Aluminum Foil and Teeth

Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:08 am
Yesterday during lunch I inadvertently bit into a small piece of foil and had immediate pain. I'm sure this has happened to many of you. I never really knew why. I figured with all the intelligent people on this site, one of you would know why biting into foil on a filling causes such pain? And does anything else cause a similar reaction?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,356 • Replies: 9
No top replies

superjuly

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:32 am
Quote:

Silver Dental Fillings and Aluminum Foil

That is exactly what you get...an electric shock. The filling is made of an amalgam of mercury and either tin or silver. When the aluminum foil touches the filling, a galvanic cell is created in the mouth. Aluminum is the anode, the filling is the cathode and the saliva is the electrolyte 'salt bridge.' The contact essentially short circuits the cell and a small amount of current flows which is sensed by the nerves in the teeth. There is the pain you feel.

I think this covers it. I googled "aluminum foil teeth". Wink
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:53 am
Ooooh...............Just mentioning aluminum foil and teeth makes me feel funny! Mad
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 12:06 pm
See I knew some one out there would know this useless information. Of course! Google is a great source. I always seem to get a lot of crap when I google though that makes no sense at all for what I am looking for.

Alright smart a**es - do the newer fillings, the white ones cause this same pain? Are these fillings made of the same stuff or would I be safe if I replace my silver fillings for this new stuff. I never what to experience this pain again.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 01:18 pm
I hate the way that cheap, splintery chopsticks feel on my teeth.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 02:45 pm
Linkat... How often do you bite into small pieces of aluminum foil? hehe The reason why I ask is.... Not long ago I had one of my "mercury fillings" replaced by one of the new ones due to a crack. Oboy! It is definitely not worth going through the pain if there's no other necessary reason behind it. At least in my opinion...

(flinching)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 02:54 pm
I like having poisionous metal in my mouth. I wouldn't give up my old fillings for anything.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:59 pm
Ewwww.......I have done that too. I hate it. Just the thought of it, makes my mouth water and my cheeks hurt! Shocked

But now I know!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 04:11 pm
I hate those wooden flat things they give you with hoodsies (sp?) and other ice creams. Like the cheap chopsticks. Gives me the shivers.

Superjuly - this is the first in years. I had one filling replaced with that new stuff two. It was uncomfortable but I did not find it particularly painful. But I did have the dentist give me lots of Novocain. And the white stuff looks much better, but it did cost a little more.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 05:35 pm
Yes, Linkat. They do look much much better than the older ones. And I know that they are slightly more expensive too. Medicaid covered mine at that time though. eh... Go figure!
0 Replies