Whats the ' one thing' that makes us diffrent from animals?

Lucifer

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 06:26 am
Love? I learned that critters are not conscious of who they choose for their mates. Are we?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 06:30 am
Murder.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 08:26 am
Murder - depends on how you define it. I once read something about a research of a group of gorillas. When a new male took over the group, he actually killed one of the babies at it was not his. I guess if you consider it not murder as it is instinctive
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 08:31 am
ehBeth wrote:
Does any other critter regret having sex with another, inappropriate, critter?
Does any other critter care if the critter partner thought the sex was good?

Dolphins.

Dolphins have sex forpleasure, show jealousy when thier partner or desired partner has sex with another dolphin AND show aggression twords other large sea creatures that could possibly pose a sexual threat to them.
Dolphins have been seen in sexual positions with other sea creatures asides other dolphins though NOT PROVEN they were engaged in the act of sex.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 09:02 am
shewolfnm wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

Dolphins.

Dolphins have sex forpleasure, show jealousy when thier partner or desired partner has sex with another dolphin AND show aggression twords other large sea creatures that could possibly pose a sexual threat to them.
Dolphins have been seen in sexual positions with other sea creatures asides other dolphins though NOT PROVEN they were engaged in the act of sex.

Idea for a new movie? :wink: Twisted Evil
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 09:22 am
Kristie wrote:

Idea for a new movie? :wink: Twisted Evil

Shocked

I've seen a documentary on the National Geographic the other day about this. They did manage to catch a dolphin getting jiggy with it with a different dolphin subspecies. If conceived, the baby would be unable to procreate. Interesting stuff.

edit: National Geographic channel, that is.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 04:08 pm
Lucifer wrote:
Love? I learned that critters are not conscious of who they choose for their mates.

I don't understand this. What do you mean?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 04:12 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Dolphins.

but do they regret it? do they ask if the sex was good? do they try to improve things? do they really CARE in their deepest heart of hearts.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 04:14 pm
Animals don't circumcise their young.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 04:17 pm
Good, Panzade. Animals don't mutilate their bodies in rituals.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 04:22 pm
I;m willing to bet they do.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 05:25 pm
Example?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 05:29 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

Dolphins.

But if a dolphin becomes displeasured because it's partner has sex with another dolphin do they retain attorneys and argue custody and property rights? Because otherwise they can't really be civilized or human like.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 05:31 pm
Honestly, I can't think of one. I would just be very surprised if there aren't any animals like that.

Maybe some type of termites that blind workers so they can't escape, or beavers that grind their teeth on rocks, or spiders where the female rips of the legs of the male.

Doesn't that just sound liek stuff animals would do?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 06:48 pm
Some of this discussion reminds me vaguely of the Turing Test, which is intended to differentiate between machines and humans.

As machines get faster and more complex, it is getting harder and harder to tell the difference between humans and machines in a communication interaction.

Surprisingly, even though we are animals, it seems easier to tell the difference between a human and an (non-human) animal, than it does to tell the difference between human and machine.

I don't know of any animals, besides us, which can communicate with us sufficiently to pass themselves off as human, even briefly. Yet computers can do this.

It would seem that one of the easiest differences between us and other animals is in our ability to communicate, even if that is only to a matter of degree. Perhaps it will always be "the matter of degree" which matters in every measurement.
0 Replies

IrisDawn

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 06:58 pm
culture makes humans unique and religion
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 06:59 pm
Agreed on the matter of degree. To me intelligence is the most noticable factor (everything else seems to be a byproduct). But the degree to which we are more intelligent than animals, or the degree of our potential to be more intelligent is extreme.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 11:45 pm
Yes, human intellect is strong enough to conceive of the illusion of a self traveling in time, and foolish enough to put its own body in danger for the sake of that illusion. That's called ego, and I believe man is the only animal with an ego.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:25 am
The differences are physical, and it goes like this: monkeys have useful hands, apes are like monkeys without tails, and humans are like apes except we have chins.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:33 am
And jacuzzis.
0 Replies