Stuck between a rock and a hard place...

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2017 03:38 pm
So I have been part of a sorority for two and a half years now and only recently began to realize that it doesn't align with my Christian ideals what with it being a secret society and having "secret rituals" and all (not that I took any of these seriously). In fact, I only signed up to be in the sorority because I could not afford any other housing on my campus. Since I only recently realized that due to the rituals and secrecy it is a sin to be involved in it I want to go confess it as soon as possible. The only problem is that I still have to be in the sorority for another few months until I graduate otherwise I won't have any other place to live and won't be able to finish my degree. Would it be wrong to confess it and then not resign my membership for another few months until I graduate? Or does confession call for you to resign such things immediately? On the other hand, I really don't want to wait until I graduate to go to confession... that's four months. I really don't know what to do.
Additionally, I suffer from Religious OCD... so please let me know if it just seems like I am worrying myself over nothing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,426 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2017 08:17 pm
@dazedandconfused1,
I understand your situation, in that I was very religious, long ago, very worried what was a sin or not, though not involved in sorority rituals (no way I could afford joining a sorority, but I wasn't interested anyway.) I would call myself back then as being "scrupulous". I knew I was scrupulous. OCD wasn't an acronym I knew then.

Do you have a religious counselor? I probably recommend you see one from your religion choice.

I am not religious now, but I remember my extreme worrying, similar to yours.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2017 01:04 pm
@dazedandconfused1,
Wait until you graduate. You already understand the issues. We don't approve of many things in our society that we cannot change, and accept it. Most of us are not Ghandi or Martin Luther King. Just vote for equality when ever you can.
0 Replies