What are the problems with electric cars?

TomTomBinks

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2017 08:49 pm
@roger,
I think we'll learn to charge our cars just as we learned to charge our phones. It'll become a habit.
Possibly someone will invent a charging system that won't require us to drag a cable to the car and plug it in. Maybe something like a pad that lays in the driveway or on the garage floor. Just park the car on it and it will charge itself?
roger

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2017 09:14 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Sure.

Meanwhile, have you followed the Tesla news? Seems they remotely threw a switch that turned their 60kw battery into a 75kw battery for those in the projected path of the hurricane. Free! Now, isn't that big of them? I somewhat suspect they could throw another remote switch and turn your 120k car into a really pretty paperweight.

I just picked this up from yahoo news, but it sounds authentic.
roger

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2017 09:19 pm
@roger,
Here's another source. https://cleantechnica.com/2017/09/09/tesla-unlocks-extra-battery-capacity-owners-fleeing-hurricanes/

Tesla probably considers this a feature. To my mind, it is close to being a swindle, as the option normally goes for about five grand - and it's the same god damned battery you already paid for.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 01:30 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Quote:
something like a pad that lays in the driveway
Great idea Tom....though I think some of 'em do it now....and yet can't help wonderin', can you, why it took 'em so gddm long
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 01:32 pm
@roger,
Quote:
[why] be willing to put up with connecting a charger to a car at the end of nearly every day [?]
Right, Rog, gddm right ! See subsequent remarks by Tom and me
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 01:34 pm
@hibbitus,
Quote:
you seem to want to fix a broke stick
Hib you who
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 06:52 pm
@roger,
This sounds criminal! Up until now I've been kind of a fan of Tesla. I admire the innovation. I guess they're just like every other company though; squeeze the customer for every penny possible, and then when you actually don't, make yourself look like a hero...
0 Replies

erik43

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 07:20 am
@mike94,
I think battery drain would be a problem. They can not travel to long distances like normal cars.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 11:15 am
@erik43,
Erik, apolos, but who's Mike
Ragman

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 11:35 am
@dalehileman,
Mike94 is the OP.
maporsche

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 12:53 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

What I'm wondering is, would the American driver be willing to put up with connecting a charger to a car at the end of nearly every day. Also, is he going to have to get his hands dirty while connecting and disconnecting the charger? Will she break a fingernail in the process?

I can't tell if this is a joke, but in case it's not. How is this much different than every few days opening your gas tank door, unscrewing your gas tank cap, taking a gas pump off the machine and putting it into your car, then taking it out and sometimes have dripping flammable gasoline spill out if you do this too quickly?

It seems that plugging in a clean cord to your car isn't much different than plugging in your vacuum cleaner.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 01:04 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
It seems that plugging in a clean cord to your car isn't much different than plugging in your vacuum cleaner.

that's pretty much it

I like that some buildings now have sort of reward parking spots for people in electrics and hybrids. Best spots in the lot/building, next to the mobility spots.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 01:08 pm
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:
Possibly someone will invent a charging system that won't require us to drag a cable to the car and plug it in. Maybe something like a pad that lays in the driveway or on the garage floor. Just park the car on it and it will charge itself?

there's not much dragging to be done, unless you think plugging in a hair dryer involves dragging cords

__

Not a Tesla fan but my best friend is ready to pull the trigger on one. Her brother has a couple and loves them. She's waiting for the next one, with slightly increased distance. Her hybrid is brilliant. She goes on quite long trips on tiny amounts of fuel.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 01:23 pm
@roger,
Rg thank you for that link. I'm surprised it didn't express a bit of dismay, as you and I might've, asking why they didn't give us that extra 40 miles in the first place

By the way Rog, who is Hib and whom isn't it he don't like, and why
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 01:27 pm
@erik43,
Aha, thanks Erik, but then why din't they tell us that

But who's Mike, and what was it he said

Edited with thanks to Rog; clearly I had misunderstood the misunderstanding
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 01:30 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Mike94 is the OP
Aha !! thanks Rag
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 04:46 pm
@ehBeth,
As soon as I can afford an electric, I'll be getting one. Either the price will go down or I'll earn more money, maybe both!
dalehileman

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 07:16 pm
@TomTomBinks,
Best luck Tom and be sure to report back
TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2017 05:47 am
@dalehileman,
Dale, I have a feeling it will be awhile.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2017 10:42 am
@TomTomBinks,
Yea Tom they do cost a penny or two don't they
But isn't there some sorta Gov't sub'dy