Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 03:41 pm
Well said, indeed, Mr. Stillwater.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 03:43 pm
Quote:
Child Advocate: 'Children Deserve To Feel Safe'

1 hour, 54 minutes ago

Olga Trujillo is saddened about several children in Bexar County who have died of child abuse in the past year.

Trujillo knows what it's like to be physically and sexually abused as a child -- she was once a victim.

And like the people accused of abusing children like Jovanie Ochoa and Diamond Alexandar Washington, Trujillo's abuser was a relative -- her father.

But Trujillo got lucky. Thanks to community intervention, she was freed from a life of abuse.

Trujillo, who is now in her 40s, shared her story of abuse Monday with 450 child advocacy workers at the 2004 Child Abuse Conference at the Omni Hotel, where she was a keynote speaker.

Trujillo told a roomful of people that she is living proof that hope is not lost after a child lives a young life of abuse.

"People feel that when a child is abused, that they're damaged or broken. And, they're not," Trujillo said in an interview with KSAT 12 News. "People can do really well and survive incredibly well."

Attendees of the conference, hosted by the Alamo Children's Advocacy Center, hope to come up with some solutions to prevent child abuse deaths.

The most recent death prompted state officials to send dozens of caseworkers to Bexar County to help hundreds of cases that need attention.

Advocates are hoping to generate a strategy that will prompt the state to provide more funding that will hire more caseworkers and supervisors. A lack of manpower and turnover have been cited as reasons why the Bexar County Child Protective Services office was taken over by its parent agency.

"And I know that's not always a popular thing to say, that money is a solution," said Vickie Ernst, of the Alamo Children's Advocacy Center. "In this case, money is at least part of the solution. Our children deserve to feel safe, especially in their own home. And it's our responsibility in this community to make sure they are."

The conference is scheduled to continue through Tuesday.

Source
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 03:44 pm
Mr Stillwater wrote:
This is bloody stupid turn of phrase - it is the business of UNICEF and international law authorities to protect children from such exploition, NOT the USMC!

Just as an aside, minors in the USA can be married too! In New Hampshire you can be married at 13 if you are a female and your parents agree!! Call out the National Guard!

In Utah, the more radical members of the Mormon church are doing EXACTLY what you find so abbhorent - In the US of A, in the the 21st Century. What the f*ck are you going to do? Carpet bomb them!?!

Maybe Kickycan should read this as to change opinions on the stupidest thing heard...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 04:04 pm
McG - a lot of irony there.

Point is: the kinds of changes requested by O-Bill (perhaps he might want to loosen that headpiece on a regular basis) can't be acheived by the overwhelming use of military force.

Don't you lot believe me that a minor (under 16) can be legally married in the USA?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 04:20 pm
UNICEF is way beyond overmatched and "international law authorities"? Whoever that's supposed to be doesn't appear to be on top of it.

I found some interesting Statistics on UNICEF's website, though:
In the 59 armed conflicts (59? Shocked) that took place between 1990 and 2003, 3.6 million people died. Now, according to Doctors Without Borders, Kim Jong Il managed a like number all by himself, in half the time. Idea At least the hated U.S. didn't have a hand in it though, right?

And if you can't figure out the difference between the plight of the Mormon teen being allowed to marry and the victim of Islamic extremism being sold by daddy at 9 years old on your own, I doubt if any explanation I offer will suffice. Bad? Yep. On par? Please.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 04:24 pm
dlowan wrote:
Or bomb US cities - where many a 9 year old sex slave will be found.

Just like in ours, Stilly.
Do you really see no difference when "State Sponsored" is is added to the crime? Confused <shakes head>
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 04:46 pm
Certain parts of the LDS condone the forced marriage of girls as young as 14 to much older men - even if there is a familiar relationship (uncle/niece).

Quote:
Her principal "wrongdoing"? The girl said she'd run away from a husband she'd been forced to marry at the age of 15. David Ortell Kingston had made her his 15th wife; he is also her uncle.

John Daniel Kingston is a high-ranking member of the Kingston group, one of four large fundamentalist Mormon sects that practice polygamy, arranged marriages and, as in the runaway teen's case, sanctioned incest. (A lawyer for the Kingstons did not return NEWSWEEK's calls.)

The clan, which calls itself the Davis County Cooperative, has 1,500 members who live just outside the capital of Salt Lake City and run a $150 million business network. Authorities and ex-members say that girls as young as 14 are encouraged to get married, often to older men with many wives (they seek a civil marriage license only once; later brides are taken in private religious ceremonies).
Newsweek 8/10/98 Nation/The West: Secrets in the Desert
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 04:47 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Now, according to Doctors Without Borders, Kim Jong Il managed a like number all by himself, in half the time. Idea

After looking through both the French and English sites of Médecins Sans Frontières, I couldn't find anything, which would support that quotation.

(In an interview about her book "Condemned to Repeat? The Paradox of Humanitarian Action", MSF author Fiona Terry said that "Refugee testimonies suggest that three million people died from starvation and related illnesses in 1995-1998 alone" in North Korea.)

Could you please post your link?
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 05:00 pm
There is another point to the US as cop argument.

What about the US soldiers who have to risk their life in doing it? Even if it is a worthy cause, can you justify the loss of american lives when the conflict may not even affect USA?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 05:01 pm
It would be my pleasure, Walter. Though it appears you've already found it. (I wouldn't be surprised to learn it was you who turned me onto it in the first place).
Here.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 05:15 pm
I think it was your lead Walter, by way of Death Tolls for the Major Wars and Atrocities of the Twentieth Century. Sound familiar?

australia wrote:
There is another point to the US as cop argument.

What about the US soldiers who have to risk their life in doing it? Even if it is a worthy cause, can you justify the loss of american lives when the conflict may not even affect USA?
Absolutely yes, Australia. At the rate the world is getting smaller, no man or, eh, country is an island. Confused :wink:
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 07:22 pm
Quote:
Surely we have the muscle to eventually crush the will of the resistance.

Tell that to the Viet Cong.
Tell that to the French Underground
Tell that to the Irgun.
Tell that to Sons of Liberty.

====
Just so I'm clear, THE most important target of the US ought to be ..........
the marriage brokers of Iran, not the slave traders of the Sudan, not the rebels in Haiti or the Congo (in which conflict over 3 million people have been killed.), not the paranoid North Koreans with their nuclear weapons tucked under their arms, let me repeat that, NUCLEAR weapons???

You know who OBill reminds me of with this line of argument? Tom Dooley. DR. Tom Dooley, you may remember, wrote a number of heartrending books which appeared in the USA in the early sixties. See The Night They Burned the Mountain for the same kind of moral outrage masking what is the true motive for the outrage. Power, pure and simple, unadulterated. Oh my yes, attack with fury the purveyors of sexual injustice but keep in mind the chance that we are just looking for any chance to put down any Islamic opposition.

Joe (I was swept away when Dr. Tom appeared on the Tonite Show with Jack Paar) Nation
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 07:52 pm
Quote:
Surely we have the muscle to eventually crush the will of the resistance.

Quote:
Tell that to the Viet Cong.
Tell that to the French Underground
Tell that to the Irgun.
Tell that to Sons of Liberty.

yeah, that's what the Brits said once upon a time.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 07:59 pm
Don't put my name on that priority list Joe. I'm surprised you don't know North Korea tops my list. Did you miss the Doctors Without Borderslink I added a couple posts back? Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
Extrapolations from testimonies of refugees in China collected by local organizations suggest that up to three and a half million people might have died from starvation and related illnesses between 1995-1998 alone. Reports of deaths continue to permeate the border, although with less frequency now: the refugees say that the weakest have already died - the elderly, the young, and the sick - leaving less mouths to feed from the meager food available. Imagine the shock we will feel if we one day discover that there are not 23 million North Koreans as the government claims, but 15 million as some former government officials hiding in China suggest.

It's a short, worthwhile read. It is one of many that suggest Lil Kim is rapidly passing other fiends on the worst A-holes in history list.

Your "I want power and I hate Islam theory" applies to me even less. I have no more or less regard for Islam than I do Christianity... and the end result of my dream is the United States having no more pull than it's 5% population mandates.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:32 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Or bomb US cities - where many a 9 year old sex slave will be found.

Just like in ours, Stilly.
Do you really see no difference when "State Sponsored" is is added to the crime? Confused <shakes head>

Yes, Bill, I do -- however, do you see no problem with a fallible - many in the Islamic world, and elsewhere, would say morally deeply corrupt - country daring to appoint itself as the moral arbiter for the world?

Really - you have never answered a single one of my objections here, you know.

Have a go at that one, first - then, mebbe, address the moral bankruptcy of a county acting as a cop with NO right - look at my definition of cop. Apart from avoiding the question by rambling on about what naughty countries might mean by cop, you made no answer. Use country's definition of cop - unless you disagree with it. Any chance of justifying the US taking on such a role - unilaterally - with no law or control or answerability? Come on - REALLY think - just for a moment.

And then - actual, practical results - do you actually believe that your ideas, if a regime mad enough to try them were ever to occur in the USA, were acted upon, that the results would be good?

Just as a for instance - the fundamental Islamic regime you criticise in Iran largely came about as Iranians embraced Islamic fundamentalism as a POLITICAL act in outrage at the actions of the American/British installed Shah - after these countries conspired to oust the democratically elected leader of Iran, because they disapproved of certain actions he was taking which threatened the level of oil profits.

Thus - an act of the type you envisage helped lead to the current level of fundamentalist control in Iran.

Can you IMAGINE the chaos and reactions that such actions by the US would unleash when undertaken in a number of countries?????
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:42 pm
As a for instance - most civilized countries are appalled by America's persisting in murdering predominantly black young men in your country.

What say Europe, canada, Oz etc were to get together and attack you to install a civilised regime? Say we are strong enough to do so - you WILL be defeated militarily.

How would you guys react? Even those of you who also despise capital punishment?

Then - your country is handed to the Islamic countries, because they , of course, have far better morals than you do - their god says so - (just like the whatever that whispers in your ear that YOU know what is morally right for the whole world says stuff to you that you KNOW is true) - the Islamic folk re-establish the rule of god (just as you wish to establish the rule of democracy - your "thing" tells you that this is right).

How would Americans react?

And DON'T pull the "we are stronger - nobody can do that" "our dick/army is bigger" stuff - I am attempting to argue ethics here - you ARE stronger - for now - nobody is arguing (but you won't always be.)

Remember, the Islamists know - just as you do - that they are right - what they are doing is best for you, your country and the world.

What effect do you think such actions would have?????
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 12:17 am
Yikes, this got a little long on me, sorry. I think you'll find most of your questions answered though. :wink:

dlowan wrote:
Yes, Bill, I do -- however, do you see no problem with a fallible - many in the Islamic world, and elsewhere, would say morally deeply corrupt - country daring to appoint itself as the moral arbiter for the world?
D, you have a point with the death-penalty angle, NOT with our deep moral corruption. Complaints about individual's exercise of freewill cannot be given the same consideration as the human rights violations inherent in the consumation of marriage with a nine year old. When it comes to condemning this type of horror, the U.S shouldn't be standing as "the moral arbiter for the world". The U.S. should be standing as the teeth of the civilized world's body united against such crimes against humanity. I would have to agree that the U.S. isn't a perfect role model for anyone... and I'll acknowledge we've made dozens of credibility destroying mistakes in the past. All the more reason the U.N., not the U.S. should be leading the charge, and shaming all it's members into joining forces against the murderous oppressors of the world... not spending the last year carefully not using the term genocide for the genocide taking place in Sudan. I couldn't agree more that we're too arrogant and downright unlikable to be the face of change for some countries... but unfortunately no one else is stepping up to the plate.

Basic human rights and self-determination have to be reasonable, attainable goals for all of humankind. Assuming the contrary is the morally bankrupt position. Problems don't get solved by assuming they can't be.

dlowan wrote:
Really - you have never answered a sngl eone of my objections here, you know.
Yes, I know. When you agreed that it wasn't worth it, I didn't see the point in expending the energy, only to be ignored. It seems you've changed your mind, so I'll try my best to accomodate you.

dlowan wrote:
Have a go at that one, first - then, mebbe, address the moral bankruptcy of a county acting as a cop with NO right - look at my definition of cop. Apart from avoiding the question by rambling on about what naughty countries migh mean by cop, you made no answer. Use YOUR definition of cop/ Any chance of justifying the US taking on such a role - unilaterally - with no law or control or answerability/ Come on - REALLY think - just for a moment.
Answerability? Until such time as we are no longer the world's only superpower, answerability will be a polite facade, when we choose to play along. That's fact, not arrogance. It has been the same with every alpha nation and would be the same if any other nation were on top today. Look how Chirac behaves despite his nation's glory days as alpha being long gone for good. I submit, we may be no better but we're certainly no worse than any previous alpha.

Aside from that, I don't agree that we did anything unilaterally. We pointed out an outlaw regime, stated he was not in compliance with his obligations, announced our intention to remove him from power, invited other countries to second-etc. our findings (adding all the legitimacy we needed, in my book), and then went ahead and did what we said we were going to do. 50,000 pages of debate here couldn't find common ground on that, so don't let's try it ourselves, eh? Suffice to say the leaders of many nations fall on each side of the argument.

dlowan wrote:
And then - actual, practical results - do you actually believe that your ideas, if a regime mad enough to try it, were ever to occur in the USA, were acted upon that the results would be good?
Yes Dlowan, I do. I fully believe that if a regime were mad enough to try it, it would work. It seems whenever the left takes a break from denying Iraqis are capable of hosting a civilized democracy for themselves, they default to the bi-partisan position that it is imperative that we succeed in Iraq, at least now that the damage is done. IF we do indeed succeed there, we will have succeeded at many things.
A. Succeeded at proving a ME country can sustain a civilized democracy on their own.
B. Succeeded at proving that the United States will not give up in the face of adversity.
C. Succeeded at proving we are not out to steal oil, or any other propagandized nonsense.
D. Succeeded at proving that we are NOT out to colonize or otherwise take over the sovereignty of any nation.
E. Succeeded at proving that the life of the average Iraqi citizens improve from self-determination.
Credibility? What better way is there to obtain it? IF we succeed here, I believe our next target for improvement would be met with:
A. Less resistance from forces outside and inside alike… as the propaganda will be a tougher sell.
B. Attract assistance from MORE civilized nations, as our intentions will be easier to accept.
As I've pointed out on other threads, my plan would be two-pronged… the carrot and the stick. While our military is raining down inevitably on the forces of murderous despots, those who choose to comply by enforcing basic human rights standards and allowing for self-determination will be rewarded with preferred trade status as our allies, and not be left out like our enemies. Yes, D, I think it would work… and in fact get easier and easier as we progressed.

dlowan wrote:
Just as a for instance - the fundamental Islamic regime you criticise in Iran largely came about as Iranians embraced Islamic fundamentalism as a POLITICAL act in outrage at the actions of the American/British installed Shah - after these countries conspired to oust the democratically elected leader of Iran, because they disapproved of certain actions he was taking which threatened the level of oil profits.

Thus - an act of the type you envisage helped lead to the current level of fundamentalist control in Iran.
Not true. Your history is fair enough, but my plan of freeing them from oppression, after providing a shining example next door shouldn't be interpreted as another installation of a puppet regime. Is it impossible for you to swallow the idea that the U.S. could figure out that assisting currently hostile people to freedom really is in our best interest? It is. Our economy, security and even our politicians ability to collect special interest money will only improve by freeing more of the world's citizens. It's the next great frontier!

dlowan wrote:
Can you IMAGINE the chaos and reactions that such actions by the US would unleash when undertaken in a number of countries?????
I agree that our credibility needs to improve before we expand our efforts. Where we differ, is I think the results of our current aggression will improve our credibility. Keep in mind too, that the only thing bigger than our carrot is our stick. (Again, that's fact, not arrogance.) Both can be extremely effective.

Moving to your next page:

dlowan wrote:
As a for instance - most civilized countries are appalled by America's persisting in murdering predominantly black young men in your country.
Considering how much more likely your indigenous population is to be behind bars, I wouldn't get too indignant. This is a strong argument but, I don't think anyone should be 1/10th as worried about barbarism towards the guilty as they are barbarism towards the innocent. And when it comes to true scum, like this Peterson fella, for instance, the protective custody of Death Row will likely keep him alive longer than his peers would have in general pop. Both this issue and abortion can be reasonably described as murder or even barbarism, depending on one's point of view. At least with capital punishment, great pains are taken in an attempt to insure the condemned is guilty. I have no answer for a culture that considers abortion murder. Do you? Again, I'm forced to redirect to the center… basic human rights are a bigger issue than either.

dlowan wrote:
What say Europe, canada, Oz etc were to get together and attack you to install a civilised regime? Say we are strong enough to do so - you WILL be defeated militarily. . .

How would you guys react? Even those of you who also despise capital punishment?
Assuming you want me to pretend we wouldn't paddle your collective ass… I imagine there would be some applause, some murderous rage and a healthy percentage of people who wouldn't really give a rat's ass if it didn't affect them directly.

dlowan wrote:
Then - your country is handed to the Islamic countries, because they , of course, have far better morals than you do - their god says so - just like the whatever that whispers in your ear that YOU know what is morally right for the whole world says to you - the Islamic folk re-establish the rule of god (just as you wish to establish the rule of democracy - your "thing" tells you that this is right).

How would Americans react?
Here it becomes impossible to play along any further, Dlowan, because the answer is irrelevant. You cannot compare delivering self-determination to the brutally oppressed to taking self-determination away. It's unfair to ask me to assemble your Strawman for you.

My "thing" isn't a book full of absurdities that I expect others to believe in or else. My "thing" is a demand that all people be allowed to decide their "thing" for themselves. Basic human rights and self-determination is all I expect from anyone. No more, no less. If you can come up with a hypothetical that will parallel that, I'll gladly play along. But, no parallel can be drawn by juxtaposing self-determination with oppression. That just doesn't work.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 12:49 am
dlowan wrote:
Leaving aside the morality and the - frankly terrifying - notion of a US drunk with power and self-importance trying to blunder about as a moral arbiter and enforcer in one - (sadly with such governments as my own current one wandering about as a sort of mini-me companion) - I was surprised by Craven's opinion. Be interesting to hear more...

The US is not really a moral arbitrator nor is it a global cop. The US is a modern superpower that believes in projection of power and that recognizes the effects of economic contagion.

While I can think of better scenarios it's not something I think worthy of your terror.

Quote:
I had believed your military to be already over-stretched and unhappy?

I think this has been exagerrated very much.

Quote:

This opinion seems to have been expressed by others here - and I have been, myself, wondering if the US's time in the imperial sun (or merciless glare, depending on how you look at it) - was likely to be much shortened by this, compared with more conventional empires, like the Roman, or British, or Austro-Hungarian, for instance?

I don't think the US empire's demise is anywhere near.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 01:53 am
China will be the one of the huge super powers. What is their attitude towards islam? I bet there are not many muslims living in China.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 02:10 am
australia wrote:
I bet there are not many muslims living in China.

That's correct: only about 30 million, 3% of the population. (Although official figures say there are more than 20 million Muslims in China - about 1.5% of the population.)
0 Replies