Gungasnake's "Evolution is Bunk" Digression

Asherman

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 11:54 pm
Indeed you did post such a list, and I missed it. Usually, I review all the previous pages, in this case I did not. Sorry about that.

A quick scan of the material did not especially impress me. I noted several names of folks who've been either discredited, or who have stated publically that their views were taken out of context and misinterpreted. However, if you want to believe in creationism over evolution, that's your business.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 12:40 am
Asherman wrote:
Indeed you did post such a list, and I missed it. Usually, I review all the previous pages, in this case I did not. Sorry about that.

A quick scan of the material did not especially impress me. I noted several names of folks who've been either discredited, or who have stated publically that their views were taken out of context and misinterpreted. However, if you want to believe in creationism over evolution, that's your business.

The only really significant case of what you claim (people claiming they've been quoted out of context) is probably going to be Steve Gould, and that case bears some explanation.

Prior to the 1980s, Darwinism basically was acting like a wet blanket laying on top of the entire field of paleontology. Darwinism in its original formulation absolutely requires that the vast bulk of all fossils be intermediates, and nobody has ever found a single one such fossil as any number of the people I quoted note.

Normally, a theory which was flatly contradicted by 100% of the evidence would be dropped like a hot potato, nonetheless, evolutionism is basically a sort of a yuppie religion and not a normal or real science theory. No amount of evidence will ever cause it to be dropped. For this reason, paleontologists were being prohibited from publishing any of their findings along certain lines of investigation and the entire field was being stifled.

At that point, Stephen J. Gould, Niles Eldredge, and a few others, apparently got hold of the tapes for that famous final episide of the Uncle Don radio show of the 1930s in which Uncle Don failed to realize he was still miked and said something like "That ought to hold the little bastards for another day", and a light went on in their heads. Let us, they said to themselves, provide our own "little bastards" (evolutionists), with something which can hold them for another day or maybe 20 or 30 years.

They basically devised a new version of a theory of evolution (punctuated equilbria or 'punk-eek') which incorporated the notion of stasis and attempted to explain the actual paleontological record, and broke the stranglehold on the field of paleontology. The beauty of what they did, from their own perspective, was that it didn't even matter how idiotic the new theory was since the intended audience, evolutionists, were idiots anyhow.

Now, in the course of putting this new theory on the streets and gaining acceptance for it, Gould and the others had to make a lot of statements basically slamming old Charles Darwin and laying out the problems which the fossil record posed for the older version of evolution and it did not take long for creationists to get hold of many of those statements and begin quoting them, and AFTER the new version (punk eek) had gained sufficient acceptance, Gould begain claiming that all such people were quoting him out of context since it generally appeared unrespectable for a learned doctor such as Gould to be being quoted by what was perceived as a rabble.

This, of course, amounts to an attempt to have his cake and eat it also, and is totally disengenous on the part of Gould.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 07:54 am
Lemmee get this straight, now:

Gould comes up with a new theory and during the course of promoting it attacks an older theory. Evolutionists use his statements to attack all of evolution. Gould protests. Creationists then claim he wants to "have his cake and eat it too."

About right?

Also, trying to explain away one source does not make your other sources more credible.

Keep trying, though, it's fun to watch you tapdance!

P.S. Ever see Chicago? Razzle-dazzle, 'em, Gunga!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 11:38 am

Been working and unable to keep up with this thread. It has taken an interesting turn.

The above link from Cav re: prairie dogs have language...

"There are no black ovals running around out there and yet they all had the same word for black oval," Slobodchikoff said.

He guesses the prairie dogs are genetically programmed with some vocabulary and the ability to describe things.

My guess is that that all said "WTF? The moon has fallen and lost its light!" This of course was linguistically represented by "EEEEEK"

Sorry to interrupt. Carry on.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 12:03 pm
DrewDad wrote:

Gould comes up with a new theory and during the course of promoting it attacks an older theory. Evolutionists use his statements to attack all of evolution...
About right?

Did you mean to say "creationists use his statements...."?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 03:36 pm
gungasnake wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Gould comes up with a new theory and during the course of promoting it attacks an older theory. Evolutionists use his statements to attack all of evolution...
About right?

Shocked

Er... yes.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 05:37 pm
DrewDad wrote:

Quote:

Shocked

Er... yes.

Again, in case you missed it, here's what's wrong with the Gould/Eldridge version of evolution, which is the defacto replacement for Darwinism at this point.

It amounts to an attempt to get by two horrendous problems with the old version:

• The total lack of transitional fossils, i.e. fossils showing some clear pattern of change from one kind of animal to another kind of animal. Darwin had claimed that this problem would be rectified over time as beter earth-moving equipment developed and more fossils were unearthed; nonetheles, 140 years and many generations of bulldozers and backhoes later, none have ever turned up and as Gould notes, all that the fossil record shows is "STASIS", meaning that an animal type shows up out of the blue, continues for long periods of time without any meaningful change, and then either dies out or is still here, basically unchanged.
  • the Haldane Dilemma from the realm of population genetics, i.e. the impossible time spans required for passing large numbers of genetic changes through large herds of animals. These kinds of time spans necessary for Darwinian evolution have been described in terms of quadrillions of years.

Consider what Gould and other punk-eekers are saying. Punc-eek amounts to a claim that all meaningful evolutionary change takes place in peripheral areas, amongst tiny groups of animals which develop some genetic advantage, and then move out and overwhelm, outcompete, and replace the larger herds. They are claiming that this eliminates the need to spread genetic change through any sizeable herd of animals and, at the same time, is why we never find intermediate fossils (since there are never enough of these CHANGELINGS to leave fossil evidence).

Obvious problems with punctuated equilibria include, minimally:

• It is a pure pseudoscience seeking to explain and actually be proved by a lack of evidence rather than by evidence (all the missing intermediate fossils). Similarly, Cotton Mather claimed that the fact that nobody had ever seen or heard a witch was proof they were there (if you could SEE them, they wouldn't BE witches...) This kind of logic is less inhibiting than the logic they used to teach in American schools. For instance, I could as easily claim that the fact that I'd never been seen with Tina Turner was all the proof anybody should need that I was sleeping with her. In other words, it might not work terribly well for science, but it's great for fantasies...

• PE amounts to a claim that inbreeding is the most major source of genetic advancement in the world. Apparently Steve Gould never saw Deliverance...

• PE requires these tiny peripheral groups to conquer vastly larger groups of animals millions if not billions of times, which is like requiring Custer to win at the little Big Horn every day, for millions of years.

• PE requires an eternal victory of animals specifically adapted to localized and parochial conditions over animals which are globally adapted, which never happens in real life.

• For any number of reasons, you need a minimal population of any animal to be viable. This is before the tiny group even gets started in overwhelming the vast herds. A number of American species such as the heath hen became non-viable when their numbers were reduced to a few thousand; at that point, any stroke of bad luck at all, a hard winter, a skewed sex ratio in one generation, a disease of some sort, and it's all over. The heath hen was fine as long as it was spread out over the East coast of the U.S. The point at which it got penned into one of these "peripheral" areas which Gould and Eldredge see as the salvation for evolutionism, it was all over.

The sort of things noted in items 3 and 5 are generally referred to as the "gambler's problem", in this case, the problem facing the tiny group of "peripheral" animals being similar to that facing a gambler trying to beat the house in blackjack or roulette; the house could lose many hands of cards or rolls of the dice without flinching, and the globally-adapted species spread out over a continent could withstand just about anything short of a continental-scale catastrophe without going extinct, while two or three bad rolls of the dice will bankrupt the gambler, and any combination of two or three strokes of bad luck will wipe out the "peripheral" species. Gould's basic method of handling this roblem is to ignore it.

And there's one other thing which should be obvious to anybody attempting to read through Gould and Eldridge's BS:

They don't even bother to try to provide a mechanism or technical explaination of any sort for this "punk-eek"

They are claiming that at certain times, amongst tiny groups of animals living in peripheral areas, a "speciation event(TM)" happens, and THEN the rest of it takes place. In other words, they are saying:

Quote:

ASSUMING that Abracadabra-Shazaam(TM) happens, then the rest of the business proceeds as we have described in our scholarly discourse above!

Again, Gould and Eldridge require that the Abracadabra-Shazaam(TM) happen not just once, but countless billions of times, i.e. at least once for every kind of complex creature which has ever walked the Earth. They do not specify whether this amounts to the same Abracadabra-Shazaam each time, or a different kind of Abracadabra-Shazaam for each creature.

Again, I would claim that this new version of evolution was in at least as bad a shape as the original as far as matching up with any sort of evidence or in terms of basic logic, and I would further claim that Gould and eldredge didn't even care and regarded their intended audience as idiots.
0 Replies

primergray

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 08:12 pm
Are you the author of the above, Gungasnake? (If so, Tina Turner?? well, maybe 30 yrs ago... )

Is there any way to get back to the point of discussing 'evolutionism' on this thread? I think it was something to do with the sanctity of human life.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 08:46 pm
It isn't that I miss the points or the logic of the sources you cite, Gunga.

It is just that I do not find them credible and/or persuasive.

It doesn't matter how many times you post the same thing; I still will not find it persuasive.

You gotta give me something credible, something new, something with a peer review.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 08:46 pm
As I recall, six or seven pages ago this thread wasn't even supposed to be about evolution or 'evolutionism.' Some other isms were being discussed. Any possibility of getting back on that track?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:53 pm
primergray wrote:
Are you the author of the above, Gungasnake? (If so, Tina Turner?? well, maybe 30 yrs ago... )

Is there any way to get back to the point of discussing 'evolutionism' on this thread? I think it was something to do with the sanctity of human life.

Not the sanctity of life so much as simply the question of whether or not there could be such a thing as morality at all in a world in which evolution had replaced religion and religious beliefs.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 10:51 pm
gungasnake wrote:
whether or not there could be such a thing as morality at all in a world in which evolution had replaced religion and religious beliefs.

Poppycock. A respect for hierarchical authority, proscriptions against incest, general violence and mayhem within the pack or clan, clearly delineated territory ownership and breeding hierarchies, a shared responsibility for protecting, rearing, and educating the young ... all are so inate as to be instinctual, whether one considers species as divergent as the canids and the anthropods. Humans are no different in this regard from the apes or the dogs ... or just about any pack animal.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 04:33 am
You know the argument has deteriorated to arrant nonsense when morality is equated with organized religion.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 05:08 am
Merry, I did try to get it back on track. But alas, did not succeed.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 06:59 am
Prolly my fault ... I didn't help anyhow. Sorry.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 07:17 am
There're actually two or three reasons for wanting to talk about evolution on a political forum.

One is the question of whether or not morality is possible for evolutionists, and I claim it is not. Two is guys like Joe Nation claiming that Bush supporters are rednecks and knuckle-draggers for not believing in evolution (amongst other things), and three is the fact that evolution(ism) meets the classical definition of a pseudoscience and hence has to be viewed as a political issue and not a scientific one, since there is no possibility of it being falsified even in theory, and that's aside from the theory's supporters consistently behaving like religious zealots.

The All-Time, Ultimate Evolution Quote

Quote:

If a person doesn't think that there is a God to be accountable to, then what's the point of trying to modify your behavior to keep it within acceptable ranges? That's how I thought anyway. I always believed the theory of evolution as truth, that we all came from slime. When we died, you know , that was it, there is nothing...

Jeffrey Dahmer, noted Evolutionist

0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 07:31 am
Some folks are easily entertained ... and the internet gives 'em a big playground. Its no wonder sex nostrums, body part enhancers, and pyramid scams abound in cyberspace - the target audience has concentrated there.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 10:05 am
Just goes to show there are kooks of every political shade.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 11:01 am
Asherman wrote:
Just goes to show there are kooks of every political shade.

You're calling all of the people I quoted a few pages back "kooks"?

I mean, you look at the job titles and descriptions of the first handful of people on that list, excluding Gould who you claim has claimed he was misquoted, and you see things like:

Head Curator, Dept of Geology, Stoval Museum
Senior Paleontologist, British Museum of Natural History, London
Fellow of Corpus Christi College
Curator of GeologyField Museum of Natural History, Chicago
Curator University Museum of Oxford University

And these guys are ALL "kooks"??????
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 12:16 pm
No, Snake, they aren't "kooks" - the folks who select-and-snip isolated bits and pieces of purportedly "Supportive Evidence" from them, taking them out of context and/or misattributing the derivation and/or contextual eaning of the statements are kooks. The same sorta kooks that can find anything they wanna find in The Bible, for instance, completely irrespective of context or contradiction. "Its there if only you know how to read it with your heart, not your mind"

There's not much point arguin' science and fact with folks committed to superstion and fantasy. Sorta like tryin' to teach a horse to sing - ain't gonna do any good, and its likely just to wind up pissin' off both you and the horse if you keep it up long enough.
0 Replies