0

Scientists Offer Proof of 'Dark Matter'

Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 06:26 am
Link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/21/AR2006082101139.html
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,920 • Replies: 2

stuh505

1  
Reply Tue 22 Aug, 2006 03:30 pm
I don't get your poll, but I am very skeptical of dark matter, and rightly so. It is a misnomer to refer to the "theory of dark matter" because in a scientific context, a theory is supposed to be demonstrated correct under all circumstances. While the effects of dark matter might be well verified, the cause of those effects is not clear. I consider it "bad science" to think of an arbitrary cause, such as dark matter, or a modification to newton or einstein's laws and call that a new "theory" when it is REALLY just a hypothesis. If people were more consistent when it came to terminology there would be a lot less confusion on these things and a lot less distrust in science in general, because many people (and rightly so) have trouble distinguishing between TRUE theories and "popular theories."

1  
Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 06:37 pm
stuh505 wrote:

22% of the universe is composed of dark matter.

4% of the universe is composed of matter.

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_ig/060916/UniversePie75.jpg