Attitudes towards different languages in music

Nik16

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 06:01 am
I'm doing a project relating to attitudes towards different languages in music, and am interested in people's responses to the following questions:

1) Which languages do you like to hear in music?

These could be languages you personally like the sound of, or that you think create a certain 'feel', or whatever other reason/s you may have (please explain). Examples are welcome.

2) Which languages do you NOT like to hear in music, and why?

If you could also tell me your own native language and any other languages you speak, that would be really helpful.

I've also been talking to bands/songwriters who are native speakers of English but who also sing in other languages, so if that applies to you (or you're bilingual/multilingual in English and other languages) and you're interested in having an (online/email) chat, please let me know!

Many thanks,
Nicky
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,039 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 06:08 am
Nik16- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

I like to hear music sung in Italian. The words flow so beautifully. German, to me, sounds like a very harsh language, and does not seem to fit the poetry that is music.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 06:30 am
1) Spanish - very exquisite language in a song
(I also like German in a song. I sing German songs ("Lieder").)
2) ?
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 01:12 pm
Welcome Nik16 !

1) French (my native language), English (like this language, and understand it, so...), Japanese (undertand 1/20 word, but still it's a beautifull language), Spannish and Italian are also nice languages... it "sounds" pretty good.

2) Well... none (?)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 01:16 pm
Italian, Latin and Spanish...

I love Andrea Bocelli!!!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 01:21 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
German, to me, sounds like a very harsh language, and does not seem to fit the poetry that is music.

But I'm rather sure, satt will like this site:

German for music lovers :wink:
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 01:37 pm
There are lots of stereotypes. We follow some.

When I was a teenager, in the 70s, some people said Spanish was not made for heavy rock. Too many sillables, they said.
At the same time, Catalonian nationalist youths said that Catalan was the language for heavy rock (really an excuse to fight Castillian, imposed by the dying Franco regime).
By the end of the decade, the discussion was over. Great rock groups in Spanish appeared. Punk, heavy metal, plain rock...
Of course, I love any good lyrics in my beautiful native language.

German sounds great in Rock, as well as in Lieder and Opera. The thing is that if you don't understand the language, it's a little bit harder to enjoy throughly. (I remember a song by Udo Lindenberg "U-Rhesus Negativ", real cool).

Italian is good for anything (even if it has the syllable problem of Spanish), great for children's songs, but best for opera.

English is also quite flexible, but operas in English sound silly to me. I think this is more cultural than strictly linguistic: when I hear anything ressembling an aria in English, I think "Broadway musical".

Folk songs sound great in any language (the natural talent of the peoples of the world), and cartoon songs are particularly funny in Japanese.

---

Bonus: The lyrics of "Light my fire", sung by a Spanish speaker who knows very little English:

Yu now than beesanbeeram troo,
Yu now than beesanbeeram lyro,
if I'm beesanbeeram too,
girl we'd beesanbeeram highro,
come on baby, lyro fyro,
come on seren nighton fyro! Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 02:05 pm
Laughing I love that.

I like to hear music in almost all languages. I'm not paritcularly fond of high pitched asian or indian singing, but I have a hunch that is a bias of my western ear.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 02:09 pm
Thanks, Walter............That's a nice site! Very Happy
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 02:47 pm
Walter..
I have a CD which contains a track of "Moritat / Mack the Knife (Die Moritat von Mackie Messer)" sung by Bertolt Brecht himself, of which performance you probably know.
Brecht extremely places a stress on the "RRRR" pronunciation, and it sounds somewhat funny at first but causes effective results.
I have an MP3 file of the performance, and I can send it to you as a mail attachment if you let me know the mailing address. (The original recording was taken 1930 and already beyond copyrights duration.)
German consonants in the ending of words in a song sound very good, if they are pronounced expertly. Consonants seem to be an emphasis of training for biginners (and experts too) in German singing.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 02:52 pm
any comments about french songs?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 03:00 pm
Francis wrote:

"Je voudrais que tu me consoles" and it's "Le son qui tue" :wink:
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 03:11 pm
Francis wrote:

A recording of Cora Vaucaire's chanson singing used to be one of my most favorite tapes (yes "tapes").
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 03:18 pm
eheh!

it's not fair to kick someone down.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 03:20 pm
There is some people with good tastes!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 03:23 pm
In Japanese language, one sylable of a word has exactly a single vowel, and it may make singing in Japanese less difficult.

A song of a Latin verse seems not particularly difficult as it contains less consonants. When I was a boy I could sing a Latin song ("kyrie eleison" - the title itself is in Greek) without fully knowing the contents of the song.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 03:40 pm
What about modern russian songs?

I know some. "Lunnaya Tropa" from Alsu is really beautiful.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 05:50 pm
Francis wrote:

Can't avoid linking any French singer with Edith Piaf (if woman) or George Brassens or Charles Aznavour (if man).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 06:03 pm
To me all the Romance languages are beautiful to the ear. I'm a sound person, so I love the soft sounds. As Walter pointed out long ago, English is really a derivative of low German, but since I only speak one language fluently, I really can't comment as an expert.

Satt, I have been fascinated for some time by the beautiful music that is obviously Oriental, and is played behind the commercial for Sea World.

I couldn't access Walter's site.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 06:20 pm
I am fond of Thijs van Leer. where else can you hear Jazz/Rock/Yodeling in the original Dutch?
0 Replies