger % of liberal reporters, the people who decide what gets written/shown/published et all are overwhelmingly conservitive. Two media conglomerates (Sinclair and Clear Channel) reach the entire US and also have a STRONG conservative voice. Turn on talk radio and tell me how many liberal talk show hosts there are. I should also note that Sinclair and Clear Channel donated almost 100% to the republican party.

You see, it's who controlls the information, not who's writing it that matters.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:57 pm
Just remember you have to recite "I do believe in fairies!" three times while ringing the bell.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 08:05 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Just remember you have to recite "I do believe in fairies!" three times while ringing the bell.

Why do you always post a smart-alecky non sequitur every time you've run out of arguments?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 08:08 pm
You don't have to have a point to have a point. Rely on opinion when you cant find the facts (it's the republican way)
0 Replies

Joe Republican

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 08:26 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Funny, espically since you've neglected to respond with any sort of rational, logical thought. But then again, that's your way of admiting you're wrong. It's O.K. I understand.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 08:29 pm
Humour, vastly under-rated.
0 Replies

Lusatian

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 08:49 pm
Frank, denying that the mass media is left leaning would be in sinc with claiming that the military does not favor conservatives, Hollywood celebrities are staunch Republicans, and the majority of NHL players and NFL quarterbacks are black.

Journalism and creative writing are generally listed in university catalogs as liberal arts, most of the time falling under said liberal arts departments. Therefore it shouldn't be hard for an educated and situationally-aware individual to concede that the prevailing sentiment in institutions such as CBS, ABC, Newsweek, MSNBC is more in tune with a liberal agenda that encompasses free speech, free press, transparency, and checks and balances, all aspects that the mass media trumpet as their goals and their divine right to be in your face whenever it may slightly boost ratings.

Some things are not too difficult to recognize as patterns. But, I guess you must have been fooled by Susan Sarandon coming out in support of the President, those military protests demanding equal rights for gays, and that incredible show of athletisism from the NHL.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 08:57 pm
Frank's right. One need not be a liberal to have a churlish take on conservative philosophy.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 11:43 pm
dyslexia wrote:
You don't have to have a point to have a point. Rely on opinion when you cant find the facts (it's the republican way)

No...

The Republican Way: (Formerly the neo-conservative way)

Code:
1. Start with ideology.
2. Formulate plan based on ideology.
3. Implement plan.
4. Ignore evidence that plan does not work.
A. Distort facts to fit ideology.
B. Disregard facts that do not fit ideology.
C. Deny that plan does not work.
5. Refuse to answer questions about plan.
6. Label those who question plan as hysterical/un-American/Michael Moore.
7. Return to step 3.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 12:32 am
The bias is inherrent in the very definitions of conservative and liberal. Liberalism is more interesting, its more about change. On the liberal side there is also far more outrage, protests, global warming, doom and gloom, We're all gonna die!!! Fish really do have feelings! Bush is Satan!, etc, etc. What is interesting is what sells.
0 Replies