my boyfriend doesnt want to socialize with my friends

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 12:16 pm
I am torn by my boyfriend’s behavior. We’ve been together for 6 ½ years and I care about him deeply. I am in my late 30th and he is 9 years older. I do think he is a good-hearted man who means well, albeit abit stubborn. Here is the situation:

I am an immigrant (my whole family lives oversees) and I used to work a lot of hours when we first got back together. I switched my career a couple of years ago and that is when I started realizing I want to expend/improve my social circle. This is where our arguments have started. He is extremely extroverted (when traveling or out and about he has the need to talk to every single person. Basically his whole career is based on calling strangers and getting them to catch/connect with him at some level.) Sometimes I think his interactions are repetitious (like a salesman), but I also see he has been able to developed true friendships where his friends rely on him for personal/career advice and it’s also pretty obvious they would be there for him if needed.

However, he doesn’t like to socialize with my friends. For the most part I don’t mind socializing alone (he doesn’t prevent me to at all), but from time to time I do like him to come along (especially if it’s a couples things). We have fought over this and we have established some compromises. He promised to attend one thing a month if I really want him to (which ends up being more like few times a year, so I don’t ask him to participate often). I do think this has helped abit - he is starting to understand how important having a social circle is to me. He also puts up less resistance, but still this whole process is not smooth and it remains a battle between us.

For example, the first time in the 6 years we’ve been together I hosted a little sport-event-watching brunch party at our place. When I first set it up, it became a whole issue him being upset that he had to be part of it. After a fight, he apologized and agreed to participate. And indeed he did stay for the whole game, but left right after the game for a bike-ride when the first people started leaving. I thought it was rude and we got into a fight about it, but reached a conclusion that he indeed try his best and people started leaving already anyway.

He can also be very intense with people. He would be the guy asking an Asian friend whom he just met whether she would date white guys, etc. Sometimes he just say things that I find inappropriate. Again his contra-argument is that he ‘would bet his money on him’ how to interact with people given he has made a very successful career based on building personal rapport with people (and that is true.. he has created long lasting business relationships where his clients also end up inviting him to weddings, etc.). I know some of my friends find him a bit odd…

So the dilemma is: am I being too demanding and unfair? He resists saying I have standards no one can live up to and am too uptight. My argument is that from time to time he should compromise and socialize with my friends without creating friction. I feel like we both are trying to find a middle-ground and do things that we don’t necessarily would otherwise to save the relationship. I just want to understand whether I should back-off and let just socialize on my own (apart from very formal events, such as weddings, work parties, etc). I am just very tired of fighting with him about this issue.

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 12:23 pm
@totofirst,
Given your description of his behaviour, he doesn't sound like someone I'd want to introduce to my friends. Socialize with your friends, let him socialize with his friends. There is no reason the two groups have to overlap.

He doesn't have to attend parties you host. If he does - he should be expected to behave appropriately. If he can't, I'd encourage him to be elsewhere during your party.

I don't think you are being reasonable or unreasonable, you just have different ideas from your boyfriend. That's not bad - if you can agree to disagree on this topic. I don't think it's worth fighting about. I don't think there's any need for him to attend weddings/work functions with you.
0 Replies

totofirst

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 12:47 pm
sorry for the myriad of grammar errors! I posted before I thoroughly proofread everything...
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 01:53 pm
No - this is important if you see marriage on the horizon.

Hes a salesperson. His job is to charm and disarm - to make the sale. So when hes not "selling" himself or his product, he detaches. Thats what he is doing when asked to socialize when he cant make "a sale." Hes bored or just not interested in real interactions with people - who are not clients.

This could become a real problem later, especially if you want to entertian or even at family events.

Maybe the gap in your ages has something to do with it. But I hear too many women say their man won't participate in social activities, so imagine this in the future.

totofirst

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 02:20 pm
@PUNKEY,
That's so true - he is indeed a salesman and gets bored with my friends.

Although he has met my family oversees several times and he is actually pretty good with them: interactive, interested, cooking with my mom, conversing with my sis, etc... We've already visited 4 times together.

But indeed, entertaining my friends is basically a struggle..

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 02:21 pm
@PUNKEY,
There is a lot to be said for having a boyfriend or husband who is actually interested in people in a not for profit way. Or girlfriend, putting these kind of situations on the other foot.

I've been lucky that way pretty much most of my now longish life. I'm so glad about the people I've gotten to know. No, not always liking, but usually appreciating somewhat. I admit I can get highly irritated, but that is not all that often. I've known some pretty interesting people.

So, I agree with Punkey on this.
totofirst

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 02:35 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Well, I don't think he is interested in people in 'profit way.' His circle of friends include lots of people who have nothing to do with his business (or any form of profit). so I can't quite pinpoint that would be the issue...
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 02:56 pm
@totofirst,
So, I did misunderstand. You were going on about him being a salesman catch everybody type and then dropping interest in socializing with your friends.

As ehBeth said, you don't have to. People vary in what they want.

I would want more, at least once in a while. The word 'while' can vary.

totofirst

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 03:18 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Well, it's both. His job requires lots of interactions and it's high stimulating in terms of verbal communicating. I believe it's natural that his work 'sale' behavior transfers into his personal life (he has been doing the same job for 18 years...) However, again, he is not only 'profit' orientated person. He has friends from all sort of life (high-school, art buddies from college, etc..)
But it's also obvious that my friends are not necessarily 'his' type of people. We've talked about it. It's not because there is anything negative about them, it's simply not his crowd. I am also fine accepting that, as I believe we don't have to necessarily love everyone.
My struggle is how much I can push him to make effort to socialize with me and whether I am being unreasonable in demanding it... And mainly I am trying to understand why this is such a struggle between? And how normal/abnormal this is...
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 04:10 pm
@totofirst,
I understand now, or think I do. I get your need for occasional socializing together... perhaps on some occasion or other.

Switching to me for a minute or half hour, not for attention but to tell you where I'm coming from - not that I expect you to be me, but to add to consideration.

I married late (in my thirties) to a much younger man. It worked for decades, and then didn't, but we both understand and still catch up on ourselves and longtime friends every so often.

His friends were theater people, mostly, great hoggers of dining table talk, but what can you do with actors, often entertaining. They were generally up on academic hoo haw. Both he and I cooked, and friends of both of ours joined in to talk or help cook or carry stuff outside, whichever time.
We had an open house on some occasions such as New Years (I called, including my cousins, people showed up).

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 04:23 pm
@totofirst,
So - good with your family, not so interested in your friends.

My view would be to accept it. Socialize with your friends and leave him out of it. My partner and I very occasionally socialize together. He likes some of my friends, I have liked some of his but bottom line - the same things don't interest us socially. I don't care that much about movies or talking about history. He's not terribly interested in live music, dance, well, any kind of performance. I think we've really shared a half dozen or so parties over close to 20 years. It's ok. We don't have to enjoy the same things or people.
chai2

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 07:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Same here.

If I think of my good friends, than his, there is exactly one person that either of us share in common. Even then, that person isn't someone he would contact to hang out with or just text back and forth being social.

Why would he expect me to become friends with someone he likes, or vice versa?

0 Replies

totofirst

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 09:12 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you. This is such a great insight. I am glad you made your relationship work and found what works for you and your partner!
0 Replies

totofirst

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2017 09:13 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Thank you for sharing!
0 Replies