My Movie Journal

panzade

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 12:53 pm
Deer Hunter- So powerful I could never watch it again...

"Mau Mau Mau...a nightmarish sound.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 01:01 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I did see "Saved!" last night, a really brilliant satire on religion with a good payoff. I think you'd like it, Craven.

Thanks Wiz - might get it - I passed over it just because of the DVD case.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 02:08 pm
I'm glad someone mentioned they did not like Mystic River...House of Sand and Fog outranks all the films IMO of last years oscars...Schindler's List is in my top ten...As Good As It Gets was much better the 2nd time i watched it and if i just forgot that i dislike Jack Nicholson...Catch Me if You Can if forgetable...I love the Sting...but the 70's were a simpler time...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 03:35 pm
husker wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:
I did see "Saved!" last night, a really brilliant satire on religion with a good payoff. I think you'd like it, Craven.

Yes, it is a movie reminiscent of films like "The Breakfast Club" with a primarilly young cast but what a difference! It tackles it's subject matter unflinchingly and the characterzations are priceless.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 05:25 pm
As Good as It Gets-- I forgot how much I can't stand Helen Hunt during this movie. (Speaks volumes.) I guess people have tried to find a character that uses Nicholson's ..traits or quirks...to their highest capacity. I think this was it. One of my favorites. Possibly a chick flick, though.

The Deer Hunter--Some incredible mini-movies in here, but all together, a bit demanding on the viewer. But, should be seen. Like your vegetables should be eaten. Parts, harrowing.

Hey. You might want to try State and Main (Hollywood Humor), the Suicide Kings (black humor), Friday (really black humor).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 08:59 pm
Schindler's List came with a damaged first CD. I'll watch it when I get the replacement. While visiting my grandmother I was watching a biography of Howard Hughes and his story was facinating. Any good films come out of that soap opera? I found Outlaw on Netflix but suspect that I might save time merely by having a look at an image of large breasts.

We always watch stuff about her time, I say I was supposed to have lived in her heyday (I grew up on old films) and she says she was supposedto live in mine. Saw some Buster Keaton and want recommendations on his works as well.

Another one I want comments on: Jacob's Ladder.

The first school teacher I had recommended this movie very strongly "when you are old enough see Jacob's Ladder!".

Any good?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 09:16 pm
Jacob's Ladder - it's been a really long time, I might watch it again to remember some time. Gosh how old were you when the teacher told you that? That's what concerns me Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 09:46 pm
The Aviator (new movie with Leonardo DiCaprio and Cate Blanchett) is about Hughes. Read the review today, sounds convincing that it focuses on the boring parts, relatively speaking -- the playboy years rather than the unraveling that followed.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 10:43 am
My Mom worked for Hughes and I don't think you'll find his "playboy" years boring. His innovation in aviation including his own insistance on test flying his own designs should be very exciting to watch. It's really high class soap opera to be connected up with Katherine Hepburn!

I have a polishing wheel CD, DVD cleaner that takes out all minor scratches and I usually just run it through once if I get a DVD with too many scratches. That is one disadvantage of NetFLix -- my local DVD rental has an expensive machine that erradicates scratches. Even an oily thumbprint will mess up the tracking on a DVD.

"Hell's Angels" is the best film he directed of the two and is significant for being Jean Harlow's first big role and Howard Hughes insisting on flying one of the stunt planes, crashing it and breaking several bones. He had the film hand tinted before release and that's the version on DVD. It cost 3.8M to make and didn't turn a profit on its first run. "The Outlaw" is fun to watch as a curiousity but I wouldn't make it a point to rent it. He was also the producer of the original "Scarface" with Paul Muni and "The Front Page," two I'd highly recommend.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 11:24 am
Thursday night I went to see 5x2 with my two colleagues and a friend of theirs ... the new movie by François Ozon. Man. Is that a depressing movie. Not 'Eastern Europe' depressing as in, slow-moving black/white images of bleak landscapes with surly men trotting along to an existentially empty horizon, but depressing as in, up close and under your skin.

It's a pretty good movie. Not brilliant, but a skilled and uncomfortably close-up exercise in dissecting a failed relationship. All the more stronger, actually, for the relationship failing in such a, kinda, commonplace way - just man, woman, misunderstanding, marriage, baby, alienation, bitter end.

The gimmick about the movie is that it starts at the end, with the divorce proceedings, then works its way back into time through five individual scenes from their time together. The gimmick works in an interesting way, in that you catch yourself projecting things about where you know the relationship to be ending upon the "earlier" scenes that come later in the movie, which you would perhaps not have interpreted that way at all if you'd have seen them first. Hint of a brainfuck.

Still, I dont know how much I'll remember of it. M. said that Ozon's previous movies were much better.

Oh, and perhaps not the most obvious film to go see with colleagues.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 12:40 pm
husker wrote:
Jacob's Ladder - it's been a really long time, I might watch it again to remember some time. Gosh how old were you when the teacher told you that? That's what concerns me Wink

I was 11 or 12.

Re: Hughes, I put Philadelphia Story on my list. Not his but connected.

Wacthed Catch me if You Can. Liked it.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 05:52 pm
http://www.cineposters.com/home/Posters/90-101.jpg

jacob's ladder is trippy... it messes with you from beginning to end...
i highly recommend it Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 01:49 pm
Added Saved to my netflix queue (as the 500 film, at the limit again Rolling Eyes).

I recently watched The Birdcage and at first I thought it would be a boring film with people acting gay unfunnily. But the payoff came when they started trying to act straight. Some funny moments.

Yesterday I watched As Good as it Gets and loved it. I'm not sure if I was just in an impatient mood but even though I interupted the film for dinner with a friend (thusly breaking it up to more manageable bits) I found myself wanting it to end already. But I loved it, and it was a role made for Jack.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 08:18 pm
500 movies? Golly, Crave -- you're gonna be 50 by the time you're done.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 09:03 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Added Saved to my netflix queue (as the 500 film, at the limit again Rolling Eyes).

I recently watched The Birdcage and at first I thought it would be a boring film with people acting gay unfunnily. But the payoff came when they started trying to act straight. Some funny moments.

Yesterday I watched As Good as it Gets and loved it. I'm not sure if I was just in an impatient mood but even though I interupted the film for dinner with a friend (thusly breaking it up to more manageable bits) I found myself wanting it to end already. But I loved it, and it was a role made for Jack.

Damn. I loved that movie - long unruly thing that it was - but I thought you'd hate it - so I didn't dare recommend it.

I loved the bit when poor Jack is faced by the floor with the multiple tiles - and hence multiple cracks. And what a pig he is in the restaurant.

So - I will recommed Brazil - a truly long, unruly beast of a film - but it has stayed with me for the many years since I saw it - for the music, and the satire, and the sets - I don't know if I would still like it, though.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 02:19 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
husker wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:

Yes, it is a movie reminiscent of films like "The Breakfast Club" with a primarily young cast but what a difference! It tackles it's subject matter unflinchingly and the characterizations are priceless.

brilliant is good and I'm trying to decide on if I want the daughter watching - LOL - I did LOL at many parts and saw lots of truth, very politically correct
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 01:08 pm
Depends on how young your daughter is as I wouldn't recommend it for anyone fifteen or younger.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 01:03 am
I watched The Sting, it looked good but never really hooked me. I ended up multi tasking (reading) while watching.

Some of my earlier list is a bit daunting for my mood and schedule right now. So I'll be holding off on some of the heavier ones.

Right now I have:

Lost in Translation
Donnie Darko
The Terminal
The Manchurian Candidate (not the remake)
The Italian Job

Not sure when I'll get around to them but Donnie Darko is the most appealing of the bunch to me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 01:17 am
Hmmm - I loved Donnie Darko.

And the real Manchurian Candidate - paranoid Weltanschauung and all.....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 01:30 am
Craven how many can you have out at once?
0 Replies