Stress and aging

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 02:09 pm
I thought this was interesting enough to post on a2k.
Stress May Promote Aging of Cells

Mon Nov 29, 5:40 PM ET Health - Reuters

By Karla Gale

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A new finding may explain how stress could ultimately lead to premature aging.

Chronic psychological stress is associated with accelerated shortening of the caps, called telomeres, on the ends of chromosomes in white blood cells -- and thus hasten their demise -- according to a report in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (news - web sites).

Telomeres promote chromosome stability, Dr. Elissa S. Epel at the University of California, San Francisco, and her colleagues explain. Telomeres shorten with each replication of the cell, and cells cease dividing when telomeres shorten sufficiently.

The team investigated the theory that psychological stress affects telomere shortening and thereby contributes to accelerated aging.

Their study included 39 healthy, premenopausal women who were primary caregivers for a child with a chronic illness, and 19 age-matched mothers of healthy children who served as a comparison "control" group.

Stress was measured with a standardized questionnaire, and telomere length was measured in participants' blood samples.

Within the caregiving group, the longer that a woman had been a caregiver, the shorter was the length of telomeres.

In the 14 women with the highest stress scores, telomeres averaged 3,110 units in length; the 14 with the lowest stress had telomeres that averaged 3,660 units.

In adults, telomeres shorten by an average of 31 to 63 units per year, so the scientists estimate that the 550-unit shortening in the high-stress group translates to 9 to 17 additional years of aging.

These findings may have implications for human health, co-author Dr. Elizabeth H. Blackburn, also at UCSF, told Reuters Health, since telomere shortening is associated with premature death from cardiovascular disease and infections.

While the number of years that mothers had been a caregiver did matter, "not all caregivers fell into the high-stress group," she added. "This points to the importance of trying to use stress reduction interventions as much as possible."

SOURCE: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, online November 29, 2004.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,157 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 02:17 pm
Yup, c.i.- Very interesting.One of the things that I have noticed for years is that US presidents age appreciably and visibly during their term of office, even when one considers that time has elapsed.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 05:03 pm
Shocking? P-lease! If they had just asked people who suffer from large ammounts of stress, we could have told them this long ago.

A hate these bogus studies. Things like "proving" that smoking is deadly. Or that excersize is good.

People know. We don't need research.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 05:13 pm
SCoates, Maybe you did, but this is the first time I heard of telomeres and cell counts to determine how much they affect age. Sorry, but I posted this for the folks who may find value in this information.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 06:40 pm
I'm just play'n wicha, ci.

Honestly, though, I have always felt like I'm aging more quickly when I'm stressed out.
0 Replies

primergray

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 08:18 pm
The T cells of HIV+ persons also have shortened telomeres:
link
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:16 pm
prime, Your link doesn't woik.
0 Replies

primergray

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:37 pm
edited
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:40 pm
prime, Very informative link. Thx. c.i.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:52 pm
ah, all data adds up.

this telomeres business sounds intersting,

Getting data to be clean in any way, and to get the purview to be smart... well, let me guess that every single study ever has a small or large problem.

But... my pov, we ought to be paying attention.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:01 pm
For sure.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 01:29 am
Yup, c.i.- Very interesting.One of the things that I have noticed for years is that US presidents age appreciably and visibly during their term of office, even when one considers that time has elapsed (posted by Phoenix32890)

I saw Clinton today and he looks awful. He was thoroughly diseased before leaving office. I know I am going to outlive Clinton. Cool
0 Replies