Whats the ' one thing' that makes us diffrent from animals?

binnyboy

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 12:34 pm
Can you really ask if they are conscious? Or must you ask, "how conscious are they?"
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 04:15 pm
The greatest difference between humans and other animals is our capacity to philosophize, and to develop truly bizarre philosophies. The Cynics of ancient Greece used to never bathe on principle (to express their social independence) and masturbate in public to really get that principle across. Once while masturbating in the marketplace Diogenes, the Cynic said "I wish it was as easy to relieve hunger by rubbing an empty stomach."
He was once asked why he was begging a statue for a handout. He answered "For practice in getting turned down."
No other animal is capable of that.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 06:08 pm
My word, JL., and all this time I thought the only thing that Greek did was walk around with a lantern looking for an honest man.

Now had he looked for an honest WOMAN, he would have had no need to be in the agora with a stone cold statue, begging or anything else. Razz

Animals cannot self actualize,
They only feed primary drives.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 06:26 pm
Letty, and only humans can disagree about abstract issues. Laughing

BTW, I understand that Diogenes was looking for "honest" men who admitted to masturbation. They became made up his philososphical school.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 06:50 pm
Heh!Heh! Love it, JL.

Nor can animals write poetry:

Abstract, concrete all comprise,
The love of telling honest lies.

The school of thought is
As they say, the idiom of
The by the way.

The metaphor of dualism,
The sweetness of dark mysticism.

Don't ask me how they create puppy mills.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 07:06 pm
Letty, Don't forget; men still don't ask for directions when lost. That will never change for humans. Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 07:10 pm
Here's the point: While on the ship in Antarctica, I saw a lady rubbing the front portion of Rudolf Nureyev's statue on the back deck, so I asked if she was molesting it. She said, "he's not responding!"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 07:30 pm
C.I. Welcome back from the iceberg cruise. Nureyev you say? Hmmm. does he compare to David?

and you are right on target. Men never ask, period.

But....

Birds do it,
Bees do it,
Even educated fleas do it.

Oh, my. We're back to primary drives again.

and then quite suddenly, genetically engineered creatures change the face of things.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:10 pm
I ask directions very easily. I've never understood the reluctance. I'm a man, not a compass.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:19 pm
but, but, but, JL. I thought all Buddhists lied to save face.

Now I'm off to watch Pompeii. It is going to be really, really good.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:33 pm
Lie? Moi? (blush)
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:53 pm
Letty wrote:
Now I'm off to watch Pompeii. It is going to be really, really good.

How was Pompeii? I already know how it ends, so don't worry, you can't spoil it Wink
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:29 pm
rosborne, you funny thing. As a matter of fact it was an excellent reenactment. I found many discrepancies from the original account that I read by Silverberg. I had no idea that Pliny the elder stood and watched and instantly died. It was Pliny the younger who left the eyewitness accounts.

Nor did I realize that scientists filled the impressions left by the ash and pumice with plaster to make a sort of time capsule of the bodies.

Another amazing thing is that the pompeiians had no idea Vesuvius was a volcano.

I had always thought that carbon monoxide killed the Pompeiians, when it was actually pyrocrastics ( I think that's the spelling)

The fate of Herculean was swifter. Excuse me if I tumble over the words, but I love discussing these things.

(whew!)

Hey, JL. Sorry I made you blush. <smile>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:39 pm
P.S. and to keep this on topic, the animals and the human animals all died together...no difference there. If anyone is interested:

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/pompeii/index.html

Great site!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:47 pm
Letty wrote:
P.S. and to keep this on topic, the animals and the human animals all died together...no difference there.

That's interesting. A lot of animals escaped the recent Tsunami, and you would think a volcano would be preceeded by more warning signs than a Tsunami.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:57 pm
ros, they just depicted the ones that died. That was my way of placating that lovely shewolf.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:57 pm
Was there a difference in the behavior of wild animals and pets? Wild animals might be more inclined to flee to higher ground, while pets would tend to stay with the masters who feed them. Don't recall where I heard that.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:00 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Was there a difference in the behavior of wild animals and pets? Wild animals might be more inclined to flee to higher ground, while pets would tend to stay with the masters who feed them. Don't recall where I heard that.

Probably on one of the Tsunami reports, which is where I heard it. Apparently wild animals fared better than domestic ones because the domestic ones tended to stay with their owners (especially the dogs).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:01 pm
JL, unfortunately, that aspect of the dramatization was not covered. Should it have been, I'm certain that we would find that you are spot on.

The only thing that I saw was a dog.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 11:02 pm
Thanks, rosborne. Now I can sleep tonight.
0 Replies