Whats the ' one thing' that makes us diffrent from animals?

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 11:29 am
Squinny, Humans communicate using symbols (arbitrary meaning) while all other species communicate using signs (fixed meaning). For example blushing.
for all other animals this would have only one meaning (probably anger) but humans can:
1) blush with shame
2) blush with anger
3) blush with pleasure

We have to figure out the meaning of the blush from the context of the situation. Other species can negotiate,; using presentation ie posture, sound ie screaming or cooing, space advancing or retreating are some examples. But it is much less complex than human negotiation and generally has to do with status, and/or group membership. Chimps are particularly complex with this for a non human species. Other species will also cooperate but I know of no species that will plan ahead to cooperate. This involves displacement, that is communicating about events that have not yet occurred, have occurred elsewhere out of our presence, or have occurred in the past. As far as I am aware, only humans can do this.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 11:32 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I kind of saw them as different, though I do see the process of continually making things more efficient as being a sign of intelligence.

I'll have to think about that.

In my mind, the desire/ability to make things easier falls under the ' comprehension of the word why"

BECAUSE.. we at one point started asking our selves.. Why carry this boulder up the hill ? ( example ) so.. we invented something to carry it on..
The invention again stimulated more ' why' questions and more inventions were created...
Does that make sence?
It is just my thought in a nut shell. Im not going into BIG scientific explainations/theory etc.. so if i have lost ya.. im sorry. I can always reword my statements.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Welcome Back Bear !!!!!! Very Happy Smile Very Happy Smile Very Happy Smile
0 Replies

superjuly

squinney wrote:
To add to what Acquiunck said, do other animals negotiate? They may compromise, get their way by size/ force/ intimidation, but can they negotiate in the sense of what humans do in order to buy a car or a house? Can they negotiate in their own language something like, "Okay, you gather the sticks and I'll stick them in the logs for a delicious termit dinner?

Sorta builds on the language / communication / intellegence comparison, but is more complex for the purpose of finding a primary difference.

Quote:
Co-operative relationships
Not all relationships between different species are competitive or threatening. Some are of benefit to one or both participants, as in the symbiosis (living together) of anemonefishes and sea anemones, or prawn-gobies that share the burrows of blind prawns. Long-term partnerships and temporary liaisons are many and varied on a coral reef. One that most coral fishes cannot do without is the relationship with cleaners: chiefly certain small Indo-Pacific wrasses and Caribbean gobies, and also some shrimps, these perform a useful service by eating external parasites and dead or diseased skin. Cleaning stations are plentiful on a healthy reef and mostly serve a wide range of fish clients, although large oceanic visitors such as sharks and manta rays may have their own specific sites.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 01:33 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Everything in our world has a name and an attached meaning. As a result we live in a web of meanings not the natural world. This is our special environmental niche and we have been very successful in it.

Loren Eiseley agrees with you on this. In a chapter of his book, _The Immense Journey_, Eiseley called Man the "Dream Animal" for exactly this reason.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 01:39 pm
That sounds like an excellent read Ros.
I want to go look that book up . Is it an easy title to find?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 01:41 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
That sounds like an excellent read Ros.
I want to go look that book up . Is it an easy title to find?

It is a truely excellent read, I recommend Eiseley's writing highly. I included an exerpt from one of his stories online here a while back...

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16748&highlight=
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 01:44 pm
By the way, I posted a similar question to this thread a while back, and this was Cicerone's answer:
cicerone imposter wrote:
I don't think homo sapiens are the only animal that takes drugs to "feel" good. As for uniquely human behavior, we're the only ones that worships a god we can't see nor hear.

My suggestion was a sense of humor.

The thread is here: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13660&highlight=
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 02:44 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
It is more than just vocabulary. But language (the rules that create it and make it useful) are a good model for how it works.

Yes, grammar, as far as I know we're the only species with grammar.
0 Replies

Deep

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 02:47 pm
Imagination?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 02:55 pm
Fur?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 02:56 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Loren Eiseley agrees with you on this.

Loren Eiseley was an anthropologist, Phd University of Pennsylvania.

http://www.eiseley.unomaha.edu/biography.htm
0 Replies

Snoe

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 03:18 pm
Well, this topic would be easier if we distinguished ourselves as either part metaphysical (soul, mind, etc.) or as purely physical. Since it seems we're on the basis of purely physical heres my few bits:

1. Our intelligence level, of course. This is in the sense of many things. We have the ability to comprehend logic and advanced problem solving methods. We are incredibly algorithmic. To the extent that we could never be recreated by a computer or anything else of the sort. This is especially apparent in our ability to create and comprehend mathematics.

2. Our innate prioritization. Our ability to comprehend and think for ourselves, somehow, in my opinion, allows us to prioritize our knowledge over much of our instinct. This is not always necessarily true, but this is especially apparent in ethics. Although there is the occassional dog that runs in to save a baby from a burning fire (I know you have your stories) we can do it consistently and with reason. Likewise, for example, if we were to be starving, we would know how and why to divide up our food at different times, instead of being overtaken by the compulsion to just eat. Our intelligence and experience is prioritized, in many circumstances, over innate instincts and feelings.

3. Pattern recognition and imaginative understanding. We have extremely complex pattern recognition abilities. You ever had that experience, where you think you look at the clock the same time everyday? Well you most likely weren't, you probably look at the clock different times everyday, but your mind is constantly hunting for patterns, and if you look at it twice in a row, or say, 4 times in one week, at the same time, it'll let you know. Imaginitive understanding again is important. We have the ability to mentally process things that we have no experience of. Language, ideally, should portray what we mean. Sadly, it does not (read Wittgenstein).

For example:

"My arm is in pain." Ideally, you should not be able to understand that sentence unless your arm has been in pain. Or, if it was a much more amazing language, it would actually create pain in your arm, or give you the immediate understanding of what's attempted to be portrayed.

However, instead we can imaginitively process. We know the definition of those words, and can apply them through our logic. Likewise, if I've had pain in my leg, I can imagine what pain in my arm might be like.

Pattern recognition and imaginitive understanding combined can be apparent in superstition, and religion (no offense). You find a coin tails up, and have a bad day. One week later, it repeats. You see the pattern, tails up coin picked up= bad day. Hence, superstition. You see a pattern and imagine what it means and why it is.

I'm sure there are many more, but I don't think people would keep reading Razz.

Best wishes,
Theo
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 06:31 pm
I would say intelligence and Potential. Very similar to what superjuly said.

Understanding cause and effect is not a defining characteristic. Meaning, there are animals which demonstrate an understanding of physics, consequence, and even indentity.

So the main difference I see is intelligence. From a religious standpoint, I would also have to say that we differ because we are children of God.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 10:12 pm
The perception of time. Man is the only animal that worries about the future or regrets the past.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 10:17 pm
Does any other critter regret having sex with another, inappropriate, critter?
Does any other critter care if the critter partner thought the sex was good?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 10:43 pm
It seems that we have a lot of differences from other animals. But what is the simplest and most quintessential difference?
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 11:05 pm
That we can think about thinking.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 11:09 pm
Linkat mentioned fur a few post ago, which brought me to reflect that among all the critters, only humans shave.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 04:35 am
EhBeth is on the right track.

spendius.
0 Replies