My Movie Journal

Swimpy

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 08:58 pm
I just finished watching "The Fog of War" ...remarkable.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:46 pm
Just watched IRobot - dumb but liked it. Have Collertal for later tonight or in the morning.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 09:47 am
Also watched "The Fog of War" very recently -- a great documentary and very revelatory of what a foolish adventure the War in Vietnam actually was, especially in not "emphathizing with your enemy," something Rumsfeld could pull his clay feet out of the quicksand and listen to. Here and there, MacNamara did appear to rationalize some decisions and blame them on a dead man! Obviously there is one thing the US government learns from history -- they don't learn from history.

I was tempted to rent "I, Robot" even though I almost hate seeing Isaac Azimov's Robot Series made into what looks like a pedestrian action movie. Just put "Collateral" on my NetFlix queue.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 12:21 pm
LW ~ I was struck by Mac Namara's candor, and also by his blame shifting. He shifted blame while trying to take a small amount of responsibility as well. At 85, he has some sh*t to work through before meeting his maker.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 12:54 pm
About "I, Robot".

It was well above my expectations, even if it's far from a masterpiece. I also, like LW, thought I'd see "a pedestrian action movie". It was not.

I like science-fiction films that consider ontological(the human condition of the robot), ethical (the "scientific" decision of which life should be saved) or social (the strange city with castes) problems.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 06:21 pm
I stand corrected -- you mean to say it does delve deeping into the sociological repercusions of the introduction of robots? The scenerio of the film actually sounds more like Azimov's later detective robot novel, "The Caves of Steel." I guess I'll take your advice and go ahead and rent it -- I know you are very far away so you're safe! Very Happy
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 06:24 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I guess I'll take your advice and go ahead and rent it -- I know you are very far away so you're safe! Very Happy

Laughing

Anyway, I'll keep an eye of any UFO coming from the Northwest and aimed to my head.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 06:39 pm
I cried while watching The Fog of War. It made me think of some very damaged friends.

A good documentary, truly painful to keep watching at some moments.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 06:59 pm
Seeings today we have a "CEO" President, it certainly doesn't speak well for that sort trying to run a war. To be fair, Bush's experience as a CEO or any kind of a business leader is based on a self-appointment to the post as the head of his failed businesses.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 07:00 pm
(Anyway, don't want to hog Craven's movie journal and I'm hoping there will be new entires forthcoming...hint, hint).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 11:39 am
Just watched I, Robot. I liked it. Coulda been a lot better but I enjoyed it.

Here are the ones I am now deciding between, any comments would be appreciated:

Brazil
Memento (already seen and didn't much like, will try again sometime)
Schindler's List
As Good as It Gets
The Sting
Catch Me If You Can
The Deer Hunter
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 11:59 am
Schindler's List - long and powerful, very emotional movie, worth seeing though.

As Good as it Gets - Jack Nicholsen is brilliant playing an
older gentleman with obsessive behavior. Helen Hunt was
perfectly paired with him. A nice feel good movie.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 12:25 pm
Brief comments on the ones I've seen:

Brazil : brilliant; nightmarish and yet, fun.
As Good as It Gets : Interesting, great performances.
The Sting : Entertaining, not Oscar matter.
Catch Me If You Can : Much better than I thought, among the best Spielberg flicks, I think you'll enjoy it.
The Deer Hunter : Engaging, but I felt, at the time, that it was somewhat propagandistic.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 12:31 pm
Good list -- I think you might find Terry Gilliam's satire on satirical future fiction (honestly!) a great deal of fun -- the commentary on plastic surgery is profoundly funny (I'm chuckling just thinking about it). Also would highly recommend "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen," likely the other great fantasy film besides "The Wizard of Oz" and LOTR.

"The Sting" is Newman and Redford on the same high plane as "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." It shows how well film can tell a story -- the final sting is classic.

"Catch Me If You Can" is a biopic and directed with an adept power that's identified with Spielberg. De Caprio nails this one -- he get's the oily slickness of the character down pat and the changing of the character into redemption. The capture sequence is riveting.

"The Deer Hunter" is long (maybe too long for some) and works best on the big screen. It's profoundly epic and that last scene is reminiscent of "All Quiet on the Western Front." An anti-war film that doesn't overdo the message but the scenes in the bamboo cage and the gambling game with the firearm could choke anyone's composure.

I had to see "Memento" three times before I warmed up to it -- certainly unique but it requires uninterrupted concentration. You could watch it backwards, scene by scene!

Ditto Calamity on "Schindler's List" -- difficult to watch at times but Spielberg manages to deliver the coda without his off-putting sentimentality. Be prepared for a profoundly sad movie with some superlative performances.

I'm not sure you'd like "As Good As It Gets" but the performances certainly are there. It could be called a chick flick, but it's a bittersweet chick flick -- not superficial at all.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 12:34 pm
Mystic River is very good, especially after I read the book. I agree though, that it was slightly over-rated. The Eastwood-Unforgiven factor.

Sam I AM...watched it many times. Very touching.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 12:35 pm
If i may sugguest two movies...
The first being
Rudy- small town boy grows up loving Notre Dame with dreams of playing for them. By far one of my most favorite movies.

the second being

legend, - an older movie, one of Tom Curise's first films i believe. its mystical and filled full of fantasy. I enjoyed because it was different and was one of the films that got me into the fantsay genre.

oh and few more that just came to mind. time bandits. this is an old movie as well... it involves vertically changelled people.. check it out ifyouhave time... and also

WILLOW! such a great movie... and LW correct me if im wrong, but i believe its Val Kelimers first film. Its a great movie that i love and can watch at any time.

*disclaimer- the above statements are opinions of the aurthor and only of said aurthor. If you dont like these choices that is for you. Smile
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 12:42 pm
watched Maria Full of Grace last night will watch it again in a few hours to pick up on the little things. A couple beautiful girls in this movie. Storyline is hard hitting - close to reality I wonder.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 12:48 pm
"Top Secret! " was Kilmer's first small part and he was in "Top Gun" before "Willow."

I like "Willow" but it has a lot of elements that are derived from "The Lord of the Rings" (admittedly it is somewhat derived from fantasy and mythology from its past!)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 12:50 pm
I did see "Saved!" last night, a really brilliant satire on religion with a good payoff. I think you'd like it, Craven.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 12:50 pm
-shrinks away as he was horrible wrong on that little note-
0 Replies