Target stores anti-christian?

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 09:41 am
Ok, so shop WalMart to support christian values.
Quote:
It's easy to beat up on Target and other retailers who shout in flyers trying to get us to spend, spend spend but refuse to let the Salvation Army set up collection kettles outside their doors.
Months ago, the Minneapolis-based retailer announced an end to the annual rite, noting it could no longer make the Salvation Army the sole exception to a rule banning solicitation at its 1,313 stores nationwide.
The decision has raised the ire of shoppers across the nation. Many say they'll take their dollars elsewhere. Some accuse Target of being politically correct and anti-Christian.
For example, this week, the American Family Association, a Christian activist group based in Mississippi, sent an "action alert" to the 2.2 million people on its mailing list, asking members to consider shopping at retailers like Wal-Mart, which allows bell-ringers as an exception to its no-solicitation policy.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 09:44 am
Evolution on the march ...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 09:46 am
Quote:
noting it could no longer make the Salvation Army the sole exception to a rule banning solicitation at its 1,313 stores nationwide.

Makes sense to me. Meanwhile, Target does puh-lenty for charity, itself -- a nice wide swath of charities.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:10 pm
No bell-ringers at Target? Good. Then that's where I'm shopping. I get tired of being hit up for money everywhere I go this time of year.
gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:16 pm
During the course of the year I accumulate vast amounts of small, flat rocks and fill my pockets with them at Christmas time.

The sound they make as they hit the bottom of the collection kettle sounds deceptively like money.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:20 pm
I know this seems un-Christmassy, but I hate it, too. Most people who give, give to a particular charity or a family in the community in need. I can't stand some asshole, who doesn't have a clue about where my money comes from, how much I have (or don't have), and who I give to shouting at me for money, and then making some SOB condescending comment when I tell him as politely as I can that I have a charity...or something that doesn't accompany money.

Half the time I'll give, but when I don't, I shouldn't have to explain my personal finances to some asswipe who probably steals half of it, anyway. It is one of the rudest things you can do, I think.

I'm glad they can't do it anymore.

(The Christmas spirit is coming late this year.)
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:21 pm
Blessed is the man ... that ringeth no bell and keepeth the sabbath.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:22 pm
You carry those flat rocks too, don't you Lash?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:23 pm
Whew. What a tough crowd.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:25 pm
oh yeah? well, I still ain't going to Walmart!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:25 pm
Tough? I gave you a lump of coal, didn't I, Edgar?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:27 pm
Its like the brigands of the Dark Ages--only they're all sitting outside the local WalMart--selling Girl Scout Cookies, church raffle tickets, school fundraising material.... A pox on all of them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:30 pm
The older I get the more I realize, humankind has yet to leave the dark ages.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:34 pm
I write the Salvation Army a check every year. After all, I want my Black Sheep stepsons to have a place to go for Christmas dinner.

(They don't speak to me, so I don't cook for them.)

One of the local supermarkets has a bell ringer and kettle--he fits in nicely between the tub for donations to the local no-kill shelter and the rotating bake sale tables.

Christmas isn't my holiday, but I enjoy the trappings.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:37 pm
That reminds me, Noddy. This year I will donate to the No-Kill Shelter. A very good cause.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:41 pm
Hey I hear ya Lash, I am also a pacifist.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:47 pm
Always with the sly asides, he is.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 06:08 am
Personally, I agree with Target. If their policy is "no solicitation", why should the Salvation Army be able to do it? What makes the Salvation Army special?

I think that the reason that some people have their noses out of joint, is that the bellringers have become part of our culture, and many of folks EXPECT the army to be around at Christmas time. But I don't see where that particular charity is any more worthy than a myriad of others.

I give to charity where I believe that it will do the good that I want it to do. I find that charities who infringe on my privacy are a complete turn off.

Bah, humbug! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

jackel

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 06:59 pm
@Eva,
THE SALVATION ARMY IS THE MOST WORTHWHILE CHARITY OF ALL.ALMOST EVERY PENNY GOES TO THE POOR !!!!!!YOU ARE JUST PLAIN STUPID .THEY DO MORE FOR THE POOR THAN ANYONE.THEIR HEAD MAKES VERY LITTLE PAY AS COMPARED TO THE RED CROSS'S $150K.THEIR LOCAL LEADERS MAKE AS LITTLE AS $13K PER YEAR.
0 Replies