My Movie Journal

farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 04:22 pm
21 grams is good but its a movie that relies on the gimmick of an "electro shock' plotline to do its story telling. DID you see The Shipping News? its a quiet and a little dark movie . Kevin Spaacey was good aand so was P Postelthwaite (the dino hunter in jurrasic park II)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 04:46 pm
The Shipping News was a hell of a good book, farmerman, but I've heard the movie was quite bad.

But you say it's worth a look? Good enough for me. I'll check it out.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 04:48 pm
superjuly wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:

50 First Dates

Horrible, but the best Sandler film I have seen.

Nooooo. Don't tell me you didn't like this movie. It is just so darn adorable.
My ex and I saw this movie together one night and gee did I cry!!! See... The movie is supposed to be so hilarious and all (which it was at some points) but it got me thinking about what my ex have had to, has to, and will always have to go through by having no STM.

Sorry, I just couldn't get past the holes in the whole memory loss idea and after that the only savinggrace would be for it to be funny, and it never was.

mac11 wrote:
CdK, I'm surprised you didn't comment on that same cute little girl being in both I Am Sam and Man on Fire.

Ahh yes, but she was much cuter in I am Sam. The relationship between her and her father in I am Sam was special.

Magus wrote:
Sorry, Craven, but judging a film by its appearance on a 1-inch screen is unfair... the limitations of your new toy will affect your experience more than the content of the material in the film.

The relegation to one-inch screen was the judging itself based on a prior determination of lacking worth,

Quote:
It's like judging a symphonic piece based upon its rendition by a solo accordianist.

No, it's nothing like that at all. You've jumped to conclusions again.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:01 pm
Rolling Eyes

(Note to self: never critique the new toy until the novelty wears off)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:04 pm
Magus wrote:
Rolling Eyes

(Note to self: never critique the new toy until the novelty wears off)

Magus,

Again, it's not a toy. You are misunderstanding what the one-inch screen is and jumping to conclusions.

The one-inch screen is a Windows Media Player setting that has been around for years now.

You persist in jumping to conclusions and cleaving unto them.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:10 pm
He said "cleaving unto them"!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:17 pm
Just finished reading Day after Tomorrow, which I assume has similarities to the movie. First 1/4 - 1/3 of book was tightly written and kept my interest; I sped-read the last 2/3, ridiculous unto boring.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:13 pm
Fast comments on a few of the talked-about films:

The Day After Tomorrow- Quite watchable on the big screen, if you're in the mood and don't expect too much. The best scenes are already in the trailer.

I am Sam - Gladly surprised that Craven loved it. I've seen it twice and it's a little jewel. Americans better realize that Sean Penn is the best actor of his generation.

Luther - An interesting political film.

50 First Dates - Passed through it, half asleep, during an intercontinental flight. All I can say is that Adam Sandler's best performance is as Opera Man in SNL.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:19 pm
fbaezer wrote:
The Day After Tomorrow- Quite watchable on the big screen, if you're in the mood and don't expect too much. The best scenes are already in the trailer.

I made sure to watch all the special effects bonanzas on a large screen. Wasn't too impressed (getting numb to simply state of the art CGI).

Quote:
Americans better realize that Sean Penn is the best actor of his generation.

Well, he played a retarded character and that's the first step toward recognition here.

Any Mexican films to recommend fbaezer? If you have a lot to say on it maybe a new thread?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:24 pm
I'll ditto swimpy's recommendation of Maria, Full of Grace. One of the best films I've seen in a long time. Considering how much I dislike most non-animated films, that's saying a LOT.

Glad to hear you're having a grand, cleaving unto, time IRL, cdK.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:43 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

Any Mexican films to recommend fbaezer? If you have a lot to say on it maybe a new thread?

Nah, this year has been bad crop.
The best this year, so far, is "A Day Without a Mexican", already commented on a thread about that specific, very minor, film.

Better 2004 films, originally in Spanish are "La Mala Educación", extreme Almodóvar and "The Motorcycle Diaries", about the famous South American tour made by young Ché Guevara. It's odd that both films have the same lead actor. Gael García Bernal plays Ché Guevara in "Diarios..." and a male-hungry transvestite (if we don't want spoilers) in "La Mala..."
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:44 pm
Well it can be from other than this year...

Recent movie crops have been pretty lame all around.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:55 pm
Then I'd go down the beaten path, imagine what's available at world video stores, choose "Amores Perros" and "Y Tu Mamá También", and let non-Mexicans wonder if we have another actor besides Gael.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:59 pm
fbaezer,

care to join me here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40325
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:39 pm
Just purchased
Master and Commander
Big Fish (might gift it but I really like it)
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 08:08 pm
The Shipping News is a great book but a so-so movie.

The Door in the Floor was a good film, I've seen recently. Don't know if it's on dvd yet.

Farmerman~ I disagree about 21 grams. I think it was a good story even told in linear time.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:17 pm
I loved "Love actually" but I guess that's not a
guy movie.
Sam I am, I agree, very touching

Spanish Prisoner is one of the best movies I've seen
great mind game about plagiarism

Agnes Brown also a good movie with Angelica Houston. I saw this movie on a plane and next to me sat
a marine who had tears in his eyes at the end of the movie.

Goodby Lenin will be my next movie rental
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 06:15 pm
There's "Osama" about a young girl who tries to pass for a boy in Afganistan under the Taliban.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:08 pm
Watched Mystic River yesterday.

They could and should have done much better with that story IMO.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 06:23 pm
Went to see Jarmusch' Coffee and Cigarettes just now. God that was a bit of a disappointment.

I love Jarmusch's movies. That is, I loved the bunch of his early movies I saw - Down By Law, Mystery Train, Permanent Vacation. Didn't like Dead Man so much and then kinda lost track. But this seemed like a cool idea, so I went to see it with high expectations.

It turns out that this is typically one of those ideas, though, that's mostly really genius as an idea. You know, the kind of idea you carry around with you for years, that you'll record the odd scene for whenever you get the ghost, and that you keep going back to in, you know, late-night discussions with spirited or melancholic friends who know how to bullshit, over, well, cigarettes and coffee. You know: wouldnt it be, like, great, to just have this movie where you get these weird but strikingly familiar personas meet up over ever the same kind of setting, and just kinda bullshit a little, be funny or wry or mostly just themselves, and most of all, of course: surreal? Like, wouldnt that be great, and you get, like, Tom Waits and Bill Murray and Iggy Pop and Cate Blanchett and that crazy guy Benigni and Buscemi of course and some of those rappers, you know? All just kinda free-flowing? Hey, it worked with Blue in the Face, that was a piece of genius shot as an afterthought to Smoke, and if anyone can do a thing like that its (me, ) Jim Jarmusch, right?

Great nights, spent that way, just shooting the crap, speculating, coming up with ideas. And it would have remained a great story and a great idea if he hadnt actually decided to put it all together and actually make the movie and distribute it as a feature length.

I dunno. It had its moments - I kinda liked the Cate Blanchett one, and the one with the 24 Hour Party People guy and the actor, and most of all, I loved the music, always kinda vaguely present in the background. As an ode to, you know, diner, roadside, city pub and other joints and the various cool music that may vaguely encroach on your awareness there, it works awright - I mean, it would as a feature in some videoart exhibit, where you would just sample the one or two. The places themselves, the pubs cafes whatever, were great. The last one ("joie de vivre") was kinda moving, and brilliantly shot. But all in all perhaps the best thing about the whole movie was that the last line of the credits rolling off the screen was "Long Live Joe Strummer" (he's one of my heroes). And thats kind of a bit little.
0 Replies