Perhaps americans are stupid...

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 10:49 am
Geography is everywhere: weather forecasts, newspapers, news broadcasts, travelling (even small distances) there are subway maps, world maps, road maps, bus route maps, mapquest. It isn't just some long ago subject that was taught to people over the age of 40 but has no meaning in todays world.

The thing that gets me is that 1 in 10 couldn't find the US on a map. Even if you take their country of origin into account, those are some serious numbers. the survey stated that 93% of Swedes could find the US... that is a better percentage than the US citezens themselves. The Pacific Ocean?... we're not talking about small out of the news countries that nobody has ever heard of... these are HUGE masses of land and water.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 10:51 am
panzade wrote:
I think I just proved something....duh

You may have missed the link panz... but you at least asked for it and took the time to find out where the info was coming from...

by the way, panz ... A2K isn't the same without your usual witty posts... I hope you get back to your past high levels of involvement... I enjoy reading what you have to say.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 10:52 am
Quote:
The thing that gets me is that 1 in 10 couldn't find the US on a map. Even if you take their country of origin into account, those are some serious numbers.

Especially considering how easy the US is to spot, unlike, say, Belarus.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 10:58 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Quote:
The thing that gets me is that 1 in 10 couldn't find the US on a map. Even if you take their country of origin into account, those are some serious numbers.

Especially considering how easy the US is to spot, unlike, say, Belarus.

Yeah... it's such a speck on the map. No distinct shape either... Rolling Eyes

It amazes me.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 11:02 am
It's funny, but back in the '70s I was hitching in No. California, trying to get back to Oregon, when a younger dude gave me a ride. He asked where I was from and I said NY. "That's near Florida, isn't it?"

At the time I thought he was pretty clueless, but now I realize he was closer than a lot of kids would be today. He had the coast right, at least...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 11:04 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
cavfancier wrote:
jp, I have to take issue with your assertion that the bigger problem is "a generation of lazy, unmotivated people who expect everything to be given to them." I do think there are a lot of people who are like that, but you have made a sweeping generalization about US society, based on a few statistics most likely based on a relatively small number of people.

Actually I've made sweeping generalizations about the US society based off of my experiences with said generation... and granted it isn't like this everywhere but after moving to Wisconsin I was amazed at the amount of people that have NEVER read a book unless it was required by school. Even then they would do the cliffnotes version. This sin't simply the school system failing them it is an unwilliness to learn.

But point taken about generalizations.

That is pretty amazing jp. It's hard for me to grasp, having grown up in an urban centre with good schools, with a family of professionals for whom education was absolutely key. My father continued the practice of his father of encouraging us to look something up when we had questions. The experience of doing that was indeed more rewarding than if we had been spoon-fed the answers. My mother has been an academic all her life. Her mother was a champion debater.

I think you might be on to something, but I'm just wondering why this unwillingness to learn is so prevalent these days, and I maintain that it is a complicated issue. You can blame the media, social conventions i.e. it's not 'cool' to read, go to school or do homework, or you could blame urban decay, and the crap kids go through at school these days, with increasing violence and peer pressure, but ultimately, it's a combination of many things.

As a young 'un, I played viola in the high school orchestra. We went on an annual trip to America, different cities each year, to play at other schools. I had the wake-up call of my life when we went to New York and played at a school with armed guards and metal detectors. The odd thing was, the students were fantastic, and loved the show. We spent time with them, they showed us around the city, and were great kids in general.

A few years later, I read that the principal of that school was stomped to death in the cafeteria. Still, those kids we played for, I'm sure some went on to do great things. IMO, the strength of a nation depends on the few who do try.

It's also possible that the students who couldn't find the US on a map probably assumed that the entire map was the property of the US, so they got confused. :wink: What amazes me, just from observation on A2K, is how so few students know how to use Google. I happen to have relatives from Belarus FreeDuck, so that was pretty funny. Apologies in advance for the length of this post.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 11:07 am
Thanks jpn...what I have to say just isn't witty anymore...
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 11:54 am
Cav... you are so right about it being many different factors. One thing I have come to realize is that almost nothing is black and white. So many things are intertwined so tightly in todays world that sometimes I wonder if it is to late to do anything about.

My mother was a learning/behavior disability teacher for many many years. She spent much of that time teaching 2nd graders from low income housing projects... not inner city but they often refered to this particular project as "little cabrini"... as in Cabrini Green which is a horrible housing project in Chicago.

One thing that gives me hope, is that, almost across the board, these young children want to learn. She has story after story of these kids, many of which are living with a grandparent, who do everything to get to school and learn. From leaving for school an hour early to walk there becasue they don't have a ride to scraping pennies off of the sidewalk to pay for a field trip that the class is taking. She tries to instill in them the importance of learning and place the responsibility on themselves to do it... and many of these kids do it all themselves.

Almost as universal as their hunger for learning, is the lack of a support system for these kids. Parents who do not care or simply are not there. Grandparents can only do so much... and once these kids grow up a little more they have to deal with the peer pressure and drugs and an image and crime... and there is nobody there to help keep them on track.

Sadly, I don't know what the answer is... I think it starts at home, though. Your parents instilled in you the importance of learning, and, I think most importantly, taught you how to do it yourself. It takes a lot of help to raise children... you need good teachers, good schools, good friends... but good parents, IMO, trumps all of that.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 11:57 am
I forgot to add the medical factor... she has seen a ton of drooling vegetables that are so doped up on ADD and depression medicine it is no wonder they are having learning problems. But I think this comes back to personal responsibility... "It's not my fault my kids a raving lunatic who can't control his actions... he has ADD... can we have some drugs?"
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 11:59 am
panzade wrote:
Thanks jpn...what I have to say just isn't witty anymore...

Well, even if you don't think it is witty, I still value your opinion and hope to hear more from you.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 12:01 pm
jp, really good thread. I don't have anything to add, just liked your above posts.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 12:04 pm
Thanks FD... I really wasn't expecting it to turn into this type of a discussion when I first posted it but I am glad that it did.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 12:24 pm
I keep thinking of things to add...

This problem isn't confined to low income areas... the rich and middle class have the same problem but for different reasons.

Think atheletes who are given free rides simply because they can throw a football. Or the kids of powerful influential people who might get a pass because of who their parents are... or the parents use their power to get their kids a pass.

Another problem is that power has been taken away from the school. My father was also a teacher who actually disciplined the kids. He would make kids run laps or, his favorite, make the kid grab an encycolpedia and hold it straight out in front of them until they couldn't hold it any more. If they grabbed a small volume he made them grab two. His principal always supported him.

But soon people started suing and soon teachers and school officials were scared to discipline the kids. It is never "my kids fault"... it is always some one elses kid, or the teacher, or the system or the books or the cereal that they ate that morning. You can't even look at a kid funny anymore... it is no wonder things are getting out of control.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 12:28 pm
Yeah, I notice a lot of parent teacher conflicts with my sister and her middle school aged daughter. My kids aren't in school yet, but I can't imagine deriding my kid's teacher behind her back but in front of my kid. It totally sends the signal to disrespect the teacher and that there is nothing to be learned in her classroom. I'm not saying I wouldn't stand up for my kid if a teacher was doing something really bad to him, but I sure as hell wouldn't do it in front of him unless I was prepared to remove him from the school.

This country needs an education renaissance, and how! Do you know those posters that Apple Computer used to put out. I think it was the 'think different' campaign. We need a national one of those.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 12:35 pm
You make some interesting points jp. The US is becoming too litigious, and sometimes, yes, it is your kid's fault.

Now, my high school was pretty much rich and middle class. One year we had so many suicides due to parental pressure for the kids to do well, the principal felt the need to hold a school-wide suicide intervention program.

Sometimes discipline can go too far. However, I also agree that 'PC' has gone way too far as well.

Mmm, I just noticed FreeDuck's post. My mother now heads up a program out of town, and has had nothing but grief trying to get the teachers there to actually be proactive about how they TEACH! It seems they just don't care all that much, because they have tenure.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 12:52 pm
Teachers are another problem. I remember in my senior senior year my college algebra teacher told us on the first day of class that he would be busy all semester trying to get his doctorate so if we had any problems we should try to figure it out ourselves first, go to some one else second, and go only to him as a last resort... that is the kind of dedication our kids do not need.

Question for you cav... what were the parents pressuring their kids about? Was it academic, sports, a combination of both? Crazy parents who accept nothing less than perfection are equally dangerous as those who don't care... but there has to be a happy medium. My parents always taught me to work hard and do the best I could. If I failed they wouldn't berate me for failing but help me figure out why I failed and how to succeed in the future.

Same with discipline. I remember every spanking when I was little was preceded with an explanation of why I was being punished and always follwed by an "I love you and it hurt me to do that but do you understand why I had to do that?"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:14 pm
jp, the pressure was mostly regarding academics. Sports were not a priority at our school. I understand it's much more important in the US. I do live in an area with many such 'crazy' parents as well, who do their kids more harm than good.

I also had some terrible teachers in college. I remember taking a 6 credit (full year) course on Yeats, and the professor wanted to do nothing but get the students to parrot the thesis he was working on. One year, one assignment....an essay on Yeats, according to him.

I was interested in the mystical elements of Yeats, and he told me he thought it was complete 'bull'. Well, I researched, referenced, and wrote. He ended up giving me an 'A', partly because I think he had no clue what I was talking about, but it was a solid essay. I suppose that's a good argument for "rugged individualism".

I agree, there should be a happy medium when it comes to discipline and education. Sadly, it is lacking in today's society. This goes back to my earlier point regarding individuals being the backbone of a nation. Those who want to learn seek out the individuals who can help them.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:39 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Geography is everywhere: weather forecasts, newspapers, news broadcasts, travelling (even small distances) there are subway maps, world maps, road maps, bus route maps, mapquest. It isn't just some long ago subject that was taught to people over the age of 40 but has no meaning in todays world.

The thing that gets me is that 1 in 10 couldn't find the US on a map. Even if you take their country of origin into account, those are some serious numbers. the survey stated that 93% of Swedes could find the US... that is a better percentage than the US citezens themselves. The Pacific Ocean?... we're not talking about small out of the news countries that nobody has ever heard of... these are HUGE masses of land and water.

This is pretty awful, jp,... those statistics really were taken from kids who had (supposedly) been taught by American schools. I do know that my kids (20 & 21) had what I thought was a less than adequate education in a school district considered one of the best in this state. They started out OK in elementary school, but by fifth grade I was augmenting their education with other programs (science mainly) as well as our own family discussions and readings about history, art and literature. Their middle school and high school had some real failings, too, though there were also some excellent teachers.

I'm not sure if it is drugged students, lack of discipline, apathetic teachers or all of the above and more. I do know that there was an English teacher in my kids' middle school who sent us a handout that was so full of grammatical and spelling errors, it could hardly be read and understood. I'd had it with this guy who had made several mistakes while "correcting" my kid's papers. I used to be a technical writer so I don't have a lot of sympathy for English teachers who don't know their subject. I corrected his handout and sent it back.

He was offended as you might imagine, but there were ten or more blatant errors on each page -- bad spellings, incorrect subject-verb agreements, incomplete sentences, poor use of words... the lot. Later that year, the district itself distributed a six-page report on their activities that appeared to have been written by that same teacher. I'm sure I counted fifty errors; it may have been twice that. We decided to correct it and sent it back, as did several other parents. We were told that this published report was mistakenly printed using a draft copy. Uh-huh. About a month later, they sent the final draft. It still had some mistakes but not enough to complain about, I guess. If these are the people who are teaching our kids and they can't get it right themselves... what kind of education is this?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:57 pm
Piffka wrote:
...my kids (20 & 21) had what I thought was a less than adequate education in a school district considered one of the best in this state. They started out OK in elementary school, but by fifth grade I was augmenting their education with other programs (science mainly) as well as our own family discussions and readings about history, art and literature. Their middle school and high school had some real failings, too, though there were also some excellent teachers.

Congrats on taking such an active role in your childrens lives. I think if more parents did that many of the problems today would clear themselves up. My parents home schooled my brother and me for two years and I learned so much more than I (think) I would have in a public school.

Piffka wrote:
I'm not sure if it is drugged students, lack of discipline, apathetic teachers or all of the above and more.

I vote... all of the above and more.

Piffka wrote:
I do know that there was an English teacher in my kids' middle school who sent us a handout that was so full of grammatical and spelling errors, it could hardly be read and understood. I'd had it with this guy who had made several mistakes while "correcting" my kid's papers. I used to be a technical writer so I don't have a lot of sympathy for English teachers who don't know their subject. I corrected his handout and sent it back....If these are the people who are teaching our kids and they can't get it right themselves... what kind of education is this?

Good for you... I would have loved to see his face when he opened up that letter and saw his own corrected paper. Bad teachers a a real problem. I think part of this ties into what Freeduck said earlier:

Quote:
there is a certain cultural disdain for education in this country.

Teaching isn't a glamorous job. You work long hard hours for decent pay (of course some teachers get paid more than others) with little or no recognition. There is no motivation for smart, dedicated people to go into teaching when they could use their talents elsewhere for more money and more fame. I don't know if raising teachers salaries would be good enough motivation. We need to make learning "cool."
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 02:22 pm
I wonder when teaching became viewed with such disdain in the country. It has been that way since at least the pioneer days, when parents would hire & fire one-room schoolhouse teachers.

There were considered to be not smart enough to own and run the farms and often were characterized as lazy, sickly &/or odd.
0 Replies